Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan View Post

Speakon +1000

Speakon FTW! I wish all modern hifi gear adopted the Speakons, so much better solution than binding posts IMO, both from a nice functionality but also less metal which leads to less resistance, although whether or not that matters is debatable.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1502 Old 01-13-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

Speakon +1000

Speakon +1001

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1502689/diysg-flat-pack-4-cu-ft-12-ultimax-sub-ported-box-build-686-actual/30#post_24149728
Quote:
I had 1 extra PE Square Speaker Terminal Cup 4" Gold Banana Binding Post, so used that with banana plugs
https://www.parts-express.com/square-speaker-terminal-cup-4-gold-banana-binding-post--260-284

Else I would have went with this on the box
https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4mpr-speakon-connector-4-pole-round-chassis-mount--092-054

and these for the cable to box side for back side clearance
https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4frx-speakon-spx-right-angle-cable-connector-4p--092-192
post #1353 of 1502 Old 01-13-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Thanks guys, never used speakon before.

What about the fact that the top and bottom woofers are in different enclosures and need to be parrelled?? I;ve read people having issues with polarity. I guess that's an easy fix, but having never used them, I want to be sure I don't botch it.
post #1354 of 1502 Old 01-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Depending on how you want to do it, speakons are neat for such a thing. The standard NL4 gives you 4 points of contact (unlike bind posts which are 2). What you can do is in the box wire up the first pair one polarity and the second pair the opposite. Then your speaker wire can bit wired to the first or second pair to change polarity without opening up the speaker box.

I'd put two speakon connectors in the bottom woofer, one going in, one coming out. The out one then allows you to wire the parallel connection to the upper woofer. Again make the upper connection internally so you can use the first pair or second to flip the polarity.

JoshK on most other audio forums
post #1355 of 1502 Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Exactly what I was thinking, speakons are your solution. When you get the female parts, make sure to get the gasket to make it totally airtight.
post #1356 of 1502 Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just found out the wife's car is totaled!! mad.gif
post #1357 of 1502 Old 01-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is she ok ?
post #1358 of 1502 Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

She is thanks...bumped up, but could have been worse considering the extent of damage. If I ever saw the car before talking to her, I'd have dropped....so considering, we were blessed, and thank god the kids weren't with her.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #1359 of 1502 Old 01-13-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just hung up with PE and had a few dozen nl4 connectors, nl4 panel mounts and 250ft of 12awg overnighted so I can finish there b!tches up!! Thanks guys!!
post #1360 of 1502 Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Thanks guys, never used speakon before.

What about the fact that the top and bottom woofers are in different enclosures and need to be parrelled?? I;ve read people having issues with polarity. I guess that's an easy fix, but having never used them, I want to be sure I don't botch it.

The woofers should be in series. Still need two sets on the bottom cab, one for input from the amp and one to run up to the top cab. You would connect them like this (I hope that drawing makes sense):

Edit: color coded the wires for easier tracing.
ChopShop1 likes this.
post #1361 of 1502 Old 01-13-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post

The woofers should be in series. Still need two sets on the bottom cab, one for input from the amp and one to run up to the top cab. You would connect them like this (I hope that drawing makes sense):

Yes, not sure what made me say parellel..4ohm woofs
post #1362 of 1502 Old 01-22-2014, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, they have had their first run and are very promising, Here are the measurements from Gorilla's room at the NE GTG.

The midbass is impact was fantastic and the top end extended sooooo far and open, but had a bit of a sharp edge. There was also a bit of muddying up in a couple of small areas, but again, overall I think they will turn out fantastic. The measurements above are using the "theoretical" active settings that Matt came up with before ever even hearing or testing the four woofer version. I think it killed for something that hasn't even been tested and tweaked, but obviously we want to get the most out of them. I scrapped the RDL boxes today and will be probably grabbing a mini 10x10 to use until the day comes that I can implement Trinnov. Matt and I will test further in my room once we get set up, but any ideas, etc in the meantime are of course welcome.
post #1363 of 1502 Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah, here's what the prototype boxes looked like in Andrews room biggrin.gif

filtor1 likes this.
post #1364 of 1502 Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 838
hell yeah!

you need to work on your gansta hand throw'n signals though. :-)

...50-150hz looks about 5db soft.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #1365 of 1502 Old 01-23-2014, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

hell yeah!

you need to work on your gansta hand throw'n signals though. :-)

...50-150hz looks about 5db soft.

