EQ options below 20hz??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 02-07-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Does anyone know of any EQ options that can apply a house curve below 20hz? Just curious to see what is out there.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Does anyone know of any EQ options that can apply a house curve below 20hz? Just curious to see what is out there.

Why start the house curve that low?

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #3 of 31 Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I have a house curve applied down to 20hz through my receivers EQ, however it does seem to apply it down 14-15hz after measuring the in room response. I was looking for something that would be able to be integrated into the current EQ below 20hz ,b/c I don't really think external EQ systems could do a better job than my current EQ system. Hence the need for the below 20hz.

My build thread

post #4 of 31 Old 02-07-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You already have a HPF ? Could put one in your signal chain at 10Hz or so before the amp as with most IB's. Pretty sure it was mentioned in your build thread I want to say by LT.

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #5 of 31 Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by autox320 View Post

You already have a HPF ? Could put one in your signal chain at 10Hz or so before the amp as with most IB's. Pretty sure it was mentioned in your build thread I want to say by LT.
No,no,no,no,no,no and no. No HPF and no intention of putting one in, EVER!!!
I want have a house curve applied down to about 2-3hz. As with the lower the hz go the more SPL is needed to be heard. At present I don't want to have to crank out 130db @10hz just so I can get 110@ 2hz. That is reason why I want something that will be able to apply a house curve below 20hz. smile.gif

My build thread

post #6 of 31 Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 315
post #7 of 31 Old 02-07-2013, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

MiniDSP is an option
Does it go below 20hz? And how connecting 7-8 drivers to it. How is it with high powered amps?

Looks like I am going to have to do some research.

My build thread

post #8 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Does it go below 20hz? And how connecting 7-8 drivers to it. How is it with high powered amps?

It really isn't stable below 20Hz even though it says it can go to 10Hz in the GUI. Due to the processing chip it is actually stable to 25Hz. You can always try and see how it holds up. Biquads should be able to calculate to this.

explore the music
post #9 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 02:15 AM

Quote:

No,no,no,no,no,no and no. No HPF and no intention of putting one in, EVER!!!
I want have a house curve applied down to about 2-3hz. As with the lower the hz go the more SPL is needed to be heard. At present I don't want to have to crank out 130db @10hz just so I can get 110@ 2hz. That is reason why I want something that will be able to apply a house curve below 20hz. smile.gif

No offense taken cool.gif. How much wattage do you have on the 7 RE's?

even a deq2496 or dcx2496 can be manipulated to filter to about 15Hz

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #10 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 92
JapanDave,

I use a MiniDSP and have my 10hz signal boosted to +12DB and it makes a HUGE difference down low! wink.gif
post #11 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
i know you have measured your response down low, but did you get a little room gain ? When i was using a Mini, i got some real good response down low.....
post #12 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

No offense taken cool.gif. How much wattage do you have on the 7 RE's?

even a deq2496 or dcx2496 can be manipulated to filter to about 15Hz
Thanks. I use 2 x the real Lab Gruppen FP 10000Q. I run each sub on its own channel @ 2500w's. So 17,500w to subs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

JapanDave,

I use a MiniDSP and have my 10hz signal boosted to +12DB and it makes a HUGE difference down low! wink.gif

So You can boost down that low on the MiniDSP? Can you boost lower? And what are the connection options, as I have one sub on its own channel, so I will need 7 connection inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

i know you have measured your response down low, but did you get a little room gain ? When i was using a Mini, i got some real good response down low.....
The room is entirely solid concrete and I get much room gain.

I have been talking to the people at DSPeaker-Anti-Mode and they say that their top model is able to EQ down to 3hz. Anyone have any experience with DSPeaker-Anti-Mode Dual core?

My build thread

post #13 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Depends which minidsp you use. The 96khz ones suck at < 25hz. The 24khz are better. You put them before the amps, so doesn't matter how many drivers you're running. I've got my 96khz minidsp setup well enough from trial and error down low, but I have the 48khz plugin for it from the 8x8 I think (was using 2x8 before) which should help some.

The 2x8 and 8x8 support higher voltage line levels. I think it's like 8v on balanced connections. That's the reason I went for those when a 2x4 unit would have worked fine.
post #14 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

Depends which minidsp you use. The 96khz ones suck at < 25hz. The 24khz are better. You put them before the amps, so doesn't matter how many drivers you're running. I've got my 96khz minidsp setup well enough from trial and error down low, but I have the 48khz plugin for it from the 8x8 I think (was using 2x8 before) which should help some.

