First DIY build, Duel 18s - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So after many many threads and questions, I have finally completed my first DIY subwoofers. I ended up going with two Dayton Audio 18" HOs in a sealed enclosure with a EP4000 amp to power them. First off, I am 17 and still in high school and I have had to pay for everything in my room myself so the green couch with blue walls and everything. It is what it is. biggrin.gif I know compared to most of what is on here, it isn't very nice but I love it. The room is about 11X10X horrible ceilings.

So I have never done much with building stuff with wood my entire life, except the little garage kid things. So I cut all the sides myself which generally speaking were terrible cuts. I didn't have a straight edge or anything just a circle saw I think. Anyways I ended up getting really lucky that my next door neighbor is a professional cabinet builder. I didn't know this before everything but my mom did since she knows his wife. I went over there, told him my idea, he understood everything and told me he would help me build them. My first thought is "this is great!! How much is it going to cost?". So I asked him about it and he said that this now his hobby and he isn't going to charge me anything. I was extastic about that. The next day I take everything over too him, he looks over my cuts, decides we need to shrink the box a little because nothing was square or straight etc. So that is what we did. The boxes are held together with PL Premium and Brad nails. So enough talk. Time for pictures biggrin.gif

This is one side of his shop. Lots of stuff that I have never heard of or even seen before. He had some huge air filter above us, the shop is a HVAC system, and lots of lighting.

I didn't really get the chance to take a lot of pictures so they bounce a lot.

This is how we cut the baffles. A little different but hey it worked.

The overall cuts turned out pretty good.

Putting together a little bit

We ran out of clamps. He said that no matter what you will never have enough clamps.

All done! Well almost

Time to paint. It is kinda cold here in Indiana so my parents were nice enough to let me paint them in our living room when they weren't home. biggrin.gif

Primed

SEXY

I bought a body pillow and split it up between the two. lol

Now pictures of the my media room its self. I can't call it a "Theater" because I sleep in this room too.

Other woofer

I kinda like the silver screws that contrast the black...

ARX! biggrin.gif

Now here is the TERRIBLE part...

I kinda got fired from my job. So I kinda ran out of money to afford a 2496... Getting around too that... Anyways overall it has been great. I love the bass, it sounds so much better than my Rythmik FV12P, that is for sale now. I am thinking $350 plus shipping. Still figuring everything out though, the gain etc. The EP4000 is LOUD! Driving me crazy... My mom and I are running a dedicated 20amp to my room this summer for it. It sometimes dims my lights. The bass to me sounds effortless and just clean. I really don't know how to describe it other than it is great. I listened to the same bass mix Archea used in his GTG with the caps etc. Just amazing. I listen to about every type of music out their and it is just great. Although I wonder if it is bad to say I want two more... I got up to 110dbs with it sorta turned up. I want to try -5 on Late Night Tip to see how much the drivers move... Although my parents already said anything breaks. I am screwed... I know it isn't about how much they move or how loud it is... I am just curious biggrin.gif

Anyways thanks for checking my build out and thank you guys so much for the help!

BTW some of my pictures are flipped a little bit. All of these photos were from a GS3 so I guess I missed them when I ran through them real quick, sorry about that. redface.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Clean build and don't worry, you have a lot cooler sh*t than I had when I was 17.....smile.gif

Gaugster
post #3 of 26 Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaugster View Post

Clean build and don't worry, you have a lot cooler sh*t than I had when I was 17.....smile.gif

It has taken a few years to get everything. While a lot of my friends go out on the weekends and drive for no reason. I try to save money, in the summer I worked 40 hours a week, 30 during school. What is sorta funny is that I sorta hit a guard rail in the rain one day. Attempting to slide + trailblazer + too much gas = bad day. Anyways instead of fixing the damage. I used the money towards my room. So I drive a tore up car but have a nice room. redface.gif My friends are amazed when they ask how much it all cost and most of the time it is more than there cars are worth. eek.gif
post #4 of 26 Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's all about priorities.

Gaugster
post #5 of 26 Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 431
AWESOME!

