statements spec? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
do you just add up the rated rms of each speaker in the cabnit Is it simple like that or is there more to it like cross overs or something?
any specs on the statements like sensitivity db I will be building the statements cc soon parts on the way from Meniscus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 02-13-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 266

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpost.php4?p=379820&postcount=781

I can't find anything about power but Jim Holtz recommends minimum 100wats..

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpost.php4?p=385185&postcount=807

post #3 of 63 Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas 1966 View Post

do you just add up the rated rms of each speaker in the cabnit Is it simple like that or is there more to it like cross overs or something?
any specs on the statements like sensitivity db I will be building the statements cc soon parts on the way from Meniscus

Did you see the new Finalists? Those are pretty nice too, but not quite the size of Statements.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #4 of 63 Old 02-13-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpost.php4?p=379820&postcount=781

I can't find anything about power but Jim Holtz recommends minimum 100wats..
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpost.php4?p=385185&postcount=807
I followed your link so 89
thanks
post #5 of 63 Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

if i am doing this right by adding the rms of each speaker together(is that how you do it?)
full size statements towers have a rms of 230 watts (rounded off)
peak of 460 watts
so I am thinking they need a 300 x 2 amp rated at 8 ohms leaving some head room and dynamics
the center being rms of 165 needs a 200 watt amp or less so my avr is rated 125 wpc to save money just run off of the avr later buying a 200 watt x 5 amp for center and surrounds
or maybe stay with the avr for these it does not seem it would be that much of a difference to make it worth buying a 200 watt amp when i someday do the statements towers I can see her rolling her eyes over a $1,000 dollor pile of parts so i need to budget for the most bang for the buck
post #6 of 63 Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Avr is fine. The rating you are looking at is closer to power handling, not power needed to play loud enough.

post #7 of 63 Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Have you completed the Statements build yet, OP? I am highly considering doing a pair of Statements and a Statement Center, but I want to make sure that it is up to the performance of the Seos12 and Corn-Scala in terms of Sound Quality. I am also curious as to how the Statements would stack up against the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, or the Mini-Statements versus the Sierra-1, also from Ascend. If any of you guys know anything about this, please either post up, or PM me. I will probably start my own thread with these questions later today.
post #8 of 63 Old 02-15-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Just received statements cc kit yesterday faster than exspected to Hawaii and packed well I was impressed.
I will use Meniscus again for the towers when I am ready.also very fast on responding to my email.
seems like a small personal company that have a love for their work.
post #9 of 63 Old 02-15-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Statements kit?

Can you provide the source for the kit(s)?

Nevermind, I found the Meniscus site, cool!

Based on the reviews and, it would be hard to believe the Statements would not best the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, but that is subjective.

post #10 of 63 Old 02-15-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I always wanted to build them.
Post some pix of your build!

post #11 of 63 Old 02-15-2013, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

It will be a few weeks at least before I start I ordered a bosch 1617 combo router and bits and jasper 200 pro circle jig etc the money is starting to add up but at least I will have the router for when I build the towers and a sub feels like xmass
post #12 of 63 Old 02-16-2013, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Have you completed the Statements build yet, OP? I am highly considering doing a pair of Statements and a Statement Center, but I want to make sure that it is up to the performance of the Seos12 and Corn-Scala in terms of Sound Quality. I am also curious as to how the Statements would stack up against the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, or the Mini-Statements versus the Sierra-1, also from Ascend. If any of you guys know anything about this, please either post up, or PM me. I will probably start my own thread with these questions later today.

A far as I know, Statements are a 90dB sensitive speaker (if someone knows for sure, please elaborate). This means that for reference level playback, if you sit around 12 feet away, they will need over 400W each, closer to 500W.

With one Watt in, at around 12 feet you get 78dB. The first 100W (what a receiver usually can give), gets you to 98dB. 200W gets you to 101dB. 400W to 104dB (ONLY if there is ZERO power compression. Good luck with that). Reference level can ask 105dB from any speaker, and 115dB from a sub. if you listen 5-10dB below reference, you should be great with 300W each.

You simply cannot get past a low sensitivity speaker for reference level home theater playback without running into problems, hence the popularity of higher sensitivity builds lately.

For lower volume playback, the Statements look like a real hi quality speaker, and are very well regarded. But they are not the right tool for the job in an HT that needs to be capable of Reference Level playback.

JSS
post #13 of 63 Old 02-16-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

A far as I know, Statements are a 90dB sensitive speaker (if someone knows for sure, please elaborate). This means that for reference level playback, if you sit around 12 feet away, they will need over 400W each, closer to 500W.

With one Watt in, at around 12 feet you get 78dB. The first 100W (what a receiver usually can give), gets you to 98dB. 200W gets you to 101dB. 400W to 104dB (ONLY if there is ZERO power compression. Good luck with that). Reference level can ask 105dB from any speaker, and 115dB from a sub. if you listen 5-10dB below reference, you should be great with 300W each.