Hahahaha...My level of Gangsta' isn't quite there biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tip on the response...we were crossed at 80hz there to Rilla's subs too. I can't figure out why the sound got muddied, or muddled at times. It was like some passages were really revealing and others mushed some things together. I'm sure Matt knows far better than I, in fact I know he does, I just like hearing different takes as I've still got sooooo much to learn. I thought the high end was very revealing, but wasn't familiar with most of the tracks we played. I also thought the compression and poor recordings on some tracks were contributing. Some of the other speakers that day showed this as well, but to less of an extreme. I'm not sure if these are a bit more revealing of the source, still needed more work, or more than likely both. A few folks said they thought they had the potential to be a world beater with a bit more work, but one had nothing but criticism for them, claiming they wer muddy, harsh, lacked detail and didn't image well. I disagree with the extreme comments, but also agreed that the imaging isn't quite spot on yet. The tough part is that Matt got the dual woofer version sounding great at his place and then I through out the four woofer project again. Neither of us got any time in front of them and we plugged in the dsp settings that seemed like they'd make it happen. It took so long to set everything up at the meet that we had no tweaking time on the dsp either....we had to just let them run. I really had hoped that we'd have had more time, but the GTG ran so tight we barely had time to do what we did.
post #1366 of 1502 Old 01-23-2014, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
driver break in is real... and can be measured as changing T/S parameters.... unlike a lot of other break-in effects that don't seem to show on a simple FR plot, but most definitely are audible to anyone with a set of ears that can listen.

I know you wanted to get these playing for others at the get together... but having the first time you play them be at the GTG itself with no play time before hand didn't do you any favors, as you now know frown.gif ... sounds like in spite of the deck stacked against them in a lot of ways, they still allowed some of the possibilities of their performance potential to shine through...

I read a bit about the get together for the entertainment factor.... It seemed based on the posts I read that you played an MP3 file of songs cut together? it sounds like the content wasn't up to snuff with the revealing nature of the drivers involved, something you'll find as you push towards that end of the audiophile spectrum of ultra resolution and ultra detail and ultra transparency..... what you listen to will change and be dictated by the system if you're not careful..... high end is as much about finding the kind of subjective sound you like so you can relax and enjoy your music preferences as it is about true "accuracy" to the source..... and sometimes that means making it a bit more forgiving to allow you to be able to listen to content you know and love....

the higher the resolution of the speaker, the more obvious the quality of the upstream components... blasphemous for me to say since all electronics and cables sound exactly the same, right smile.gif ....

Shane
post #1367 of 1502 Old 01-23-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterdoc View Post

driver break in is real... and can be measured as changing T/S parameters.... unlike a lot of other break-in effects that don't seem to show on a simple FR plot, but most definitely are audible to anyone with a set of ears that can listen.

I know you wanted to get these playing for others at the get together... but having the first time you play them be at the GTG itself with no play time before hand didn't do you any favors, as you now know frown.gif ... sounds like in spite of the deck stacked against them in a lot of ways, they still allowed some of the possibilities of their performance potential to shine through...

I read a bit about the get together for the entertainment factor.... It seemed based on the posts I read that you played an MP3 file of songs cut together? it sounds like the content wasn't up to snuff with the revealing nature of the drivers involved, something you'll find as you push towards that end of the audiophile spectrum of ultra resolution and ultra detail and ultra transparency..... what you listen to will change and be dictated by the system if you're not careful..... high end is as much about finding the kind of subjective sound you like so you can relax and enjoy your music preferences as it is about true "accuracy" to the source..... and sometimes that means making it a bit more forgiving to allow you to be able to listen to content you know and love....

the higher the resolution of the speaker, the more obvious the quality of the upstream components... blasphemous for me to say since all electronics and cables sound exactly the same, right smile.gif ....

