post #1621 of 1635 Old 12-29-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 35
"You cannot timbre match surrounds to the fronts."
-Dennis Erskin

"Timbre matching of the surround to the L,C.R (front) channels. In my view, this is a dubious feature. Sounds arriving from the sides, or from random incidences will have timbres that differ from sounds arriving from the front because of the head and external ears - see HRTF explanation, p. 16. It is nature at work, and it needs no correction."
"In multichannel surround sound systems, a persistent problem is the mismatch in the timbral signatures of the various loudspeakers. Some of this may be caused by real differences between the loudspeakers but, even if they are identical devices, there will be differences attributable to different positions in the room."
Dr. Floyde Toole
Direction and Space – the Final Frontiers

don't shoot the messenger and don't knock it until you've done a double blind test
Mfusick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1635 Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post
I agree with both points.
1. The links don't work.
2. The argument that frequency or power response need not match between speakers in a surround system does not seem logical.

I've read Toole's book. It's excellent. It should almost be "required reading" for AVS. I won't claim to have memorized all the content, but I certainly don't recall anything that would lead me to a conclusion like the one being presented. If we could be pointed toward a reference that would certainly help. I'll go refresh my understanding on whichever data is relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a|F View Post
Select multi channel stereo and explain to me how timbre matching doesn't matter. My tempests and jbl 8340 are not a match and it is annoyingly obvious. Control the things you can and work around the rest.
Right... I think the confusion is this... since we hear things differently as it pans around us, some people may mistakenly think that the 'source' of those sounds doesn't have to be timbre matched.. which doesn't make sense to me... because whatever 'source that is panning around in real life' is also exactly timbre matched...

I suppose ambient sound won't matter as much as 'voices' for instance... we can recognize voices very well... imagine if my sister was talking to me and walking to the back of me.. Even as her 'voice's timbre' changes, i can recognize her because the 'changes' are expected... but if suddenly when she's behind me, my 'other sister' continue to talk and she has a different timbre.. i bet i'll instantly recognize it's a different voice... therefore, in my own logical thought experiment, i can conclude that timbre matching is vital...

Of course, 'how much different from speaker to speaker' also affect the overall effect... if other things are being considered.. for instance budget, then perhaps getting a cheaper surround speaker but closer matched might be a good option... There's no hard rules on this as different people have different budgets and rooms and circumstances...
post #1623 of 1635 Old 12-30-2014, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
"You cannot timbre match surrounds to the fronts."
-Dennis Erskin

"Timbre matching of the surround to the L,C.R (front) channels. In my view, this is a dubious feature. Sounds arriving from the sides, or from random incidences will have timbres that differ from sounds arriving from the front because of the head and external ears - see HRTF explanation, p. 16. It is nature at work, and it needs no correction."
"In multichannel surround sound systems, a persistent problem is the mismatch in the timbral signatures of the various loudspeakers. Some of this may be caused by real differences between the loudspeakers but, even if they are identical devices, there will be differences attributable to different positions in the room."
Dr. Floyde Toole
Direction and Space – the Final Frontiers

don't shoot the messenger and don't knock it until you've done a double blind test
Actually he's saying one of the persistent problem is 'mismatched timbral signatures of various loudspeakers'

I believe what he's saying is this:

- You don't want to 're-create' the exact timbral signature of the sound 'arriving' at your listening position.
- He's not saying the 'speakers' should not be timbre matched.
- He's saying that even when speakers are timbre matched, the sound arriving from different locations will be different in terms of their timbral signatures, which is OK because this is natural....
- What's un-natural is to try to 'timbre match' the arriving sound to exactly how it sounds from the front...
post #1624 of 1635 Old 12-30-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Muhahahahahaa....success, pics to follow soon

Lots of good discussion above, thanks for the contributions. I have always been a part of the camp that if possible, all should match. I've read some of the pieces and my interpretation is that the characteristics will be different coming from different places, however, if you hear my voice front and center , then right then rear, etc. the voice characteristics should be the same and the difference will come from the presentation of the sound, relative to the "set/stage" it's being presented on. I know this is basically the same as what is said above and probably common sense...just spewing my thoughts. How much the differences can be perceived is up for debate and even different from user to user of course. I will most certainly experiment with some close matches first and then decide what I require, more than likely.

I will probably have enough gear to go all the same if I decide too. The cost does mount up though..it will be roughly double, or a bit more than double per speaker to build single woofer seos24 4594 combos vs coax, etc. I will match the heights and widths for sure though.
post #1625 of 1635 Old 12-30-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

looking for to the pictures ... do any frequency sweeps/plots on/off axis as well?
post #1626 of 1635 Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
looking for to the pictures ... do any frequency sweeps/plots on/off axis as well?
lol, sorry, I just meant I sourced some parts and I'd have those pics.
post #1627 of 1635 Old 12-30-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
So CHOPSHOP1 tell me more about your plan for audio ecstasy....

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1628 of 1635 Old 12-30-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post
lol, sorry, I just meant I sourced some parts and I'd have those pics.
That's just wrong... I was expecting some speaker pron...

Happy New Year sir
post #1629 of 1635 Old 12-31-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Chop, I read you were wanting 4ohm woofers. If you're going active on the bottom, why does that matter?
post #1630 of 1635 Old 12-31-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Chop, I read you were wanting 4ohm woofers. If you're going active on the bottom, why does that matter?
Going active all the way through.. I was just thinking I'd go 4ohm based on the single woofer version for heights//widths etc. Moar power
post #1631 of 1635 Old 12-31-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Active > passive

100% of the time.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1632 of 1635 Old 12-31-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post
Going active all the way through.. I was just thinking I'd go 4ohm based on the single woofer version for heights//widths etc. Moar power
You decide on amps yet? I think Matt was using the Behringer A500 during testing. Not sure if that was for the mid bass or highs.
post #1633 of 1635 Old 12-31-2014, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
You decide on amps yet? I think Matt was using the Behringer A500 during testing. Not sure if that was for the mid bass or highs.
I haven't honestly. I have enough stuff laying around to test coax's for surrounds, the mains, heights, etc. I figured I'll do that before I determine exactly how many channels/how much power I really need. The mains I know, but the rest will be a bit of an experiment.
post #1634 of 1635 Old 12-31-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
your brain knows the freak'n transfer function of your head... :-)
...and how to adjust for it.

have someone talk to you while walking around a room. in front. to the side. near a wall. in the center of the room.

they still sound like...them!

even though...a meter will record completely different transfer and timing functions. so different in fact that if one were to visually examine the response going into the ear canals of a binaural recording dummy head, nobody would think that it would be possible for the sounds to be even close.
coolgeek likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #1635 of 1635 Old 01-16-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Chopshop what you thinking for round 2?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs