Need a 12", sealed, Dayton SA240, 3-5 cubic ft - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been out of the game for a while. My buddy is ready to upgrade his HT setup and ready for a real DIY sub. Pretty much set on a Dayton SA 240 for price. He is looking for something for movies and def music also, hence why I figured sealed would be optimal. Just easier to construct and design. I was never a guru at figuring dimensions and specs for ported enclosures... So what are some of the better inexpensive subs that would be good in this size sealed enclosure of a lower wattage amp? I myself have a Elemental Designs 13kv3 and a dayton SA240. That would be perfectly fine for him, but I figured we could do a little better. That, and I guess they closed... I think his sub budget is around $150 max. Max enclosure dimensions are roughly 20W x 16D x 32H. Anything smaller is gravy. Will go shorter first, if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 326
I'd recommend doing some research and learning about ported designs. Single, sealed, and low wattage don't go together. Pick 2 and build around it. On your budget, you will definitely realize more boom for the buck with a ported design.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #3 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I agree that ported makes a lot more sense, especially with a plate amp that has a 20hz HPF. It's pretty easy too. Build a box to your given dimensions (or a couple inches shorter), and use this port at its full length

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=268-352

That will get you a box tuned right around 20hz, then you could pick up the reigning budget king 12" woofer, which is a perfect fit for that box size/port dimensions/power level

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-1260w-1200-watt-High-Performance/dp/B0028AVGEO
post #4 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I understand where you guys are coming from, but he's not concerned with how loud he can get. He just wants some decent output that sounds pretty darn good. SQ over SPL here for sure. Now I'm not trying to say ported can't sound amazing, I know it can. It just takes more thought. This isn't something he can tweak or rebuild if it's not what he wants. Sealed is just the easiest option to get good sound. Keep in mind he's coming from an Athena 8" HTIB sub. I know a single 12" with a decent box volume can sound loud enough for him off 250 watts. I have that now and it will be plenty for him. If this were for movies only, sure, I'd toss it in a basic vented box tuned to 20-22hz and call it a day. This absolutely has to sound good for music too. Wife requirement. smile.gif
post #5 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 326
It's a wives tail that sealed sounds better than ported for music. That being said it sounds like you know what you want; and if that's sealed, so be it. smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #6 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

It really is as simple as doing what I suggested above. Anyway, I would go with this 15" woofer in a 20" x 16" x 28" (4 ft3) enclosure

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-206

It will make the most of your amp.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

It's a wives tail that sealed sounds better than ported for music. That being said it sounds like you know what you want; and if that's sealed, so be it. smile.gif

I didn't say sealed sounded better. wink.gif
post #8 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For the sake of this thread, I just want a few options to research for inexpensive 12" sub. I'm not totally against ported, but for now, I'd like to look at options for sealed setup.

Jay, thanks for that link. Dayton stuff is always in the back of my mind when I think low budget DIY. I may be able to talk him into a 15". Size (mainly depth) is an issue, but obviously if we have roughly 16" to work with, a 15" can fit. biggrin.gif It would take some convincing on my part.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
infinity reference 1260w, wired 4 ohms, in a sealed box around 1.5 cubes. I have a pair of the dual voice coil 1262w and they are great, although I'm pushing them with 550 watts each.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Sealed 2.75ft^3 + Dayton DVC15+ SA240(one without highpass)

This setup is musical and controlled. You won't get monster output from a single sealed 15 but it gets it done.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

For the sake of this thread, I just want a few options to research for inexpensive 12" sub. I'm not totally against ported, but for now, I'd like to look at options for sealed setup.

Jay, thanks for that link. Dayton stuff is always in the back of my mind when I think low budget DIY. I may be able to talk him into a 15". Size (mainly depth) is an issue, but obviously if we have roughly 16" to work with, a 15" can fit. biggrin.gif It would take some convincing on my part.

Yeah a 12 just doesnt make sense when a 15 will fit for under budget? You're not gaining anything going with a 12. Sure you could make a tiny box that gives up all of the 30hz bass compared to the 15" dayton, but I just dont see any reason to go that route? I guess the RSS12HF would be your 12" option though.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page