AE Group buy 2013! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Ok, a few folks posted and pm'd asking about an AE group buy to go along with the BMS buy. I have spent the last week or so talking on and off with John and the buy is on! It will run from now until Friday March 8th. Let me say in advance, John has been fantastic and spent a good few hours chatting with me about the buy and about my own build, and even reached out privately to Mark Seaton to get him involved on my project. I can't say enough good things about him, and anyone that will help like that certainly has my business.

So the buy will work as follows:

Per John's request, each person who would like to order on the group buy should pm me with the following details: Name, address to be shipped to, email address and telephone number. John has asked me to do this and send him each order, for which he will email you an invoice directly from AE and ship to you directly. The group buy pricing is going to be dependant on the total pieces ordered, and is listed below. FWIW, my order is for 18 pieces, so we will have the 25+ pricing pretty much right off the bat. The 50 and 100 piece prices will be realistic acheivable as well, I think. John has assured me that he has materials and capacit to get the woofers shipped out fairly quickly. John has commited to shipping the first drivers 3 weeks from now and also commited to shipping a minimum of 20 per week until the order is filled entirely. There will be a price increase, I'm told, for the AE woofers after this buy, so not only are we getting the buy price, but John is not going to increase the base price yet either, so our discount is maxed. The discount is applied to the whole order, any driver, any size. Here's the prices

TD18:
1-3pcs $449
4-9pcs: $399
10-24pcs: $375
24-49pcs: $355
50-99pcs: $335
100pc+ $325

TD15:
1-3pcs $309
4-9pcs: $284
10-24pcs: $275
24-49pcs: $265
50-99pcs: $255
100pc+ $245

TD12's
1-3pcs $289
4-9pcs: $264
10-24pcs: $255
24-49pcs: $245
50-99pcs: $235
100pc+ $225

TD10's
1-3pcs $269
4-9pcs: $244
10-24pcs: $235
24-49pcs: $225
50-99pcs: $215
100pc+ $205

John has said he will bill each party as they order, and if the quantity of the group goes up, he will re work the discounts so that everyone involved will get the max. The first name and initial of each purchaser will be listed on the AE site forum as well so that you can see what level we reach continuosly. I will also update the thread with the info as more folks order.
As I said, just pm me your detials as listed above, along with your order so I can log them and pass to John.
Enjoy biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 56
i don't see how anyone could trust what he says, hes had the phase plugs for td15 now for months and still hasn't shipped them out to people without them me being one of those people ...
post #3 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Question: are the quantities cumulative across models? If we have an order for 50 of the td12s, do we get the 50 qty discount on the 15s?
post #4 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just put in for 2 more TD12X. If my order I just put in a few days ago is counted, that would make 4.
post #5 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Question: are the quantities cumulative across models? If we have an order for 50 of the td12s, do we get the 50 qty discount on the 15s?

"Whole order. Any driver, any size"
post #6 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

"Whole order. Any driver, any size"

Thanks! This is seriously tempting. I'm thinking about a slew of td15M woofs. Mmmmm.
post #7 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I mean absolutely no offense. It's great that John is willing to offer sale pricing again...... But shouldn't John finish the group buy woofers that have been outstanding since October of *2011* before starting another group buy? Unless he made significant progress (and, admittedly, the TD15Hs that I was waiting on got invoiced today and are supposed to be ready to ship... so it's possible); but as of last week he still had 40 woofers to build to complete the 16 month old group buy and he said it would be a few weeks before they would be done. He's still got some phase plugs outstanding as well.

I know your build is on a timeline, Chop, and it is nice that you want to work to get your order into a situation where others will benefit with better pricing (it doesn't hurt if it helps you either, huh? smile.gif hehe)... but the timing of this new group buy gives me a bit of pause. Folks should walk into this new group buy with their eyes *wide* open. The existing group buy thread on AE has been sanitized a bit. But it's worth a read. The one on this forum should be read as well and online searches for other commentary should be done so that folks know what they are getting themselves into. John will eventually deliver woofers to customers. That aspect of trust hasn't been broken. But for a multitude of reasons, I personally would never trust a delivery estimate from him ever.
louisdamani and its phillip like this.

Shane
post #8 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

It's my lucky day. I was doing a 12X build anyway for towers. Now I'll just add another two as 30" tall surrounds. If someone builds a crossover for 2 TD12X's in a tower (SEOS12 or BMS 4593-4 w XT, pretty please.....), I'd order another 2.

There is also a secret sale at Emotiva, so I grabbed an XPA-5 in the $600's shipped. My Trinnov receiver is also in, and was a huge bargain. I ordered an EP4000 with a Walmart gift card. My SI 18" dual opposed is almost done and will run alongside my SubM until it sells....

