post #481 of 1517 Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterdoc View Post

It's great that you do this Erich, but here's the flip side of the group buy scenario with you... I have no recourse... It's a pretty thankless, great deed you do... but I'm left with the horns in the physical condition they showed up in, both as it relates to the flanges and the other issues we discussed.... I'm honestly wishing I went direct and paid the premium shipping so at least I have recourse to go back to them on this... .

Who said there's no recourse? It's the same.....or better with the group buy. I just help get them here and save you on shipping fees. If you bought those direct, they would actually charge you more (the Iwata is listed on my site for less than they tell me). And shipping a pair of Iwatas and a pair of SEOS-24's direct would literally cost you $1300 or more after taxes and fees. Trust me, I learned the hard way after shipping a medium box from Poland with SEOS samples. The box was $650 and it would have fit one Iwata.

So if you bought them direct, it would have cost you about $1000+ extra (believe it or not) than going through the group buy. In either situation they would require you to send the part back for a refund. Who is going to ship a $200 horn back for $500 in shipping fees?

I'll let them know about the flange and see what they say.

To me, the easy fix would be to get some nice looking pieces of metal TIG or MIG welded directly to the other side of the flange and you're good to go. Seems like a no brainer and pretty easy.

Welding cost: $50-$75

Savings over buying direct with the same outcome: $1200

Stress level Erich just helped with by recommending MIG/TIG welds.........Priceless! biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1517 Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Better yet, just JB Weld the thing and be done with it. smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #483 of 1517 Old 05-03-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 168
So, there are some prliminary measurements up on the SEOS24 BMS4594 combo smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #484 of 1517 Old 05-03-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

So, there are some prliminary measurements up on the SEOS24 BMS4594 combo smile.gif

How are you going to tease us like that!?!? biggrin.gif

post #485 of 1517 Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471075/just-another-seos-24-build/0_100

post #486 of 1517 Old 05-03-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Thanks Adam!

post #487 of 1517 Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Are there any plans to use foam like Earl Does with these?

Look like these are going to be one heck of a speaker!

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #488 of 1517 Old 05-03-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 112
So Chop. What if you get these all setup and then realize everything sounds better with the mains crossed over at 80 or GASP even higher, since you'll also have a mondo sub system? That was my experience. Of course yours will most likely be different.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #489 of 1517 Old 05-03-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

So Chop. What if you get these all setup and then realize everything sounds better with the mains crossed over at 80 or GASP even higher, since you'll also have a mondo sub system? That was my experience. Of course yours will most likely be different.

Flexibility.

I'm fully aware in my own build that this will occur. However, sometimes you want to shut those extra thousands of watts down and just have a way below reference listening session. With highly capable mains, you won't be missing a large chunk of the music.

Its also nice not to vibrate the house or property when everyone else is sleeping.
post #490 of 1517 Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the same thing bit it sounded so much better using the subs that I never listened to the mains without them. Even at low volume.

That was one of the main reasons I sold them.

I guess a better question would be, is there something that you did to determine that these will actually be useful to you? Measurements or professional opinion from Mark?

Don't get me wrong. It sounds like they will be cool as hell. But In my case and others that I have read about, it s better to add more subs than make full ranges mains.

post #491 of 1517 Old 05-04-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

I thought the same thing bit it sounded so much better using the subs that I never listened to the mains without them. Even at low volume.

I guess a better question would be, is there something that you did to determine that these will actually be useful to you? Measurements or professional opinion from Mark?

Don't get me wrong. It sounds like they will be cool as hell. But In my case and others that I have read about, it s better to add more subs than make full ranges mains.

