post #541 of 1516 Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Speaking of theater construction..... I checked in the Theater Construction section and didn't see a thread. You plan on making one here soon? This build is just a small piece of the puzzle and I've been able to piece together a few other nuggets of the imminent epicness in store for us, but it would be awesome to see a build thread that brings everything together!

For sure, I have honestly been waiting a bit, just so it doesn't start and then die for a month. I will have my formal plans soon and will post a new thread then so there is something to look at. I guess I could start with some house pics through the build and the future home of the theater too. I don't know about epic, but I'm sure we will enjoy it! I'm going to have to make some tough decisions with regard to gear in the next couple of weeks, as the funds just keep getting tighter. The DD HD5 PJ may just have to be put on hold...my wife picked a stone for the front of the house that is like $27/ft2 installed, so that eats up a lot of $$. I am going to get the 200" + screen still and maybe spend a couple grand on a 4810 or something like that. I don't expect it to light up that size screen, but I can DIY some type of masking system to bring it down to a 150 or something like that until I can afford the DD PJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1516 Old 05-13-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Quote:

Speaking of theater construction..... I checked in the Theater Construction section and didn't see a thread. You plan on making one here soon? This build is just a small piece of the puzzle and I've been able to piece together a few other nuggets of the imminent epicness in store for us, but it would be awesome to see a build thread that brings everything together!

For sure, I have honestly been waiting a bit, just so it doesn't start and then die for a month. I will have my formal plans soon and will post a new thread then so there is something to look at. I guess I could start with some house pics through the build and the future home of the theater too. I don't know about epic, but I'm sure we will enjoy it! I'm going to have to make some tough decisions with regard to gear in the next couple of weeks, as the funds just keep getting tighter. The DD HD5 PJ may just have to be put on hold...my wife picked a stone for the front of the house that is like $27/ft2 installed, so that eats up a lot of $$. I am going to get the 200" + screen still and maybe spend a couple grand on a 4810 or something like that. I don't expect it to light up that size screen, but I can DIY some type of masking system to bring it down to a 150 or something like that until I can afford the DD PJ.

While it's tough to get comfortable with at first, especially for your personality type tongue.gif, the best results and end gratification always comes from planning for what you want, and not sweating the fast moving technology. It's not like you have a huge, bright, projector you're getting spoiled with right now. A little velvet and some time framing will make it plenty fun with a big screen by most anyone's measure, and I bet you would still be surprised if you keep things dark in the room even at the big dimensions. If you want to put off some bigger budget items, keep an eye out for an Onkyo 5508 or an Integra 80.2. You'll spend ~$1k and can upgrade when you see something that excites you while not missing out on anything important. Physical construction, speakers and amplification channels are key aspects that become very involved to upgrade. Processors, projectors and source components are easily swapped and prices are coming down regularly. They're also much easier to quietly swap without tearing apart the room and drawing more questions from your wife. wink.gif

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #543 of 1516 Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

While it's tough to get comfortable with at first, especially for your personality type tongue.gif, the best results and end gratification always comes from planning for what you want, and not sweating the fast moving technology. It's not like you have a huge, bright, projector you're getting spoiled with right now. A little velvet and some time framing will make it plenty fun with a big screen by most anyone's measure, and I bet you would still be surprised if you keep things dark in the room even at the big dimensions. If you want to put off some bigger budget items, keep an eye out for an Onkyo 5508 or an Integra 80.2. You'll spend ~$1k and can upgrade when you see something that excites you while not missing out on anything important. Physical construction, speakers and amplification channels are key aspects that become very involved to upgrade. Processors, projectors and source components are easily swapped and prices are coming down regularly. They're also much easier to quietly swap without tearing apart the room and drawing more questions from your wife. wink.gif

All good thoughts Mark, thanks! As you can all see, Mark has already identified my personality type and is probably sorry he is involved biggrin.gif JK/ In reality, I'm sure that I will be blown away with 150" and the JVC for a long time. I think I will buy the larger screen and do exactly what you say with velvet masking (if needed) who knows...in the "cave", maybe the JVC does ok with the full screen...a guy can dream smile.gif