I'm proud of you man. You've done it the right way. Omnimic to help fix your FR, 18" drivers from the get go. Good job.

The boxes look great. Sounds like you got a good neighbor to lend a hand.

Now about that peaky 50hz frequency response. tongue.gif That's pretty rough.

Why don't you buy a mic2200 off ebay for $50 bucks and tame the hump down - you'll love the subs SOOOOOOO much more.

You can get them new for about $90 so depending on your money situation... The DCX2496 is more powerful, but also x3 more expensive. I'm pretty happy with my mic2200. It allows for two parametric EQ bands --- It looks like you might only need one band -- a huge wide cut at 48hz.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #6 of 26 Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 240
My god, when i was 17 I had a sanyo radio with a possessed tape deck that would go at half speed every so often, if you were any kind of ( ) it would freak you out wondering if it was the deck or you hahaha.

Good looking build!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #7 of 26 Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 PM

Liked: 14
Yea, at 17 I was putting together red Orion DVC cabs for my SUV. Once hit with placement or EQ, these will outclass anything I did at that age by a large margin.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-31-2013, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Nice job and nice work! Glad you were able to pull everything together, it turned out great. There is a good chance the shape/size of your room is contributing to those peaks in the midrange. Do you have any other options for sub placement? I know it's tight in there but moving them around a bit may help smooth that out before EQ.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Wow. I just built one sealed Dayton HO 18" and thought I was cool. lol.

post #10 of 26 Old 01-31-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I just want to know why they are fighting?!!?!tongue.gif

post #11 of 26 Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

I just want to know why they are fighting?!!?!tongue.gif

Out of phase wink.gifbiggrin.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #12 of 26 Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Where did you take the FR measurement from? Near a boundary?

Also, you don't have to use a DCX. You could start out with a BFD like most of have. You can get one <$100 and a much better choice over a mic2200.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #13 of 26 Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Out of phase wink.gifbiggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I am glad there is no shooting involved.eek.gif

Nice build! Those lil' babies should be rockin'!cool.gif

post #14 of 26 Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Hey!!! I remember you!!!

Very, very cool. I'm so glad you ended up with some kick a$$ subs in your room. Wow, my 17 year old self is very jealous of what you accomplished. Congrats man. smile.gif
post #15 of 26 Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 166
As others have said, you have way cooler stuff than I did at 17! Man, I had a 2 channel Sony receiver and a pair of Yamaha bookshelfs!

Nice work on the build, enjoy em!
post #16 of 26 Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
I want to try -5 on Late Night Tip to see how much the drivers move... Although my parents already said anything breaks. I am screwed... I know it isn't about how much they move or how loud it is... I am just curious biggrin.gif

Given that 3-6 a try yet? Man that takes me a good ways back, glad that song is still in circulation smile.gif I think a couple of cheapo acoustic panels might be in order with that angled roof right above your Right channel. Check out ATS acoustics on the web. Once you sell that old sub, you can afford a pair or 2 of panels to really help with smoothing your upper freq's. You are obviously running the bass pretty hot, I like your style! Try bumping it down some and see if it helps out with the rest of the response, I bet every piece of sheetrock in that space is flexing pretty hard with what you have. Better than any two bedside tables I have ever seen...Now you got me thinkin wink.gif haha

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #17 of 26 Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

You should listen to Bassotronics-17 Hurts. Yes, it's a song with a steady 17Hz bass line.

post #18 of 26 Old 02-01-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Also, you don't have to use a DCX. You could start out with a BFD like most of have. You can get one <$100 and a much better choice over a mic2200.

What us a BFD and where can one be purchased, also how much do they typically cost? How does the BFD compare to the MIC2200?
post #19 of 26 Old 02-01-2013, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

I believe it's a Behringer Feedback Destroyer. Prices seem to vary depending on the model you want. They have them on Amazon.

I'm trying to decide between a mini dsp, Mic 2200 or a BFD. Very tough.

post #20 of 26 Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

AWESOME!

I'm proud of you man. You've done it the right way. Omnimic to help fix your FR, 18" drivers from the get go. Good job.