My experience has been the opposit. I have two different setups in my home,. one for theater, and the other is a dedicated 2-channel setup. I have actually tried using my 2-channel speakers, (Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1's), in my theater room and although they sounded good, I could not help but feel like something was missing. So I went back to my full range mains, and although they lack the clairty and detail of my Sierra-1's, they certainly fill the front of the room more effectively than the smaller Sierra-1's. I hope to always have full range mains from here on out.
post #492 of 1517 Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

My experience has been the opposit. I have two different setups in my home,. one for theater, and the other is a dedicated 2-channel setup. I have actually tried using my 2-channel speakers, (Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1's), in my theater room and although they sounded good, I could not help but feel like something was missing. So I went back to my full range mains, and although they lack the clairty and detail of my Sierra-1's, they certainly fill the front of the room more effectively than the smaller Sierra-1's. I hope to always have full range mains from here on out.

im sure its room dependent. im just wondering if some tests can be done to determine if it will work well before building full range speakers. maybe put a sub under your current speakers and take some measurements? but then again, that wont be a true measurement either. the real issue for me is how can your mains keep up with your subs at high levels and also perform whatever mid range duty you have them doing without compromising the sound?

post #493 of 1517 Old 05-04-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess my response would have to be that it doesn't really matter...I mean, if they sound better blended higher with the subs, I can just cross them higher and have the most capable non full range speaker ever biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, I think the philosophy I had was that building something like this will leave as limitless number of options as possible. I have the ability to run them down really low and overlap them with the sub xover point, cut them off at 80, 60, whatever and cross to the subs, run full range for blu ray concerts/music. I guess the question seems a bit silly to me (no offense, just don't know how else to say it) because these speakers should be more capable than most in adapting to different situations.(providing the user has the room to properly set them up, etc. which I do). If I bought something like the Noesis and decided I'd like to run them down to 40hz or even full range, I could have a problem...with these, it may be a waste of the low end to cross higher, but I have no chance of being limited by the speaker's capability.

Oh yeah, and I have 16 18's already, so no more subs should be needed biggrin.gif

post #494 of 1517 Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 137
You sure left yourself plenty of options. You have a Limitless, Never Ending Buffet for your Audio Appetite.wink.gif
Now I'm Hungry!biggrin.gif
Chris W
post #495 of 1517 Old 05-04-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't mean it to sound like your wasting your time or money. I'm just wondering if there was anything done to determine if going full range with just the fronts will work the way you want it to. Measurements? Room design? Etc.

I love concert blurays myself. I also have a small vinyl collection so I know what you mean about enjoying those in two channel. I had every intention of doing that when I built my cornscalas. They did sound really good in two channel but I found it was just better crossed to the subs.

It's cool to have options though!!

post #496 of 1517 Old 05-04-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't mean it to sound like your wasting your time or money. I'm just wondering if there was anything done to determine if going full range with just the fronts will work the way you want it to. Measurements? Room design? Etc.

I love concert blurays myself. I also have a small vinyl collection so I know what you mean about enjoying those in two channel. I had every intention of doing that when I built my cornscalas. They did sound really good in two channel but I found it was just better crossed to the subs.

It's cool to have options though!!

Not taken that way at all smile.gif I was actually worried that my response would sound like I was being a jerk, cause I'm not that great with writing. It's all good

post #497 of 1517 Old 05-05-2013, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
This build is like an F1 car to me. Cost no object. Just like F1 a lot of the over the top designs and features will have a trickle down effect on the more normal builds going on out there...including mine! I have already benefited from both GB's that came out of this. I think someone already said it here, your surrounds will be more than enough for most people's mains!

This was already fun to follow, but now with Mark Seaton involved, it is my favorite thread to see progress now!
post #498 of 1517 Old 05-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 89
This should be good, can't wait to see the end results.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #499 of 1517 Old 05-05-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

This build is like an F1 car to me. Cost no object. Just like F1 a lot of the over the top designs and features will have a trickle down effect on the more normal builds going on out there...including mine! I have already benefited from both GB's that came out of this. I think someone already said it here, your surrounds will be more than enough for most people's mains!

This was already fun to follow, but now with Mark Seaton involved, it is my favorite thread to see progress now!

Yeah, I kinda felt that way once we got started. The trickle down is awesome too...it will give folks opportunities for purchasing like the GBs, and basically two or three complete different builds possible from mine, and a number of others that have sparked off too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

This should be good, can't wait to see the end results.