I may just do that with the processor too, and go with a $1k temp unit for a while. These steps will ensure that I can supply these speakers with the dsp and power I should, and seeing as they should last for the next number of years, that's the smart $$ I think. I get so caught up so fast, and as you said, my personality is like "get it all right from the start and be done". My father nicely reminded me yesterday that life just doesn't go that way and it's ok for things to be works in progress.
post #544 of 1516 Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

Mark has already identified my personality type and is probably sorry he is involved biggrin.gif JK/

Don't feel bad, I think Matt's saying the same thing about me. biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #545 of 1516 Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I may just do that with the processor too, and go with a $1k temp unit for a while. These steps will ensure that I can supply these speakers with the dsp and power I should, and seeing as they should last for the next number of years, that's the smart $$ I think. I get so caught up so fast, and as you said, my personality is like "get it all right from the start and be done". My father nicely reminded me yesterday that life just doesn't go that way and it's ok for things to be works in progress.

I'm well experienced with the "works in progress." For yourself I would be careful to insure things are fully functional, rather than an incomplete set of awesome parts that don't let you enjoy a movie with the family or friends. Hence my suggestion of a solid pre-pro and good projector. As an example, I always keep a cheap BluRay player around so I can always just plug-n-play if a PC or similar experiment proves to lock up and not want to play nice or just frustrate me more than I want to deal with at that moment.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #546 of 1516 Old 05-13-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Don't feel bad, I think Matt's saying the same thing about me. biggrin.gif

It takes a special person to help/put up with the ideas and questions, etc of person of our mentality I think.
Quote:

I'm well experienced with the "works in progress." For yourself I would be careful to insure things are fully functional, rather than an incomplete set of awesome parts that don't let you enjoy a movie with the family or friends. Hence my suggestion of a solid pre-pro and good projector. As an example, I always keep a cheap BluRay player around so I can always just plug-n-play if a PC or similar experiment proves to lock up and not want to play nice or just frustrate me more than I want to deal with at that moment.

For sure...getting the speaker builds complete with amps/dsp, my screen, wiring, etc all done is #1. At any given point when they are complete, I can throw a pre/pro and decent pj in there and get 90% of the experience. Did that waveguide get to you yet??
post #547 of 1516 Old 05-13-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Jake - Wish you were closer so you can could stop by and experience the new AT screen and false wall. 10" larger and 3' closer to the LP made a huge difference. biggrin.gif I think you will be blown away with even a scaled down screen/projector. From 15-18' back I wouldn't want to go any larger - at least in 16:9.

post #548 of 1516 Old 05-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Jake - Wish you were closer so you can could stop by and experience the new AT screen and false wall. 10" larger and 3' closer to the LP made a huge difference. biggrin.gif I think you will be blown away with even a scaled down screen/projector. From 15-18' back I wouldn't want to go any larger - at least in 16:9.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #549 of 1516 Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Man it looks super clean now! Nicely done!!

Scott
post #550 of 1516 Old 05-14-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good to see you finally came around on getting the AT screen done and hiding the speakers. Lookin' good. cool.gif

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #551 of 1516 Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

For sure...getting the speaker builds complete with amps/dsp, my screen, wiring, etc all done is #1. At any given point when they are complete, I can throw a pre/pro and decent pj in there and get 90% of the experience. Did that waveguide get to you yet??

They just showed up this afternoon. smile.gif

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #552 of 1516 Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Not sure if I am more excited about my first house being built or this build :P I hope to replicate something similar to what you and Mark come up with here early to mid next year.
post #553 of 1516 Old 05-14-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:

Looking forward to your thoughts on it.
post #554 of 1516 Old 05-14-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Quote:

Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Without prompting both my employees made sink references upon unboxing. tongue.gif

It's very sleek and solid looking, but in no way small.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #555 of 1516 Old 05-14-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

Not sure if I am more excited about my first house being built or this build :P I hope to replicate something similar to what you and Mark come up with here early to mid next year.
Nice, the first house build can be exciting. Just practice saying this phrase to yourself.."it will all be worth it, it will all be worth it" smile.gif Seriously though, it is a great experience, just don't take any dates they give you too seriously, and budget for more than your budget. The construction world never meets deadlines, but if you know that going in. Enjoy it, and spend the money on the things you can't change later, go budget on the things you can change anytime to make up the difference. Congrats on the home!
Quote:

Yeeeeeeaaahhhhhhh Budddddy! Sweet, that means we will know soon just how good the 24 can do with the 4594! biggrin.gif
post #556 of 1516 Old 05-14-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Without prompting both my employees made sink references upon unboxing. tongue.gif

It's very sleek and solid looking, but in no way small.