The boxes look great. Sounds like you got a good neighbor to lend a hand.

Now about that peaky 50hz frequency response. tongue.gif That's pretty rough.

Why don't you buy a mic2200 off ebay for $50 bucks and tame the hump down - you'll love the subs SOOOOOOO much more.

You can get them new for about $90 so depending on your money situation... The DCX2496 is more powerful, but also x3 more expensive. I'm pretty happy with my mic2200. It allows for two parametric EQ bands --- It looks like you might only need one band -- a huge wide cut at 48hz.

Thank you man! I picked up the OmniMic when it was onsale for 199.99. I prolly couldn't have done it without my neighbor honestly. I kinda had the thought of picking up two more 18s and that Inuke12K amp you posted about and using that for EQ too... Just a thought biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

My god, when i was 17 I had a sanyo radio with a possessed tape deck that would go at half speed every so often, if you were any kind of ( ) it would freak you out wondering if it was the deck or you hahaha.

Good looking build!

Haha, Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leninGHOLA View Post

Yea, at 17 I was putting together red Orion DVC cabs for my SUV. Once hit with placement or EQ, these will outclass anything I did at that age by a large margin.

I'm working on the EQ side of things. I need to wire my rear speakers again and then rerun the Pioneer EQ stuff again and then add something for the subs. Also need bass traps and sound panels..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Nice job and nice work! Glad you were able to pull everything together, it turned out great. There is a good chance the shape/size of your room is contributing to those peaks in the midrange. Do you have any other options for sub placement? I know it's tight in there but moving them around a bit may help smooth that out before EQ.

I thought that it might be how horrible my ceilings are. I will PM you and we can talk about placement options. See what would be best for my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

That one was taken from my seating position. What do you recommend over the mic2200?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

biggrin.gif

I am glad there is no shooting involved.eek.gif

Nice build! Those lil' babies should be rockin'!cool.gif

Yeah they are. I LOVE them. My parents HATE them. biggrin.gif

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Hey!!! I remember you!!!

Very, very cool. I'm so glad you ended up with some kick a$$ subs in your room. Wow, my 17 year old self is very jealous of what you accomplished. Congrats man. smile.gif

Thank you so much! I really wanted either submersives (spelling?) or the caps but they were so expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

As others have said, you have way cooler stuff than I did at 17! Man, I had a 2 channel Sony receiver and a pair of Yamaha bookshelfs!

Nice work on the build, enjoy em!

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Given that 3-6 a try yet? Man that takes me a good ways back, glad that song is still in circulation smile.gif I think a couple of cheapo acoustic panels might be in order with that angled roof right above your Right channel. Check out ATS acoustics on the web. Once you sell that old sub, you can afford a pair or 2 of panels to really help with smoothing your upper freq's. You are obviously running the bass pretty hot, I like your style! Try bumping it down some and see if it helps out with the rest of the response, I bet every piece of sheetrock in that space is flexing pretty hard with what you have. Better than any two bedside tables I have ever seen...Now you got me thinkin wink.gif haha

Yeah I just did, Results - AWESOME!!!!! Although my lights dimmed pretty bad and I have vibrations I need to hunt down. Need to run that extra 20amp sooner I guess... Although it hasn't tripped yet. Well I didn't mean to run it so hot really. I was having issues with output sensitivity to the amp. At like 0.0 or like 2.0 hot, it wasn't really picking it up very well. So I have the receiver at like 8-10 hot, but I just adjust the gain as I need too. What is even weirder to me, is that if I turn my subs off at the amp. My Frq response is flat with the rest of the lines. I will run some more sweeps tonight and post them. It is really weird. Anyways I haven't broke any plates yet! So I am not in trouble. tongue.gif I really do like having that bedside table there though, I have the tiny dresser thing next to the couch for drinks and my phone and books go on the subs. Glad I could inspire some ideas though! biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

You should listen to Bassotronics-17 Hurts. Yes, it's a song with a steady 17Hz bass line.

I shall listen to that before the parents get home. biggrin.gif I will post results soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

I believe it's a Behringer Feedback Destroyer. Prices seem to vary depending on the model you want. They have them on Amazon.

