HELP. Need help in determing the best speakers, subs, and etc. to make this a reality!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

So were a group of college students that own a company called Static Entertainment LLC. We currently operate in Sioux City, Iowa with plans to branch throughout Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota. Currently our companies basic operation is we throw large "night club events" 18+ one night every 3 to 4 months. We have explored the idea of throwing underage events in between our 18+ events as well, using our equipment to do weddings, corporate events, and other events as well. We are looking to buy a system to make this happen. We currently have 10k budgeted. We have the ability to get lights at a discounted rate, therefore that isnt as much of an issues. Our current budget is 4k for lights, (we can get alot of great stuff for the price) 5k for sound and 1k for misc things such as cables. My reason for posting is I have very little knowledge only as much as I can read on speakers and etc. Therefore I'm looking for help to make all of this a reality. Our current event space is 10k sq feet. We have on average 500 people at an event. Any suggestions, in regards to speaker and sub brand, model, type, etc. Also, what type of lights would be best, lasers, intelligent lighting, etc. (There is one brand for lighting we can get so the suggestion for lighting should be the type not brand)

I have attached an event setup visualization for everyone to see.

Please let me know

I have linked our company website and Facebook page:

www.static-entertainment.com

http://www.facebook.com/StaticEntertainment

I really appreciate any responses, any suggestions, any help. We just want to make this possible.

Thank You,
Blake Anderson
admin@static-entertainment.com
Static Entertainment LLC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
If you're doing club/dance type events, I would look very hard at the products that Bill Fitzmaurice offers (BFM). http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/ He also has a profile here and posts regularly. His gear is designed for this exact purpose. His forum can also be a big, big help for your decision.

Even though all of his stuff is mainly for the DIY builder, there is a page of authorized builders than can build them for you if you don't want to go the DIY route. >>> http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Builders.html

If one is going to make a simplistic assessment of the value of different alignments, it would be that sealed/IB goes the lowest, at the highest cost per dB; horns have the lowest cost per dB at the expense of size, and vented box characteristics lie in between the other two. None is inherently superior across the board, neither is any inherently inferior across the board. The one to use is the one that fits your response and output needs, available space and bank account. -BFM
post #3 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 11:21 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Blake,

Bill has some fine stuff and that's certainly an option.

However, you need to contact your local Pro Aaudio, Sound/Light contractor, that performs this type of work, and sells this type of gear in your area.

Yes, if you pursue this, owning your own gear is the way to go if the frequency of your events is significant enough. But, for now, I'd consider renting for your first show. At bare minimum, contact them and consult w/them discussing your options.

If I were doing such events (I've been involved in all aspects of such work, from DJ'ing, decades of live sound FOH engineering, I've enjoyed a career working for a Convention Center) I'd hire out all sound and light gear, ... allow them to perform entire load in/load out, set-up. This way all gear maintenence, trouble, etc, is taken care of. You yourself handles system tuning, DJ'ing etc, ... they walk away and return upon time to tear down.

Now, there is some tremendous value in DIY (if you're inclined to build your own). Buying, you'd not have the budget that could equate to what you could easily rent. In this area, I'd stick w/rental gear. It's all state of the art, as they can use it often enough to pay for the finest. Yourself, buying gear,due to budgetary concerns you'd need to be frugal and comprimise w/quality, because you'd not use it oft enough to pay for it fast enough.

This is my take, others may feel otherwise.

Best of luck, trying to help

(also, if that's a Convention Center, they may likely have a sweet rental rig sized right for a killer show. I know our center had a variety of modest rigs, up to a big EAW rig and subs, big enough to cover nearly any function)

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #4 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
renting is a great way to get a feel for some different gear if and before taking the plunge and buying.

also, check out prosoundweb.com for some additional p.a. expertise.

if you care to learn the ins and outs, jblpro.com has several technical guides for pros that do this kind of stuff for a living. you can also see what kind of systems they spec for various venues in order to get a feel for what level of gear that you will need even if you don't end up with jbl gear.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Blake,

Bill has some fine stuff and that's certainly an option.

However, you need to contact your local Pro Aaudio, Sound/Light contractor, that performs this type of work, and sells this type of gear in your area.

Yes, if you pursue this, owning your own gear is the way to go if the frequency of your events is significant enough. But, for now, I'd consider renting for your first show. At bare minimum, contact them and consult w/them discussing your options.

If I were doing such events (I've been involved in all aspects of such work, from DJ'ing, decades of live sound FOH engineering, I've enjoyed a career working for a Convention Center) I'd hire out all sound and light gear, ... allow them to perform entire load in/load out, set-up. This way all gear maintenence, trouble, etc, is taken care of. You yourself handles system tuning, DJ'ing etc, ... they walk away and return upon time to tear down.

Now, there is some tremendous value in DIY (if you're inclined to build your own). Buying, you'd not have the budget that could equate to what you could easily rent. In this area, I'd stick w/rental gear. It's all state of the art, as they can use it often enough to pay for the finest. Yourself, buying gear,due to budgetary concerns you'd need to be frugal and comprimise w/quality, because you'd not use it oft enough to pay for it fast enough.

This is my take, others may feel otherwise.

Best of luck, trying to help

(also, if that's a Convention Center, they may likely have a sweet rental rig sized right for a killer show. I know our center had a variety of modest rigs, up to a big EAW rig and subs, big enough to cover nearly any function)

I really appreciate the advice. We have thrown two events in the past and have rented the equipment. We did have a company come in and do it for us. However, they are incredibly expensive and at the end of the day you fork out 3k and dont have much to show for it. So, we have decided to purchase our own in order to gain equity. I am looking for mid level quality, something thats going to last us atleast two years. We have atleast 9 events in the next year and a half. With every intention to grow and throw more. We have the possibility to double that number in events in the same time frame. The convention center does not have their own unfortunately. I really just need a brand and/or connection to make this all possible. I just dont know the information enough to say, this brand is great, this one is not. I have looked on several online wholesalers and looked directly on manufactures ranging from expensive to cheap. I just need to know what brands to look at and which to run away from. What I should look for in regards to specs and the "behind the scenes work" cables, controllers, equalizers, amps etc. I need this information as I want to understand the whole picture, the needs and ability to make a more educated decision on purchasing the equipment. I need guidance and I need to make this possible.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Again, go to Bill's forum. There is a mountain of information there and many, many people like you who have first hand experience with his products in situations like yours who would be more than willing to point you in the right direction. All the more reason to do this since you would like to own the gear yourself.

For the price, you will not find anything anywhere else that comes close.

If one is going to make a simplistic assessment of the value of different alignments, it would be that sealed/IB goes the lowest, at the highest cost per dB; horns have the lowest cost per dB at the expense of size, and vented box characteristics lie in between the other two. None is inherently superior across the board, neither is any inherently inferior across the board. The one to use is the one that fits your response and output needs, available space and bank account. -BFM
post #7 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindrak View Post

Again, go to Bill's forum. There is a mountain of information there and many, many people like you who have first hand experience with his products in situations like yours who would be more than willing to point you in the right direction. All the more reason to do this since you would like to own the gear yourself.

For the price, you will not find anything anywhere else that comes close.

I have contacted the closest maker of Bill's speakers. I sent them an email Saturday.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As John (LTD02) said, spend time here....http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?board=9.0
post #9 of 13 Old 02-07-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

I went to Prosound not a great response. Most people just bashed the idea and didnt really help. Some guys actually answered and gave advice but not many.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Anderson View Post

I went to Prosound not a great response. Most people just bashed the idea and didnt really help. Some guys actually answered and gave advice but not many.
To say that PSW is not DIY friendly would be a gross understatement. Haven't seen you on my forum.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-09-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

post #12 of 13 Old 02-09-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1356
Quote:
And that's why I never go there. Some members are OK, but they tend to get shouted down by pretentious elitist gear snobs. I really get a laugh at those who talk my gear down. Google their names, which are supposedly real, see what you come up with. Then google mine. Or those of my cab users, like Dancetronauts, where you'll see this:

You might not need that large a rig, that one's good to an audience of about 10,000, outdoors.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I'm with Bill, those guys at the prosoundweb are mostly tools. When I was looking at betting a pro rig together I was on there asking questions and all I got was snobbery and them trying to pretend how much better they are. I said my peace and am banned for good hahahaha

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page