Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 68 Old 05-30-2014, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
so is this project un-post-poned?

How exactly are you hooking up the circuits for each plug to control it? I understand the software and relay part, but how are you physically doing it? Are you creating a box at the circuit breaker basically and have each individual plug/circuit on its own relay/switch? Can you only do this for each separate circuit or how could you say control 3 different plugs on the same 15A circuit? Or how do you individually control lights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 05-30-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Here is how it is wired, at least for now... I'll have to make the wiring safer and proper in the future.

How I have it powering the load and socket is not to code. But at least it is properly grounded.

note: the netural and ground wire is bridged, the hot wire is unbridged (if it were bridged the relay would be bypassed in this configuration, which would render all of this pointless).

Now... time to put some 120volts into it!!!

This is to control amplifiers not lights. Lights need something else.

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #63 of 68 Old 05-30-2014, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

IT WORKS!!! I didn't kill myself nor my HTPC either. (LOL)

javanpohl likes this.

post #64 of 68 Old 05-30-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

Are you creating a box at the circuit breaker basically and have each individual plug/circuit on its own relay/switch? Can you only do this for each separate circuit or how could you say control 3 different plugs on the same 15A circuit?

There will be 8 dedicated 20amp breakers and I will have these dual quad wires going into each box, to each of the their dedicated sockets and SSR relays.

There is the possibility of also adding another dual quad 15amp breakers and wires to the top sockets and controlled by the physical KM relays.

So 16 relays in total, for 280amps @ 120volts of switched power, if I want / need...
(Technically 24 relays, but who's counting wink.gif )

post #65 of 68 Old 06-01-2014, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 243
1. Consider a 30amp breaker for a subwoofer amplifier.

2. Consider class D amps and just leave them
On instead of worrying about automation/cost.

3. See what apple does for home automation tomorrow at WWDC.

Blazar!
post #66 of 68 Old 06-02-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is Apple building an 8 socket 190amp 0-crossing relay box for <$900? If not... then they aren't meeting my needs or exceeding my own cost/value ratio either wink.gif
I will have ~70,000watts with an off state power draw of under 10watts with this solution, and ZERO watts by flipping the switches to the off position manually if optionally desirable (which I will likely do).
I will upgrade to 30amps as needed, it scales to that and that's the gauge of wire I will be using internally.
I've already invested ~$350 and many hours of my time building this relay box and have a working prototype, I'm well beyond the point of no return now.

post #67 of 68 Old 06-08-2014, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I grew some cojones, tested all the amps, they all passed without flaw.

Here is the results of each one.

The all had a nondefeatable delayed internal relay to control power surge in stages, except the EP4k.
Behringer rolleyes.gif

Some of the amps have enough capacitance they they continue to play music for a moments even after the power has been cut off eek.gif

Can't wait to get this relay beast fully completed, it's gonna be sweet.
Lazy Mode = ACTIVATED! biggrin.gif

post #68 of 68 Old 06-09-2014, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is the power loss on the load side from the SSR.

117.5vRMS load side
118.3vRMS input side
120.0vRMS with no load
^^^SSR

1.46kW
1.53kVA
120.5vRMS load side
121.9vRMS with no load
^^^Wall Socket

The power draw remains the same in both cases 12.7aRMS.

Lost 60watts of potential power on the load side and somewhere between 10 to 38watts into the SSR.
The SSR is rated for 30amps at a temp of 70C.
The temp of the SSR was 25C @ 12.7aRMS sustained for 20 seconds. So no increase in temp above idle has been detected thus far.

I can live with this.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page