I'm trying to decide between a mini dsp, Mic 2200 or a BFD. Very tough.

I like the idea of a miniDSP but I have issues with figuring it out. I like the all in one units honestly. I think I am going to really look at the Mic2200 for now. It is fairly cheap compared to a 2496. Although I want to see what else is out their.
post #21 of 26 Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Does your Rythmik have a phase/delay? Try it. (You could try turning it off too, if not already.)
Then, try moving the subs around if that doesn't work. Stacked in the back or front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus1095 View Post

Yeah they are. I LOVE them. My parents HATE them. biggrin.gif
Parents... what do they know anyways? hehe biggrin.gif
But don't make them mad, looks like they bought you most of this stuff... either that or you rob banks with your dad together.
post #22 of 26 Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

Does your Rythmik have a phase/delay? Try it. (You could try turning it off too, if not already.)
Then, try moving the subs around if that doesn't work. Stacked in the back or front.
Parents... what do they know anyways? hehe biggrin.gif
But don't make them mad, looks like they bought you most of this stuff... either that or you rob banks with your dad together.

I don't use my Rythmik sub anymore.

Yeah all they do is tell me to do stuff. biggrin.gif

Actually my parents didn't buy me anything in this room. I bought it over the course of a few years. Sales and group buys etc. I guess I can't exactly say that. They did pay half of my bed and the dressers, but I had to buy my sheets and pillows. Any of the electronics or the AC system was my doing. I worked at a company doing 40 hours a week in the summer for a little over 2 months, I work during school well I did, looking for a new job now. I used to build computers. I sold all of it for my room. Anyways my parents don't buy my brother and I luxury things. My mom actually talked to me about it the other day, how she was so proud of me for saving and building my room, instead of wasting all my money. Also I don't know my dad. Don't get me wrong though, I love my mom, this is just her style of raising me I guess. This is most likely a little TMI but it means more to me because I poured sweat all summer and I stayed up late after work for school etc to have this room. I look on here and see systems like Archeas or like Notys and its just goals that I work toward. We all strive for perfection right? Never ending hobby as I have found out. My neighbors will prolly regret helping me build these though. biggrin.gif
post #23 of 26 Old 02-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus1095 View Post

I don't use my Rythmik sub anymore.

Yeah all they do is tell me to do stuff. biggrin.gif

Actually my parents didn't buy me anything in this room. I bought it over the course of a few years. Sales and group buys etc. I guess I can't exactly say that. They did pay half of my bed and the dressers, but I had to buy my sheets and pillows. Any of the electronics or the AC system was my doing. I worked at a company doing 40 hours a week in the summer for a little over 2 months, I work during school well I did, looking for a new job now. I used to build computers. I sold all of it for my room. Anyways my parents don't buy my brother and I luxury things. My mom actually talked to me about it the other day, how she was so proud of me for saving and building my room, instead of wasting all my money. Also I don't know my dad. Don't get me wrong though, I love my mom, this is just her style of raising me I guess. This is most likely a little TMI but it means more to me because I poured sweat all summer and I stayed up late after work for school etc to have this room. I look on here and see systems like Archeas or like Notys and its just goals that I work toward. We all strive for perfection right? Never ending hobby as I have found out. My neighbors will prolly regret helping me build these though. biggrin.gif

Nice. I had to use all my summer money to pay my way through college(and feed myself and pay all my bills and everything). Was limited to a cheap HTIB.

But, the ultimate satisfaction is knowing you worked hard to get the things you want. Regardless of how long it takes or what age you are when you get there.

post #24 of 26 Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM

Looks great!

Try looking on Craigslist for a Behringer Feedback Destroyer. In my area there are a couple new ones for $75 and I see used ones for under $50 pretty regularly.

post #25 of 26 Old 02-03-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Do you guys think a BFD would be better than a Mic2200?
post #26 of 26 Old 02-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Yes.

You won't need the high pass filter function at all and you certainly do not need all the inaccurate analog controls. wink.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page