AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by awedio View Post

I can't seem to find that grade..

The grades I find http://www.wolstenholme.com/plywood-products/baltic-birch/grading/

Not sure...to be honest, I was just going by what I was told to get by folks here in the past. I just tell them I need grade BB, void free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1516 Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No prob, just wanted to make sure I was asking the suppliers for the correct material
post #1503 of 1516 Old 07-27-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Hey Chop. Do you think 4x15s were necessary in the end?
post #1504 of 1516 Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium 

ChopShop,

As you know I have been enjoying/reading this thread since I also want to have a go at building LCR speakers with the SEOS-24, B&C 4594ND and dual 15" woofers. There was a moment when you talked about complementing the dual 15" woofers with dual 18" woofers. But instead you went for two extra 15". I didn't catch why? Just curious, nothing more: two 15" for each LCR is good enough for me since it's good enough for JBL's cinema speakers...

About the coaxial: is the x-over now active or passive? I was hoping you'd be so kind to let me copy your passive x-over. After which I can use the miniDSP to create an active x-over to the woofers.

I'd be happy to shoot a pm to you with the passive, although I'm not sure it's complete. We may end up active on the coax still as well. I actually had a good convo with one of the engineers at Danley today because I'm also picking up some of their stuff to try out for fun. The jist of our talk today was around the 4594 and getting the two sections (MF/HF) to play perfectly together because the physical unit/loyout of the coax is less than perfect and it's a real bear to getit just right. It will pay to experiment. The passive I have is nothing more than a cutoff between them though, it does no shaping. All shaping is done through the dsp. I really can't wait to get back to work on these, but the room is so far from done that it will be a while(couple months) before we tweak them in there. In the meantime, I'm sure some changes will be made heading in the right/final direction. I know people must think I'm nuts because I bought Danley's too, and in reality, I fully expect the finished SEOSR to best my SH50s, but I am intrigued by the Danley's and want to play with them too
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post
Minid's on the way. Gonna have a go at removing the passive, minor as it is, from the coax, disable the crown dsi dsps and go full active on the dual 15 version in three way mode. Once that's ironed out to perfection the quads will resume. New lumber is for for cabinet rebuilds... Just couldn't look at those old ones anymore.
How are things going with the mega build, ChopShop? Besides the new cabinets, have you done progress on the crossovers? Triple active is still the route to nirvana?

I am going to proceed with mine and need to decide ASAP whether to combine passive for the coax with active to the lows or triple active. The former would be my preference since it saves me 3 amps and I could run al 3 LCR of one miniDSP 10x10 HD. But only if I could make it work good that way.

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR.
post #1505 of 1516 Old 07-28-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Erwin I would still go for the passive 2way and active lows. Still seems like the best option. Not saying that fully active is bad just that I would do the passive/active setup myself.
post #1506 of 1516 Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Hey Chop. Do you think 4x15s were necessary in the end?
Necessary is a strong word here

Not really, dual 15s would have been more than enough, but overkill mentality got the best of me and I figured, hey I'll do this once and done...problem is that I'm not done yet I really haven't messed with anything in the last six months due to priorities and the fact that the room isn't done. Matt has been tweaking for full active, to answer your questions Erwin. It's one of those things where I'm sure passive on the CD would work just fine, but enough well respected designers and engineers (who have worked with the 4594) have told me that the performance gain in the active versions is worth while. I know that guys more knowledgable than myself have made passives work great, just feel like I've gone this far, what's a couple extra amps and a minidsp or two.
post #1507 of 1516 Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Haha, thanks Chop. Yes, 'necessary' is quite a loaded word. None of this is 'necessary', but it sure is fun. Update us once you've got more done
post #1508 of 1516 Old 07-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You can get the 4594 close with a passive network, but a bit of DSP is really needed to make it perfect.

Mike
post #1509 of 1516 Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 117
So.....holy crap there's a ton of info in this thread...most of it way over my head...

In the end, Chop ended up with quad 15's and went full passive. XO on the 4594 somewhere around ~450hz?

After all the mumbo jumbo mtg and costostan were throwing around about baffle sizes and what not, would a MTM with 18's, something like the TD18H+ that can run up and beyond 500hz with ease, be a terrible idea? Say 35-40hz tune?

I've been itching for a build like this, something completely unnecessary and over the top. I already have the amps, and the 8x8 mini for a full active setup.

Also, what's the difference between the 4593 and the 4594? Their specs look identical. Jeff uses the 4593 in his speakers, and I've heard it on more than one occasion and it's awesome. Just curious why he would choose the 93 over the 94.
post #1510 of 1516 Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Double post...
post #1511 of 1516 Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Luke, you're slipping. You shoulda been all over this

I can't recall all the back and forth but I think I was pushing for the 18s and that would still be my position. Use 2 18s and only add two more for vertical directivity if necessary. So ya, you'd be good to go. You'd want to use the XO Matt made up and tailor it to the big woofers. Normally a bad idea, but with a low XO and dsp and knowing that you take the time to measure and make things right, I think you'd do well.

Can't answer your question about the 459x.
post #1512 of 1516 Old 08-27-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Luke, you're slipping. You shoulda been all over this

I can't recall all the back and forth but I think I was pushing for the 18s and that would still be my position. Use 2 18s and only add two more for vertical directivity if necessary. So ya, you'd be good to go. You'd want to use the XO Matt made up and tailor it to the big woofers. Normally a bad idea, but with a low XO and dsp and knowing that you take the time to measure and make things right, I think you'd do well.

Can't answer your question about the 459x.
Are the Matt's XO details posted somewhere in this thread?
post #1513 of 1516 Old 08-27-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think so. You'd have to PM him.
post #1514 of 1516 Old 08-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Actually full active in the end, Jake bought enough amps to do this and it allows for a little more flexibility. One 2x4 minidsp per channel, going to start out with dual 15's first and add the others if needed. I have things very close to where they need to be with the crossover. I still need to drag the speaker outdoors to get a clean look at the low end, I built a rolling cart to house all the amps and gear to make things easier to do that but I first need to get the 2x4 balanced mini DSP I bought for this wired up and programmed.

Previous passive crossover for the MF/HF coax was just a simple thing mostly in there to protect and combine the drivers with no EQ built in, that was handled by the EQ on the active section.
post #1515 of 1516 Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 128
mtg, does the minidsp 2x4 make any audible noise through the CD? I'm trying to decide between the miniDSP 2x4 balanced, unbalanced, and the 8x8 for an active design. 8x8 has about 15dB lower noise floor I think. Really love my 2x4 unbalanced for sub EQ.
post #1516 of 1516 Old 08-28-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Actually full active in the end, Jake bought enough amps to do this and it allows for a little more flexibility. One 2x4 minidsp per channel, going to start out with dual 15's first and add the others if needed. I have things very close to where they need to be with the crossover. I still need to drag the speaker outdoors to get a clean look at the low end, I built a rolling cart to house all the amps and gear to make things easier to do that but I first need to get the 2x4 balanced mini DSP I bought for this wired up and programmed.

Previous passive crossover for the MF/HF coax was just a simple thing mostly in there to protect and combine the drivers with no EQ built in, that was handled by the EQ on the active section.
Can you send me a parts list and diagram for the XO at 6,300hz? I've heard the XO that BMS supplies for $25 or whatever is pure crap.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page