The 2x8 and 8x8 support higher voltage line levels. I think it's like 8v on balanced connections. That's the reason I went for those when a 2x4 unit would have worked fine.
I have each sub on a separate channel, they are not daisy chained, so each channel gets a signal. But it looks like the miniDSP 10x10 Hd has 8 x 8 balanced inputs/outputs. How is this unit?

My build thread

post #15 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I have each sub on a separate channel, they are not daisy chained, so each channel gets a signal. But it looks like the miniDSP 10x10 Hd has 8 x 8 balanced inputs/outputs. How is this unit?
I have the 8x8 dave, and it works great.
post #16 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by keager View Post

I have the 8x8 dave, and it works great.
How do you have it hooked up?

Do you have any response graphs?

My build thread

post #17 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks. I use 2 x the real Lab Gruppen FP 10000Q. I run each sub on its own channel @ 2500w's. So 17,500w to subs.

That is definitely plenty. I'll bet the power company is like YES! whenever your theater is on biggrin.gif

Maybe a winISD guru could model better than I can. I keep trying with 7 RE 18s in an IB (99999cuft) and run out of cone excursion(4.4 inches@17.5kw) with anything over 5kw at 17Hz and below. That is until I put in a 11Hz HPF then I can model up to 9kw staying within 2.1 inches.
I know someone may say real world vs fancy pants computer tool but anyone's input appreciated. My buddy is enthusiastic about the REs in an IB for his house. Before he puts 440 lbs of driver in his attic ya know biggrin.gif avs creates bassheads overnight lol

post #18 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
I was all set to get the MiniDSP, but the low voltage and the turn off thump has me hesitating. I don't see much else out there that will suit my needs. I need something that will be able to EQ down to 10hz. Currently using a couple Behringer MIC2200's. The DSPeaker-Anti-Mode Dual core looks pretty good, but more than I am interested in spending.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #19 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

That is definitely plenty. I'll bet the power company is like YES! whenever your theater is on biggrin.gif

Maybe a winISD guru could model better than I can. I keep trying with 7 RE 18s in an IB (99999cuft) and run out of cone excursion(4.4 inches@17.5kw) with anything over 5kw at 17Hz and below. That is until I put in a 11Hz HPF then I can model up to 9kw staying within 2.1 inches.
I know someone may say real world vs fancy pants computer tool but anyone's input appreciated. My buddy is enthusiastic about the REs in an IB for his house. Before he puts 440 lbs of driver in his attic ya know biggrin.gif avs creates bassheads overnight lol
Is your friend going with 4 drivers? (440lbs) My setup is 600lbs worth IB of drivers, the front wall has 1000lbs of speakers (3 LCR and 4 x RE XXX) and drivers in it. The best way to model is with a large sealed, IB does not seem to go well.(Well at least for me)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I was all set to get the MiniDSP, but the low voltage and the turn off thump has me hesitating. I don't see much else out there that will suit my needs. I need something that will be able to EQ down to 10hz. Currently using a couple Behringer MIC2200's. The DSPeaker-Anti-Mode Dual core looks pretty good, but more than I am interested in spending.
Hey Mike,

That what I read somewhere as well. Is there something better than the Anti mode dual core? And if I went with the dual core I would have to get a least 2 units. Cost is not a factor for me in this department, but performance is.

My build thread

post #20 of 31 Old 02-09-2013, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the x8 units are higher voltage. Don't turn it off and there's no thump. simple workarounds.
post #21 of 31 Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

JapanDave,

Can you apply the boost @10hz ,but not have anything EQ'ed above that? Why I ask is b/c the EQ I am using now does a great job above 20hz, but it is esentially flat to 9-10hz, where as I want to boost frequencies as low as 5hz if I can.

My build thread

post #22 of 31 Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Can you apply the boost @10hz ,but not have anything EQ'ed above that? Why I ask is b/c the EQ I am using now does a great job above 20hz, but it is esentially flat to 9-10hz, where as I want to boost frequencies as low as 5hz if I can.

Yes you can!
You can boost 10HZ up to +16DB, the higher you increase the Q value the less other frequencies are affected.

