Forum Jump: 
 93Likes
post #1801 of 1814 Old 03-25-2015, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 598
What surrounds are you using? I get lots of info from my surrounds and one time I blew a speaker back there. I do listen at reference all the time. Once I added mains for surrounds the surrounds came alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1814 Old 03-26-2015, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Just build a baffle wall all around including the ceiling so you can have in wall SEOSR everywhere!
You know that sounds like something I'd do! I'd really love to figure out a way to match the surrounds from a capability standpoint. I won't go back into the matching vs not matching timbre, but as more movies are mixed 3d sound, I would think the content would be more taxing on the surrounds...I mean, to make the effect of a jet flying overhead real, or things of that nature, we need some horsepower. I think a waveguide is the wrong choice for most of my channels except the lcr though, so finding a coax, or I gues it would basically be a triax at this point, with an 8 or 10" woofer and the 4594 behind it, would be the next best thing. outside of that, I think many of the 8-12" coaxs will mate well and have the range to keep up with soundtracks..not keep up witht he seosr of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Great to see such a no holds bar system coming to fruition. I just wish that more movies used surrounds effectively. I still only have 5.1 cuz it sounds great but most info coming out of surrounds is still ambient. Some action films have crashes going from front to back but I find it rare for me to finish a movie and say the surrounds were really active. The latest hobbit movie does. It seems the minority. I am hoping that with the new audio formats that they use surrounds better and I will get two more speakers.

Thanks! I'm excited and releaved that I've come to my senses and decided to take the time and do these right.

I hear ya on surrounds, but the hope is that with the new formats, more and more mixes will make them stand out
post #1803 of 1814 Old 03-26-2015, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
What surrounds are you using? I get lots of info from my surrounds and one time I blew a speaker back there. I do listen at reference all the time. Once I added mains for surrounds the surrounds came alive.
Still not positive...leaning toward something like the JBL SCS series atm. When the kids aren't with me, I'm a reference level listener as well, but in my HT, that will be half the time or so at most.
post #1804 of 1814 Old 03-26-2015, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They're home!

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMS.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	626985

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMS4594.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	626993
Scott Simonian, Mfusick and LTD02 like this.
post #1805 of 1814 Old 03-26-2015, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 1397

Is it me or do I see top speakers and side speakers?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1806 of 1814 Old 03-26-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkrace View Post
I don't know when the final spec will be announced but extrapolating based on rumors and the CES setup it stands to reason the layout follows 14 base layers and 13 height layers for a total of 27 channels.

14 Main Channels
All 30 degrees apart and an additional LR Center which is placed 15 degrees to the left and right of the center channel.

Starting from center and going clockwise:
FC (0º), FRc (15º) , FR (30º), RWide(60º), RSurr (90º), RSback (120º), RRear (150º), CenterRear(180º), LRear(210º), LSback (240º) , LSurr (270º), LWide(300º), FL (330º), FLc (345º)

13 Height Channels
Duplicating 12 speakers listed above, removing LR Center, and placing them at a 30 degree elevation above the mains. Add in a single top overhead speaker ala Auro "Voice of God"

Effectively creating a hemisphere of sound around the MLP.

I wonder how accurate that is ^ (regarding DTS-X)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1807 of 1814 Old 03-26-2015, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Man, I am anxious to see how it all shakes out....I am really thinking of taking the plan to the point of foundation, framing etc now and having Shawn hold off on the column and ceiling speaker fixtures until this comes out more clear. I figure I'll be into August by the time the foudation is poured, the framing, siding, roofing etc are done, build risers, stage, drywall etc, so I'll have plenty to get done and maybe DTS changes optimal column placement, ceiling speaker placement..who knows
post #1808 of 1814 Old 03-26-2015, 01:43 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
If you're really concerned about that then just wait a few more weeks for the official announcement from DTS about DTS:X.

It was supposed to be this month but it looks like it got pushed into April.

That said, DTS has noted that their layout will be fully compatible with "other immersive surround formats".