Me too! Like btininidy said, I was excited to begin with, but once Mark came in.... biggrin.gif

post #500 of 1517 Old 05-05-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Aaaaaahhhhhhh. My second Denon 4520 just crapped out!!! This time, HDMI board went. I'm done with these things... Who has a suggestion on where to go from here?? Pleeeeaaaaseee

post #501 of 1517 Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Stop messing around and buy a DataSat RS20i. smile.gif

post #502 of 1517 Old 05-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Stop messing around and buy a DataSat RS20i. smile.gif

The Datasat RS20i is a magical box!

But then I am more than a little biased when I say that. Ha, ha ...

post #503 of 1517 Old 05-05-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would consider the data sat for the HT, but this is my living room piece

post #504 of 1517 Old 05-05-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Aaaaaahhhhhhh. My second Denon 4520 just crapped out!!! This time, HDMI board went. I'm done with these things... Who has a suggestion on where to go from here?? Pleeeeaaaaseee

do you need an AVR or just the prepro?

post #505 of 1517 Old 05-05-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

do you need an AVR or just the prepro?

I would prefer a highe end AVR to a combo setup, just for simplicity sake in the living room. I really love the 4520 when it works, but the first one I got had a problem with the volume control, and now the second has a bad hdmi board. I just don't want to chance these things anymore if I can help it. It pisses me off even more because my parents $399 HK AVR is working perfect tongue.gif

post #506 of 1517 Old 05-05-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You would think a $2,000 AVR would work without issues.
post #507 of 1517 Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

if you don't care about audyssey the top end Yamahas are really nice 2020/3020. Lots of power and connections. i have the RX-A3000 and its been pretty stellar

post #508 of 1517 Old 05-05-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

I would prefer a highe end AVR to a combo setup, just for simplicity sake in the living room. I really love the 4520 when it works, but the first one I got had a problem with the volume control, and now the second has a bad hdmi board. I just don't want to chance these things anymore if I can help it. It pisses me off even more because my parents $399 HK AVR is working perfect tongue.gif

You'll get a ton of opinions on this one.

I've run everything from Yammy to Pioneer to Denon to Onkyo; and I find myself gravitating towards the Onkyo every time I upgrade. Great power supplies, built like a tank, and (knock on wood), problem free IME. The 5010 is an animal. I almost went with the 5009 but snagged the 3009 as I knew I'd be going back to a separate amp down the road.

After having the ability to listen to what XT32 is capable of, there's no way I could do without it on another AVR. Trinnov does raise my curiosity though.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #509 of 1517 Old 05-05-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:

Mike - Are you planning on using the RCA inputs or XLRs on the 10x10? Looking forward to your impressions.

I plan on using RCA to the Phoenix connector and XLR to the amps. Right now I have it connected up RCA, while I wait on some new cables. I ordered some RCA to XLR cables that I will cut in half. I do have a ground loop hum, that I will need to work on, but will not get into that too much until I have the new cables. Cables are scheduled to get here Tuesday. I love how easy it is to work with. I also installed an active USB cable from the mechanical room below to the HT room. Now I have all the cables in place, so that I can run REW and the MiniDSP in my HT room. I am hopping to get into this next weekend. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #510 of 1517 Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

You'll get a ton of opinions on this one.

I've run everything from Yammy to Pioneer to Denon to Onkyo; and I find myself gravitating towards the Onkyo every time I upgrade. Great power supplies, built like a tank, and (knock on wood), problem free IME. The 5010 is an animal. I almost went with the 5009 but snagged the 3009 as I knew I'd be going back to a separate amp down the road.

After having the ability to listen to what XT32 is capable of, there's no way I could do without it on another AVR. Trinnov does raise my curiosity though.

Since it will not be your dedicated listening/movie area, why not mix it up?

Sherwood 972

I've heard mixed reviews from a few fellow AVSers, but Trinnov seems to work well in larger spaces from what I have gathered. I think it would be awesome to be able to swap it out in your dedicated HT to see if the 3D sound mapping offers any value added in such a HUGE space. I remember one retailer had a blowout sale several months ago and they were going for like $300. $600 doesn't sound as appealing to try something with less features and different room correction than you are used too, but then again... Never know if you don't try for yourself, right?

Wonder which room correction would work better with the Seaton special sauce? I don't see how or why one would work better than the other, but I'd be interested to hear Marks thoughts (subjective and/or objective) on room correction software and products that he has designed.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page