My good audio system is slowly evolving into a monster biggrin.gif
post #9 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Heck ya. Way to go Chop. BMS and AE GB at the same time. biggrin.gif

You just made up my mind on which way I'm going on my build. smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #10 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

It's my lucky day. I was doing a 12X build anyway for towers. Now I'll just add another two as 30" tall surrounds. If someone builds a crossover for 2 TD12X's in a tower (SEOS12 or BMS 4593-4 w XT, pretty please.....), I'd order another 2.

There is also a secret sale at Emotiva, so I grabbed an XPA-5 in the $600's shipped. My Trinnov receiver is also in, and was a huge bargain. I ordered an EP4000 with a Walmart gift card. My SI 18" dual opposed is almost done and will run alongside my SubM until it sells....

My good audio system is slowly evolving into a monster biggrin.gif

I was thinking of an MTM using the TD12X's with 4594 and XR1464 also. That would make for an incredible full range system for music!!! It helps that I live near AE so I could just swing by and pick up the TD's.
post #11 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

I was thinking of an MTM using the TD12X's with 4594 and XR1464 also. That would make for an incredible full range system for music!!! It helps that I live near AE so I could just swing by and pick up the TD's.

Yep. If someone was thinking of working on a crossover for it, I'd grab two 4594's right now.
post #12 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

Yep. If someone was thinking of working on a crossover for it, I'd grab two 4594's right now.

That was my initial thought when the BMS group buy first materialized. Wish I knew how to design xovers. frown.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #13 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterdoc View Post

I mean absolutely no offense. It's great that John is willing to offer sale pricing again...... But shouldn't John finish the group buy woofers that have been outstanding since October of *2011* before starting another group buy? Unless he made significant progress (and, admittedly, the TD15Hs that I was waiting on got invoiced today and are supposed to be ready to ship... so it's possible); but as of last week he still had 40 woofers to build to complete the 16 month old group buy and he said it would be a few weeks before they would be done. He's still got some phase plugs outstanding as well.

I know your build is on a timeline, Chop, and it is nice that you want to work to get your order into a situation where others will benefit with better pricing (it doesn't hurt if it helps you either, huh? smile.gif hehe)... but the timing of this new group buy gives me a bit of pause. Folks should walk into this new group buy with their eyes *wide* open. The existing group buy thread on AE has been sanitized a bit. But it's worth a read. The one on this forum should be read as well and online searches for other commentary should be done so that folks know what they are getting themselves into. John will eventually deliver woofers to customers. That aspect of trust hasn't been broken. But for a multitude of reasons, I personally would never trust a delivery estimate from him ever.

I hear you for sure, and in talking with John, I wanted to set this up last week and he wanted to wait til' now....he wanted to get the current stuff filled, which he says is about done now and will be finished in the coming week or two. This is why the orders from this buy will start in three weeks, to assure all those are filled first. This is also why I wanted to talk to John a bit about it first, and why I spent so much time talking to him. I am 100% comfortable with him, everyone will have to make that decision for themselves. Hopefully this one will work out much better smile.gif
post #14 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieattk View Post

i don't see how anyone could trust what he says, hes had the phase plugs for td15 now for months and still hasn't shipped them out to people without them me being one of those people ...

I hear ya man, and it was not my intent to ruffle any feathers, just trying to help out as others have done for me on AVS. I would contact John if I was you and see what's up....in my experience he has been very responsive.

From talking with him, I believe he underestimated the first buy by a large margin and discounted so heavily that it became tough. This time around, I hope works out better.
post #15 of 363 Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Hi everyone, just wanted to elaborate on some things and make sure to clarify others. First as many of you know, the previous group buy had some issues beyond my control that caused some serious delays. Last year was probably one of the most difficult years of my life from a business perspective. I have made it through though and since the beginning of this year things have been rebounding nicely. The last few of those old group buy orders mentioned will be completely filled prior to making any of these woofers. I just posted up in the thread on my forum earlier. Those orders will be completed pending final payment by the end of next week. Anyone waiting on phase plugs can expect that they will be shipped out Friday this week or Monday next week. I will confirm as those phase plugs are shipped and the orders are completed.

I did have some reservations at first about doing another group buy. Some things will obviously need to be different this time. I want to provide a solution that will be manageable to deliver and also help people feel more comfortable. I believe the solution will do that. Chop will put together the list of everyone who wants woofers and they will be listed in the order in which he receives those requests. I will post this list up on my forum so everyone can see where their position is on the list. I have committed to shipping 20 woofers per week and will specifically allocate time and space on the build tables to do so. This is a good quantity that is manageable while at the same time allows me to keep things deliverable for my OEM and other DIY orders. If time allows during slower periods between OEM orders, I will ship more than the 20pcs.