You simply cannot get past a low sensitivity speaker for reference level home theater playback without running into problems, hence the popularity of higher sensitivity builds lately.

For lower volume playback, the Statements look like a real hi quality speaker, and are very well regarded. But they are not the right tool for the job in an HT that needs to be capable of Reference Level playback.

JSS

Man I live in an apartment and absolutely never go any higher than -15db on the volume. Doesn't matter because I am using a Behringer EP4k to power my left and right mains, and then a single Behringer EP1.5k for the center. So I should have more than enough power to get the volume levels I want in my room, which is also small.

Not everyone is interested in reference level play back. That would be dead last on my list of priorities.
post #14 of 63 Old 02-16-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

89 db I think I am using m 70s now with a denon 3312 I only need about 6 db more than I am getting now to be where i want so I should be alright I think. what are the higher sensitivity towers? as I have only bought the center kit so far.
post #15 of 63 Old 02-16-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Man I live in an apartment and absolutely never go any higher than -15db on the volume. Doesn't matter because I am using a Behringer EP4k to power my left and right mains, and then a single Behringer EP1.5k for the center. So I should have more than enough power to get the volume levels I want in my room, which is also small.

Not everyone is interested in reference level play back. That would be dead last on my list of priorities.

Not everyone knows the limitations of low sensitivity speakers, either. I guess I should have quoted the OP. My mistake. But since you did bring up 2 high sensitivity type speakers to compare to the Statements, I thought I would share where they differ, and the limitations therein.

JSS
post #16 of 63 Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not everyone knows the limitations of low sensitivity speakers, either. I guess I should have quoted the OP. My mistake. But since you did bring up 2 high sensitivity type speakers to compare to the Statements, I thought I would share where they differ, and the limitations therein.

JSS

That is true, I suppose. I have personally never been a fan of high efficiency speakers compared to what I will call, hifi speakers. To me, having the best reproduction of vocals and other mid-range to high-range sounds, takes priority over being able to fill the room with reference level sound. Now granted, this is a highly individual thing and everyone has their own opinion. I can certainly see what so many people love about high efficiency designs. They fill the room with lots of sound, have killer dynamics, and sound more like an actual movie theater. I get that some folks love those traits, but for myself, I am willing to sacrifice some SPL for detail and clarity. There are several brands and models that combine the high efficiency design benefits with the hifi sound quality benefits to form a speaker that is truly spectacular, unfortunately those usually cost well over $10,000.00. LoL. Unfortunately I can not afford those frown.gif

With all of that being said in the above paragraph, I am exploring possible ways to make a really nice high efficiency speaker that has just as good sound quality as something like the Ascend Acoustics Sierra or Salk Song-Tower. Perhaps that is shooting a little too high and I should consider trying to best something like a Dynaudio Focus 360 or a Paradigm Studio 100, or Paradigm Signature series. There are brands and models that get a lot of respect in the DIY high efficiency world such as TAD, Radian, Beyma, BMS, ect;...I plan on building something from some of these drivers one day......First thing is first though, and that is the Statements or Corn-Scalas!
post #17 of 63 Old 02-17-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

you guys got me double thinking this statements build but I already bought the center kit just waiting on my tools from amazon to get here.
looks like I will need a 300 x 2 amp for the towers.one thing a year next year the towers and the next the amp and the next year after that a killer sub. surlely that will be enough for a good loud movie theater type sound with good dynamics. I have 4 jbl es250 subs
and will build A good sub someday to add to the subs i already have so I can cross at 80 hz this would give more loudness and dynamics to the statements towers from the amp above 80hz
I really set out spending more money than i should to make some speakers I would love and be amazed to listen to for music and blow you away movie sound I would be happy with for at least 10 years or more the WAF.As I read more and my ears get more trained it is hard to enjoy what I have now polk m 70s mains jbl es center running on a denon 3312 at first I was amazed with what I have but has worn off. I will be really sad after spending all this time and money that I only get a small improvement. and later find out I built the wrong speakers.
post #18 of 63 Old 02-17-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I would be surprised if you need more than half the power you are talking about. A true 100 -150w in HT is way loud even for the most inefficient speakers.
I don't have the largest theater, but I could never use even 100w with 88db speakers. Even that gets me to 120db peaks.

post #19 of 63 Old 02-17-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 266

How is that possible? 100w gets you 120db peaks with a speaker rated at 88db...maybe if you were sitting 1 feet away but not at a normal listening distance. You would need something like 6000 watts to get to 120db.

post #20 of 63 Old 02-17-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

I would be surprised if you need more than half the power you are talking about. A true 100 -150w in HT is way loud even for the most inefficient speakers.
I don't have the largest theater, but I could never use even 100w with 88db speakers. Even that gets me to 120db peaks.
Thats good to know I will keep my hopes up
I had thought if I had a 300 watt amp. rms would probly be more like 250 watts and thats what I think the rms of the statement towers would be but for more head room and dynamics a more powerful amp would be a little better but out of my budget all this money for a amp just to get an extra 6db but that may be enough and it would allow more power from the avr to power the other 5 channels maybe also my avr will last longer so I will continue down this route I will like the outcome but my stereo will be worth twice that of my work truck by the time im finished
post #21 of 63 Old 02-18-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had thought if I had a 300 watt amp. rms would probly be more like 250 watts and thats what I think the rms of the statement towers would be but for more head room and dynamics a more powerful amp would be a little better but out of my budget all this money for a amp just to get an extra 6db but that may be enough and it would allow more power from the avr to power the other 5 channels maybe also my avr will last longer so I will continue down this route I will like the outcome but my stereo will be worth twice that of my work truck by the time im finished

What brand and model is your AVR? How big is your listening area?

