Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

OK, someone has to say it. Your neighbors are going to hate you. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by nater1 View Post

You know how everyone says that the volume is deceving on these? For the first time in two years the lady upstairs pounded on the floor for me to be quiet...

Babe Ruth aint got nothing on me. biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Congrats, looking forward to hear what you think.
post #33 of 53 Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have been listening to these for 2 days now, and I have spent more time listening in those 2 days to music than I have in the past 2 months.

Like I said, I am upgrading from a front stage comprised of the paradigm studio line that are a few years old, and the difference is night and day. This is my first experience with constant directivity speakers, and it really is a huge difference. The front sound stage is huge in comparison to my old setup. I also do not miss my center channel at all, the center of the sound stage is locked into the front of the room far better than before, and that was with a center channel!

I love how deep they dig, I have them set to full range right now, and the gains in midbass are huge in room. Everyone who has heard them has been floored with how great they sound.

One thing that is cool is that my audyssey (XT32) shows almost no EQ'ing from 150hz up until 20khz. My old speakers had a ton of EQing in that range, these guys are totally flat.

Measurements: I spoke to my friend who lives here in town, and he has an omnimic setup. He will be stopping by next weekend for some measurements, so I will post them after we are done.

If anyone is in the Columbus Ohio area and wants to hear them, PM me and we can set something up!
saginawjuggalo and Rebel975 like this.
post #34 of 53 Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

awesome
im curious how those measure and how much lower they play vs the Tempests

They're both now tuned the same so they really won't play much lower.

When Jeff first designed them, he tuned the Zephyr lower and the Tempest higher. But after a few weeks of testing, he thought the Tempest sounded great tuned the same way. The Tempest will have a little more upper bass kick though.
post #35 of 53 Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:

You know how everyone says that the volume is deceiving on these? For the first time in two years the lady upstairs pounded on the floor for me to be quiet... The low end is no joke on these things, I am running them full range, and they are making my 12" paradigm sub look bad.

I have been listening to these for 2 days now, and I have spent more time listening in those 2 days to music than I have in the past 2 months.

Like I said, I am upgrading from a front stage comprised of the paradigm studio line that are a few years old, and the difference is night and day. This is my first experience with constant directivity speakers, and it really is a huge difference. The front sound stage is huge in comparison to my old setup. I also do not miss my center channel at all, the center of the sound stage is locked into the front of the room far better than before, and that was with a center channel!

I love how deep they dig, I have them set to full range right now, and the gains in midbass are huge in room. Everyone who has heard them has been floored with how great they sound.

That's perfect for a copy/paste right into a review on the site! biggrin.gif I'm sure Jeff will be glad you like those speakers.

Great build.
Rebel975 likes this.
post #36 of 53 Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 AM

Liked: 11
Finally I found a thread with the same speakers as I am getting. I can't wait to build, these look great!
Rebel975 likes this.
post #37 of 53 Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdemarco View Post

Finally I found a thread with the same speakers as I am getting. I can't wait to build, these look great!

I think you will really enjoy them! I enjoy mine more and more. My friend should be coming over friday after work with his omnimic, so I should have measurements posted by this weekend.

How far into your build are you?
post #38 of 53 Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 AM

Liked: 11
Not enough to start a thread. I've bought the wood, (making my own cabinets) and the speakers are currently in Buffalo where I plan to pick them up shortly!
post #39 of 53 Old 04-22-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Ok guys, I am about to order the 3rd of my Zephyrs (getting married really slows things down!), and I want to throw in 2 of the 8" designs for surrounds. Does anyone have an opinion of the alpha 8 vs the alchemy? I guess I am not really sure which way to go.
post #40 of 53 Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
I can't believe you like these better than Paradigm studio speakers. The studios are like... $1000 - $2000 a pair..
post #41 of 53 Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

I can't believe you like these better than Paradigm studio speakers. The studios are like... $1000 - $2000 a pair..

And? So are my Axiom M80's and I have no doubt my AE build will leave them firmly in the rear view.