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #1809 of 1814 Old 03-26-2015, 01:48 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post
You know that sounds like something I'd do! I'd really love to figure out a way to match the surrounds from a capability standpoint. I won't go back into the matching vs not matching timbre, but as more movies are mixed 3d sound, I would think the content would be more taxing on the surrounds...I mean, to make the effect of a jet flying overhead real, or things of that nature, we need some horsepower. I think a waveguide is the wrong choice for most of my channels except the lcr though, so finding a coax, or I gues it would basically be a triax at this point, with an 8 or 10" woofer and the 4594 behind it, would be the next best thing. outside of that, I think many of the 8-12" coaxs will mate well and have the range to keep up with soundtracks..not keep up witht he seosr of course.

Thanks! I'm excited and releaved that I've come to my senses and decided to take the time and do these right.

I hear ya on surrounds, but the hope is that with the new formats, more and more mixes will make them stand out

This is true and already more film mixers are taking advantage of "full range" surrounds.

However, please know that in the cinema world bass management is a whole new thing. At home we have already had "full range" surrounds because of it so there is little benefit because of these new formats.

But if you want, it won't hurt anything..... but your wallet.

I'd say if you want a speaker in a surround sound system to be "full range" enough, go to 40hz. Think something like the Pi4 or Sentinel. It would be easier and more practical to get a high power coax that can do a solid 80hz and just have it bass managed like any speaker would.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #1810 of 1814 Old 03-26-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post
Man, I am anxious to see how it all shakes out....I am really thinking of taking the plan to the point of foundation, framing etc now and having Shawn hold off on the column and ceiling speaker fixtures until this comes out more clear. I figure I'll be into August by the time the foudation is poured, the framing, siding, roofing etc are done, build risers, stage, drywall etc, so I'll have plenty to get done and maybe DTS changes optimal column placement, ceiling speaker placement..who knows
You can go ahead and pour. The columns can be moved internally, they are non structural. Plan something on the ceiling like a coffered ceiling, it gives you easy way to add or move overhead speakers now and later. By the time you get around for it to matter, you'll have the info you need.

From everything I am seeing it seems like DTS-X will be a cut above ATMOS in that it doesn't rely on one single speaker layout and it's more format agnostic. The mixers will have the ability to mix in any layout of format they want, and there can even be a metadata flag in the signal that tells the AVR which is which. I would imagine the mapping of channels and stuff will be available too so it will work on 11.2 set up, a 7.4.4 Atmos set up, or a 9.6.6 DTS X set up etc... You will be ok.

-

post #1811 of 1814 Old 03-26-2015, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been searching around looking at other surround options and exploring other BMS options t build. They have a number of triaxials ,but I'm trying to find one that uses 4594 as the coax behind the woofer..they have a couple of 12s that might, but I have to find out tomorrow. I'm not as concerned for the surrounds, but if it works great...the biggest thing I'm thinking of are possible DTS configs and matching height and wide speakers with the lcr as closely as possible without build seosrs for those channels.

Oh yeah, by new 24" sinks showed up today
post #1812 of 1814 Old 03-27-2015, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.parts-express.com/bc-15hc...egree--294-579

http://www.parts-express.com/bc-15cx...egree--294-578

Could make decent surrounds?

Would run active nice too. (crossover not included)

I have no clue honestly- no experience with them. They just caught my eye.

-

post #1813 of 1814 Unread Yesterday, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
You can go ahead and pour. The columns can be moved internally, they are non structural. Plan something on the ceiling like a coffered ceiling, it gives you easy way to add or move overhead speakers now and later. By the time you get around for it to matter, you'll have the info you need.

From everything I am seeing it seems like DTS-X will be a cut above ATMOS in that it doesn't rely on one single speaker layout and it's more format agnostic. The mixers will have the ability to mix in any layout of format they want, and there can even be a metadata flag in the signal that tells the AVR which is which. I would imagine the mapping of channels and stuff will be available too so it will work on 11.2 set up, a 7.4.4 Atmos set up, or a 9.6.6 DTS X set up etc... You will be ok.
The rollout of DTS:X hardware sure sucks...little to no information just a lot of pretty pictures and expensive demos. Promised info for March seems to be pushed back. Hey DTS just give us some dam# information.

I cant wait to see how this works out in the end! Easy bet it wil be AWESOME! !!!!

post #1814 of 1814 Unread Today, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It sounds like it's supports a few different layouts including the Dolby Atmos 7.4.4 standard. Should be cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page