In my case I leave the Q value at minimum (.5) so it also affects the closet values (after and before 10HZ) too.
Ex: with my setting the 10HZ at +12DB and keeping the Q value at .5 my 12 HZ is also +11DB, my 14 is +10DB, my 16HZ is +9DB and so on.
If I change the Value of Q to say 30 then my 10HZ is at +12DB, my 11HZ is at 0DB. Teh other frequencies do not change the slightest bit.

I'm far from very knowledgeable about this stuff but it is what I'm experiencing. redface.gif
I can tell you that it makes a HUGE difference boosting the 10HZ on my 4x 21's. wink.gif
post #23 of 31 Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes you can!
You can boost 10HZ up to +16DB, the higher you increase the Q value the less other frequencies are affected.

In my case I leave the Q value at minimum (.5) so it also affects the closet values (after and before 10HZ) too.
Ex: with my setting the 10HZ at +12DB and keeping the Q value at .5 my 12 HZ is also +11DB, my 14 is +10DB, my 16HZ is +9DB and so on.
If I change the Value of Q to say 30 then my 10HZ is at +12DB, my 11HZ is at 0DB. Teh other frequencies do not change the slightest bit.

I'm far from very knowledgeable about this stuff but it is what I'm experiencing. redface.gif
I can tell you that it makes a HUGE difference boosting the 10HZ on my 4x 21's. wink.gif

What happens below that? Once I have my back IB installed I should be getting about 110db @ 2.5hz. The problem is with the way my EQ is now that to get those levels @2.5hz I would need to have over130db @10hz ,which the system is capable of doing, except I could not listen to those levels obviously. Does it just roll of gently or is it a pretty steep drop off?

And how do you connect to the balanced?

My build thread

post #24 of 31 Old 02-10-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 135
Quote:

Yes you can!

Which EQ devise are you referring too? The miniDsp? Also, what is the Q value?
post #25 of 31 Old 02-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

What happens below that? Once I have my back IB installed I should be getting about 110db @ 2.5hz. The problem is with the way my EQ is now that to get those levels @2.5hz I would need to have over130db @10hz ,which the system is capable of doing, except I could not listen to those levels obviously. Does it just roll of gently or is it a pretty steep drop off?

And how do you connect to the balanced?

Dave, to hook up the balanced connection, you cut off one end of an xlr cable and insert the wires in the apropriate output connectors on the mini dsp. Its really easy.
post #26 of 31 Old 02-10-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Keager.
Have got yours setup and EQ'ed? Do you have any REW measurements? You should be getting similar output as me I imagine.

My build thread

post #27 of 31 Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

Depending on your power amp, the output voltage isn't an issue; my ipr 3000 only needs .775 V for full output.

The thump can be addressed with a power strip that has time delay on turnon and turnoff.

Noah
post #28 of 31 Old 02-11-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Depending on your power amp, the output voltage isn't an issue; my ipr 3000 only needs .775 V for full output.

The thump can be addressed with a power strip that has time delay on turnon and turnoff.

The other issue that I forgot to mention, what about the clipping. Read where a few people were clipping their MiniDSP. I need to get REW back up and running. I am on a different laptop, so I had to download REW again. With the new changes to REW, I can get rid on my mic preamp, so I have a new calibrated USB mic ordered. REW HDMI works well for me since my equipment is located in a room below my theater and I have a spare HDMI cable run to my HT room. I tried out the REW signal generator and it worked fine. I will probably switch over from a pair of MIC2200's to MiniDSP, just need to get set back up for measuring again. Then I will probably use something like a Samson S-Direct Plus to go to balanced and use the 2x8 balanced MiniDSP. Always takes a little more thought in how to put this together, when your equipment is remote located.

Added
Just remembered the MIC2200 converts to balanced, so could just pass the signal through it to get balanced. Not sure what the roll off is with a MIC2200, but I know I was flat to 10hz when I measured my old system, so it should be pretty good.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #29 of 31 Old 02-11-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Turn down the input level MDSP input level so that it doesn't clip, i.e. it translates to the sensitivity issue.

Noah
post #30 of 31 Old 02-11-2013, 05:51 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

Just remembered the MIC2200 converts to balanced, so could just pass the signal through it to get balanced. Not sure what the roll off is with a MIC2200, but I know I was flat to 10hz when I measured my old system, so it should be pretty good.

I've had a MIC2200 for a a couple years. I was concerned about specifically how the -3dB point could be affecting my deep bass-infra playback. What I surmised as deep as I could resolve, was it wasn't a significant limiting factor in measured extension.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page