1) Better drivers
2) CD vs tweeter (personal preference but a high quality CD trumps tweeter any day)
3) Better xover (you should see the xover in my Axioms and I'm sure most companies are doing things much differently)
Rebel975 likes this.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #42 of 53 Old 05-03-2013, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

Ok guys, I am about to order the 3rd of my Zephyrs (getting married really slows things down!), and I want to throw in 2 of the 8" designs for surrounds. Does anyone have an opinion of the alpha 8 vs the alchemy? I guess I am not really sure which way to go.

id go with the fusion 8 to save money, for rears you really dont need the extra power handling and such that the alpha give you
post #43 of 53 Old 05-03-2013, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

UI really do enjoy them more.

1. Cost is not a fair comparison... These things are 500 bucks each (with flat packs), but that is with Erich making no profit on the parts, and totally unassembled. You think paradigm has that much money in parts in a speaker that retails for 1500? Sure, they are not as pretty, but that's my fault for notbuilding them to be prettier.

2. They sound better in my room to me. They have better extension, and they sound much nicer. I think a lot of that has to do with the basic fact that this type of design plays better with non ideal rooms.

3. Louder for any given amount of power. And they sound far less strained at higher volumes. They just always seem to want more!

4. Something about their sound I really like, I'm not a audio reviewer, so I don't have the words, but I just really dig them.
saginawjuggalo likes this.
post #44 of 53 Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I am just curious to know which of the Paradigm Studio's did you previously own? The Studio 100 or Studio 60 perhaps?

How do the mid-range and high frequencys compare on the Paradigms versus the Seos?
post #45 of 53 Old 05-03-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

They're both now tuned the same so they really won't play much lower.

When Jeff first designed them, he tuned the Zephyr lower and the Tempest higher. But after a few weeks of testing, he thought the Tempest sounded great tuned the same way. The Tempest will have a little more upper bass kick though.

I was going to say, if they go lower than the Tempests that would be crazy impressive! I've heard and we measured MrSmithers Tempests in my room and they didn't drop off until 28hz!!! I assume that's way lower than they are rated for but that's what the omnimic said and my ears agreed.
post #46 of 53 Old 05-03-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I am just curious to know which of the Paradigm Studio's did you previously own? The Studio 100 or Studio 60 perhaps?

How do the mid-range and high frequencys compare on the Paradigms versus the Seos?

I had the studio 40 for the FL and FR, the studio center (I forget the naming), and the studio 20's for rear channels.

I very much enjoy the waveguide/compression driver combo over that of the paradigms, they are just as detailed, but seemingly a bit more relaxed and easier to listen to at high volume. I am building a center channel here soon (it's on order) just to finish off the front 3 speakers. Like I said, it is not just my opinion, but everyone who has heard them really do prefer them over the paradigms, especially at high volumes. I think if my room was better treated, and my setup more ideal, the paradigms would have sounded a lot better than they did, I just did not have the ideal space for them.
saginawjuggalo likes this.
post #47 of 53 Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
I'm not doubting your observation I just find it interesting. I think I'm going to have to get some of these waveguide speakers myself and see what the fuss is all about.
post #48 of 53 Old 05-03-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

If you (or anyone else) are in central Ohio, I would be more than happy to demo them.

We tried to get some measurements the other day, but it seems like the omnimic we were using was bad (that or my speakers really are 20db down at 12,000hz... I'm going with the omnimic being bad!) Once partsexpress gets a new one out here, we shall try again!
post #49 of 53 Old 05-04-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Thanks for the comparo to the Paradigm Studios. I am always curious to hear people impressions of different speakers.
post #50 of 53 Old 07-21-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Just as an update, I am almost done with my third zephyr, I just need to paint it. I have really been suprised by the phantom center, but its time to really see the difference in my listening space. I am now looking to surrounds, but I hear a few new designs will appear in the coming months, so I am going to hold off for a bit.
Jimmys15 and Rebel975 like this.
post #51 of 53 Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

I finished my 3rd zephyr, please ignore the speaker stands, I need to build some to fit my setup. For now I am going to omit a sub as I live in an apartment and don't want to upset my neighbors. I am waiting to see what come next from Erich for surrounds before I pull the trigger on those. I would love to see some coaxial kits! IMAG0291_zps9c6f28fa.jpg
post #52 of 53 Old 08-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Those look so awesome!! I look forward to your impressions.
post #53 of 53 Old 08-04-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 305
build a sub, chances are your neighbors already hate you biggrin.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page