I agree 100%, and Matt and I discussed this quite a bit on the ride out. Quite a few hours of time really may have made much of the difference we were looking for.

You are correct about the GTG too...I reall shouldn't have pushed it, but that's just how I am, typically learning things the hard way. Man I thought I'd let go of that for the most part, but it still happens from time to time. I do think they showed the fact that they have the potential to be killers. I did also think the quality of recordings/source were adding to any negatives, but this was harder to arge because the other offerings didn't suffer as badly..maybe these are just a bit more "true" to what's being fed them. I had heard two of the other speakers demo'd on multiple occasions and at this GTG, I like all of them less than I remember liking them before. The music wasn't what I'd choose and I think that had something to do with it too. The other issue, after Matt and I talking, seems to be the RDL boxes,or at least the implementation of them at the GTG. They wouldn't match as far as gain from one to the next so we had to run tests and adjust them independantly..it seems that our settings, between them and the amps gains, clipped the output of the Marantz. The amps alone only need 1.2v of the Marantz's 2v out to play maxed out with gains full tilt, but the RDL boxes and their gain adjustments affect this too. Ive scrapped those now as they just aren't consistent enough from one unit to the other at levels.

I think in this setup, accuracy is the key. My music setup is another one entirely and this will be all movie playback with the occasional blu ray concert. IMO, movie playback should be as close to 100% accurate as possible to achieve the desired effect of total immersion. I'm sure open to other opinions on this too though. I have to say, this is what's great about the active setup too...I can tweak it if need be. With all of the inexpensive tools at our disposal these days, I can't imagine not going active on builds for the most part.
post #1368 of 1502 Old 01-23-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Chop - As I said before on Saturday and Sunday, thanks for bringing these monsters out last weekend! I'm glad you guys were able to pull off their debut in the nick of time. We were all excited to get to witness their first test run. Even if less than ideal by all means, it was still a heck of a lot of fun. I wish we would have a bunch more time for you guys to be able to make tweaks here and there, but so be it. You've got the right gear, motivation, and the right people helping with your setup, so ultimate success with these guys is just a matter of time and patience.

HTD - BTW the tracks Ben used were are FLAC or equivalent, nothing compressed.
post #1369 of 1502 Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

HTD - BTW the tracks Ben used were are FLAC or equivalent, nothing compressed.

thanks... missed it in my cruising of the results thread.... only saw someone post a link to the tracks to download and it was MP3.... figured it would be at least 16/44.1 but there were lots of mentions about compression of the tracks, so it confused me... must have just meant compression in the recording itself, not caused by the format of the track...

there's such a very wide range of sound quality/recording quality depending on label, producer, artist, even if all recorded in the same resolution..... guess that was it instead...

Shane
post #1370 of 1502 Old 01-23-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterdoc View Post

thanks... missed it in my cruising of the results thread.... only saw someone post a link to the tracks to download and it was MP3.... figured it would be at least 16/44.1 but there were lots of mentions about compression of the tracks, so it confused me... must have just meant compression in the recording itself, not caused by the format of the track...

there's such a very wide range of sound quality/recording quality depending on label, producer, artist, even if all recorded in the same resolution..... guess that was it instead...

No problem. The download track available for online was indeed MP3 format, but the track used at the GTG was a much much larger file. The running joke about compression was largely centered around the Disturbed track that Jim Wilson selected. Throughout the day/night whenever that track would come on we'd all cover our ears and look at him. biggrin.gif
post #1371 of 1502 Old 01-23-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about impressions if the speaker wasn't fully vetted. Small details can make a big difference with speakers like this. These are 4-ways with giant horns. One of the reasons I don't suggest people do something like this for a first design is that it is more difficult than a simple horn and 12" woofer 2-way.

What are the RDL boxes you are talking about?