Here is how the payment process will work. I will NOT be taking payment for all the woofers up front or even doing a down payment up front for all of them. I do not want to worry about holding on to anyone's money for an extended period of time. Instead, each week I will send out Paypal invoices for 20+ woofers. As those invoices are paid, the woofers will be put into the spots in the build queue that I have committed for this group buy. The woofers will then ship within 3 weeks. Each week we will send out the next invoices for 20 woofers to ship within the following 3 week period. This will repeat until all woofers from the group buy are completed. This means that there will never be more than a 3 week period between money being received and the woofers shipping. The overall number of orders will determine when the last woofers are completed.

At this time, I have no way of knowing how many woofers that will be. Having a running list where people can see their position in the queue should allow people to be prepared and expecting their invoices. People are free to drop off the list if necessary at any time up until the payment is made. However, to keep the process running smoothly I would ask that if you do need to drop off the list that you could please confirm this prior to being invoiced. If an invoice is not paid within 3 days of being sent, that person will be bumped to the next week and the next up in line will be invoiced instead. I will make sure the initial invoices are sent on Mondays so they do not arrive over the weekend when people are more likely to be away.

The group buy can stay open until Friday March 8 at 12:00am (midnight) central time. After that period, no orders will be accepted. The first woofers from this list can begin shipping right away in 3 weeks. Unlike some group buys, there is benefit to getting orders in sooner rather than later as it gives a better position in the queue.

A few have mentioned orders placed in the past few weeks and asking if those can now apply to the discount. I cannot go back and reinvoice orders that have already been paid for to count them in this group buy. Realize that those orders are already listed in the build queue, steel has been ordered/machined, and they have been scheduled.

I hope this is an acceptable solution. If there are any questions or concerns, please let me know.

John

John E. Janowitz
Acoustic Elegance, LLC
"Learn from the mistakes of others... you can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself"
post #16 of 363 Old 02-13-2013, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'm probably missing something - will the total number of elements be known when the invoices starts going out? Otherwise the price may drop after the first people have already paid theirs?

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #17 of 363 Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Nightlord, the deadline for GB orders means that the total will be known before people are invoiced. Or at least that's how I read the situation.
post #18 of 363 Old 02-13-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Sorry if this was asked just checked the thread quickly. will they each ship at time of water and then be credited back if there's more purchased
post #19 of 363 Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Each order will be logged in order. I will be forwarding all to John. The buy runs until the 8th, and John has a couple of weeks until prior orders are filled and he can start building ours. By the te the first orders are invoiced, the numbers should be in. John has said that if for some reason more buys come in last minute, he will adjust invoices that have been paid and get money back to the customer. I don't think this should be a problem though
post #20 of 363 Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #21 of 363 Old 02-13-2013, 10:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Up to 22 folks

are you at the 100 piece plus price point yet?
post #22 of 363 Old 02-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Another AE Group Buy, you say?

Dare I?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #23 of 363 Old 02-13-2013, 01:40 PM

and the price for the IB15
Nightlord likes this.
post #24 of 363 Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Another AE Group Buy, you say?

Dare I?

Yes you dare, sir! 12 18s or something like that biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Egerskog View Post

John, can you update us with this?? Thanks

as an update, we are over thirty pieces now also.
post #25 of 363 Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Egerskog View Post

I second that motion.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #26 of 363 Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 AM

The last group buy did only offer the TD-series, I guess the same apply here.
post #27 of 363 Old 02-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
For this group buy I will only be able to offer the TD woofers as with the last one. It gets to be far too difficult when trying to offer multiple driver lines at a discounted price at the same time. Someday I may do an IB/SBP group buy, but there are no plans for that currently.

John

John E. Janowitz
Acoustic Elegance, LLC
"Learn from the mistakes of others... you can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself"
post #28 of 363 Old 02-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_E_Janowitz View Post

For this group buy I will only be able to offer the TD woofers as with the last one. It gets to be far too difficult when trying to offer multiple driver lines at a discounted price at the same time. Someday I may do an IB/SBP group buy, but there are no plans for that currently.

John
John, how about the LO15? For those interested in an open baffle woofer that can play higher but gives up a little bottom end.

http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1842&p=6874&hilit=LO15#p6874

https://sites.google.com/site/drivervault/driver-measurements/15

Mike
post #29 of 363 Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg963 View Post

are you at the 100 piece plus price point yet?

Sorry, I meant that as 22 units, not people. Now we are up to 30 pieces.
post #30 of 363 Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 AM

Liked: 10
I assume the TD6 would be included as well. How does pricing break down for the TD6H/M?

Also, as a participant of the last group buy and someone still waiting for one piece from my order of 7 TD15M, I hope everyone getting involved does so with realistic expectations. I did not have a deadline to meet so the long wait is not an issue for me, but clearly **** happens and delays are unavoidable. At least this time there's no money collected up front and if you're tired of waiting you just withdraw your order prior to invoicing.

Hope things go a little smoother this time around.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page