Hahaha..When I unboxed my my daughter said, "daddy our sinks are black in the new house?" biggrin.gif She is so used to boxes showing up for the house build. They really are huge though.
post #557 of 1516 Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Jeez, just showed up today? Did they route them through China? Haha, really looking forward to some big things in the near future now!!!!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #558 of 1516 Old 05-14-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Jeez, just showed up today? Did they route them through China? Haha, really looking forward to some big things in the near future now!!!!

I think Erich was understandably busy, which was just fine, as I wouldn't have had any time to play with these in the past few weeks anyway.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #559 of 1516 Old 05-14-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Erich's efforts are more than appreciated!

Timing seems to work out the way it should...they took a bit longer and Mark was busy anyhow. I knew going in that this would be a couple month long project or more, so it's all good. It gives my wallet a break tongue.gif
post #560 of 1516 Old 05-14-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

Nice, the first house build can be exciting. Just practice saying this phrase to yourself.."it will all be worth it, it will all be worth it" smile.gif Seriously though, it is a great experience, just don't take any dates they give you too seriously, and budget for more than your budget. The construction world never meets deadlines, but if you know that going in. Enjoy it, and spend the money on the things you can't change later, go budget on the things you can change anytime to make up the difference. Congrats on the home!

Lol.... C'mon man!

How many scope changes did you make?

When you start changing the requirement the performance period is going to change. Of the countless construction contracts I've managed over the years I've never discounted the negotiated period of performance dates!

If you haven't made any scope revisions and he is blatantly busting timeliness from lack of performance then that's another issue.

post #561 of 1516 Old 05-14-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Sorry that took so long to ship. I had everyone else's shipped a couple weeks ago but once the week before Mother's Day got here, there's no way I can get to FedEx to drop anything off. I start work before they open and get back after they close.

I was boxing up a few things every evening and yesterday I made 3 trips to the local FedEx drop off.
post #562 of 1516 Old 05-15-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 151
OP- how long did it take to receive your Seos-24's after placing and paying for your order?
I am going to order some more Seos-15's this afternoon, not sure if they are in stock, though.

I am considering purchasing a single Seos-18 to pair with my single Radian 951PB to use as
a center channel. I have all kinds of projects going at the moment, but funds are kind of low
due to some health problems preventing me from working as much as I normally do. Good news
is that I get two bonuses every year and should get a pretty hefty one in August. So ith will most
likely be August before I am able to complete my projects.
post #563 of 1516 Old 05-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Erich is the better person to answer that question.
post #564 of 1516 Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol.... C'mon man!

How many scope changes did you make?

When you start changing the requirement the performance period is going to change. Of the countless construction contracts I've managed over the years I've never discounted the negotiated period of performance dates!

If you haven't made any scope revisions and he is blatantly busting timeliness from lack of performance then that's another issue.

I made changes for sure, but I made them at the point they would not affect things. Like the front porch...it hasn't been started yet, so my change should not have affected it. I upgraded the kitchen, again, throughout the process, upgraded trim, etc. All normal extras. The one thing I did change was the facade of the house and was told 3 weeks additional for that change. It's been three weeks to the day and the work just started yesterday...three weeks with a ghostown of a jobsite. I took responsiblity for my end, but they just have excuse after excuse...supply house issue, sub contractor timing thing, etc. I have babysat the job from day one and still am over. My ratelock is up in a week and I'll be lucky to be in one month. It's most certainly lack of performance, but it's a friend and I don't want to lose my cool and ruin the friendship.
post #565 of 1516 Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

OP- how long did it take to receive your Seos-24's after placing and paying for your order?
I am going to order some more Seos-15's this afternoon, not sure if they are in stock, though.