When you get a chance, posting some unsmoothed measurements would be nice. If you could do a close mic of the BMS coax alone without DSP that would be good too.
post #1372 of 1502 Old 01-23-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Yes I posted the link to the mp3 file because the wav version is over a gig and I didn't think people would want to DL that

The one we played from is like 8 gigs or close. If I remember what Ben told me
post #1373 of 1502 Old 01-23-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Chop,

That Book of Eli scene we rocked at 0db was probably one of the most engaging HT experiences of my life!

Sooo fun!!!

post #1374 of 1502 Old 01-23-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Great to see them up and running. Did the woofers have any break in at all?

Regarding the Flac tracks that is all I usually download anymore. I always can hear the difference when I have any low quality MP3''s being played.

And Chop do you have a picture of your room yet? Render?
post #1375 of 1502 Old 01-23-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 838
cabs stuffed with fiberglass?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #1376 of 1502 Old 01-24-2014, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about impressions if the speaker wasn't fully vetted. Small details can make a big difference with speakers like this. These are 4-ways with giant horns. One of the reasons I don't suggest people do something like this for a first design is that it is more difficult than a simple horn and 12" woofer 2-way.

What are the RDL boxes you are talking about?

When you get a chance, posting some unsmoothed measurements would be nice. If you could do a close mic of the BMS coax alone without DSP that would be good too.

They were the RDL RU4MLD...between their gains and the amps, we just couldn't get things to level all the way out, and when we got them close they were all set so different to get there.

We actually used my laptop to program and Matt's to measure....I think he should have those to post, and probably has the raw BMS, no dsp too....Matt do you still have them??

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Chop,

That Book of Eli scene we rocked at 0db was probably one of the most engaging HT experiences of my life!

Sooo fun!!!

Thanks Austin, I loved the impact, but the critic in me can't help but wonder why the dialogue in that scene was only so so...I know the action is the focus, but the dialogue was still a bit off. The effects where frighteningly real though biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Great to see them up and running. Did the woofers have any break in at all?

Regarding the Flac tracks that is all I usually download anymore. I always can hear the difference when I have any low quality MP3''s being played.

And Chop do you have a picture of your room yet? Render?

No break in what so ever for the woofers or the CDs...I'm sure that contributed, but we just didn't have time. The room is still being dug, I haven't even started the build thread yet....the damn ground being full of rock killed that timeline. I'll have renderings fairly soon, once I get the max size based on how much rock we can get out, and get Keith the measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

cabs stuffed with fiberglass?

Was planning on Ultra touch cotton batt, but only got my hands on polyfil the night before the GTG. I put about 6-8lbs in each main and a few pounds in each top and bottom. I still plan to rebuild nicer cabinets and do them with the Ultra Touch, but may pull the polyfil and use insulation in the test boxes for further tests just because I think it works a bit better. Thoughts??
post #1377 of 1502 Old 01-24-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I've never heard of those. Is that your DSP? A google search doesn't show anything.
post #1378 of 1502 Old 01-24-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never heard of those. Is that your DSP? A google search doesn't show anything.

I hadn't either until he showed them to me. They are an expensive y-splitter (actually 4-way) for XLRs. biggrin.gif
post #1379 of 1502 Old 01-24-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope, just basically a splitter/distribution amp with gain control...the dsp used was in the crown dsi amps
post #1380 of 1502 Old 01-24-2014, 09:41 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Watched a bit of Book of Eli in honor of this GTG (and another GTG I went to) on my new system. There are some sequences in this movie that sure can rock the place. Cool surround effects too. The chaingun-in-your-face part has some serious punch now. Holy crap. My favorite part for whatever reason is when she throws the grenade at the truck. Nice explosion sfx and loud but good loud.

I noticed the dialog in the whole movie whenever it was average to loud it came off a bit rough and maybe a little bit shouty. Definitely is the movie because many others I've watched at even louder volume settings don't sound like that.

Chop, both of our systems are very accurate and will bring out the warts in movies and music. Sure this is one of those cases.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page