I am considering purchasing a single Seos-18 to pair with my single Radian 951PB to use as
a center channel. I have all kinds of projects going at the moment, but funds are kind of low
due to some health problems preventing me from working as much as I normally do. Good news
is that I get two bonuses every year and should get a pretty hefty one in August. So ith will most
likely be August before I am able to complete my projects.

As HFguy said, I would defer to Erich on that, as each shipment is different.
post #566 of 1516 Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Chop, I am just curious as to what you are going to use as the pre/pro or receiver for these bad boys? I would love to have
a Denon 4520 mated with a few pro-style amps! That, or possibly a nice pre/pro such as a Lexicon, McIntosh, or something
similar, paired with a few pro-style amps!
post #567 of 1516 Old 05-16-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Chop, I am just curious as to what you are going to use as the pre/pro or receiver for these bad boys? I would love to have
a Denon 4520 mated with a few pro-style amps! That, or possibly a nice pre/pro such as a Lexicon, McIntosh, or something
similar, paired with a few pro-style amps!

Not 100% sure yet Marty. I have the 4520 and was planning to use it in my family room, but it does seem like more than needed in there (it's only five channels and two subs). I may move it down to the HT to start out and put something less expensive in the fam room, or maybe even sell it. I was going to try the Marantz 8801 too. I like the McIntosh too, got to spend lots of time at my buddy's shop with the top two models in the past couple of months. They are just so expensive and I'm not sure they do anything light years better. I did look at the ADA and Datasat, but they are above my paygrade for now. The easiest thing to do is throw the 4520 in there, spend about $800 on something for the family room, and save the cash for now, but I seldom take the easy way..a glutten for punishment I guess biggrin.gif I think Mark had a great suggestion too, get something like the Integra 80.2 or 80.3 used for now and just enjoy it, and upgrade later.

Amps will probably be some high power pro models like the lab c series. Until we run some juice through the CDs and check noise levels, etc, we won't know what will perform optimally. I'm sure the labs will be just fine, I'd just rather have Mark run some watts through them and catch his opinion as well.
post #568 of 1516 Old 05-16-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Pay grade......lol. These are mega mains and with all this talk I figured "Money was no object." biggrin.gif Family room can just be a B stock item from A4L. Spend 400 and be done. A 3313 would do fine also for something to "get you by," from A4L also for the mega room. Then get a better pre pro down the road. Just my thoughts.
post #569 of 1516 Old 05-17-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Pay grade......lol. These are mega mains and with all this talk I figured "Money was no object." biggrin.gif Family room can just be a B stock item from A4L. Spend 400 and be done. A 3313 would do fine also for something to "get you by," from A4L also for the mega room. Then get a better pre pro down the road. Just my thoughts.

Hahaha..I kind of thought that when I started too, but my dreams became much bigger than my wallet as construction of the house pushed on. I spent waaaaayyy more than anticipated on the finishes. I took so much care to look at all the upgrades before we started and make sure we knew what we wanted too. We started with the better trim, counters, floors, etc. and yet still have obscene increase from upgrades I never even saw coming. My fault of course, but crippling expenses noen the less.

Ya know, I may just grab a B stock 3313 for the family room and use the 4520 in HT to start and see how it is. I know the upgrade-itus will strike at some point, so it will give me something to tinker with later, leaving the main components in tact.
post #570 of 1516 Old 05-17-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

Hahaha..I kind of thought that when I started too, but my dreams became much bigger than my wallet as construction of the house pushed on. I spent waaaaayyy more than anticipated on the finishes. I took so much care to look at all the upgrades before we started and make sure we knew what we wanted too. We started with the better trim, counters, floors, etc. and yet still have obscene increase from upgrades I never even saw coming. My fault of course, but crippling expenses noen the less.

Ya know, I may just grab a B stock 3313 for the family room and use the 4520 in HT to start and see how it is. I know the upgrade-itus will strike at some point, so it will give me something to tinker with later, leaving the main components in tact.

Keep in mind if you use the 4520, you will be going from un-balanced to balanced.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page