I seriously doubt that you are going to be disappointed because of lack of SPL. Don't let those guys get to you. They always preach about high efficiency and being able to hit reference, over sound quality. I would take sound quality any day over high efficiency.. I am sure that you will be able to drive these Statements to levels higher than you would normally listen at. The truth is that most of us rarely ever listen to anything even remotely close to reference. Good luck with your build and don't sweat the small stuff! smile.gif
post #22 of 63 Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

How is that possible? 100w gets you 120db peaks with a speaker rated at 88db...maybe if you were sitting 1 feet away but not at a normal listening distance. You would need something like 6000 watts to get to 120db.

Well, I am not just running a pair of mains. They are part of a multi-channal HT system.
Even when I am running only stereo, there is no way I could be seated in front of my speakers for extended periods without hearing damage/headaches.
HT is one thing with peaks here and there. But continual listening at anywhere those levels is literally painful.

I don't know who these people are that listen to things at reference levels for casual listening.

post #23 of 63 Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree, it is always better to have plenty of headroom for sure. 250W will be headroom galore.

This is not a cheap hobby! wink.gif

post #24 of 63 Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

you guys got me double thinking this statements build but I already bought the center kit just waiting on my tools from amazon to get here.
looks like I will need a 300 x 2 amp for the towers.one thing a year next year the towers and the next the amp and the next year after that a killer sub. surlely that will be enough for a good loud movie theater type sound with good dynamics. I have 4 jbl es250 subs
and will build A good sub someday to add to the subs i already have so I can cross at 80 hz this would give more loudness and dynamics to the statements towers from the amp above 80hz
I really set out spending more money than i should to make some speakers I would love and be amazed to listen to for music and blow you away movie sound I would be happy with for at least 10 years or more the WAF.As I read more and my ears get more trained it is hard to enjoy what I have now polk m 70s mains jbl es center running on a denon 3312 at first I was amazed with what I have but has worn off. I will be really sad after spending all this time and money that I only get a small improvement. and later find out I built the wrong speakers.

Dont let the people who consider SPL capability as the #1 priority, make that your #1 priority. rolleyes.gif You are going to be very impressed with the Statements.
post #25 of 63 Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys,

I was not trying to start a war here. But as far as I can tell, the OP wants SPL capability.

I personally listen at -7 to -10dBref, due to a combination of small children + distortion limitations. I use 93dB mains, and they begin to sound strained above -7dBRef, so counter to the above, sound quality actually is something I seriously pay attention to.

Lemme put it to you this way:

1. IF, again, I say IF Reference Level playback is a high priority for you, low sensitivity speakers are not the best way to go.

2. If you are interested in sound quality over everything else, and do not require Reference Level playback, low sensitivity speakers in a well treated room are a very good option.

3. No matter what speaker type you choose, room treatments are essential to good sound, but that is also a matter of preference vs reference. JBL's Everests will sound like crap in an empty gymnasium to my ears, but may be magic to another's.

If you already have the Statement stuff, build them. I cannot think of a single person that did not think they were amazing, they are world-class.

As for reaching 120dB peaks with 88dB speakers, your 88dB speakers are not providing the 120dB by themselves, they cannot, unless room modes are doing some boosting (SPL meters do not care what frequency the highest amplitude is at). Greater than 115dB peaks are only possible when subwoofer + several speakers are all playing back coherent sound at the limits of the amplitude built into the spec, IF you have flat frequency response at the location your SPL meter is measuring. My old house had a great +15dB peak at 60Hz. Needless to say, Reference Level,was easy to get at that frequency, and 'midbass slam' was quite prominent in any recording. Once EQ'ed, everything was much quieter, and it was far easier to run into distortion limits than SPL limits.

People playing back at Reference with only 100-150W AVR power and 88dB speakers are deluding themselves. By definition there is negative headroom in such a scenario at >3m listening distances for the loudest passages. I would be very curious to test such a system and see how much distortion is present.

JSS
post #26 of 63 Old 02-18-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As for reaching 120dB peaks with 88dB speakers, your 88dB speakers are not providing the 120dB by themselves, they cannot, unless room modes are doing some boosting (SPL meters do not care what frequency the highest amplitude is at). Greater than 115dB peaks are only possible when subwoofer + several speakers are all playing back coherent sound at the limits of the amplitude built into the spec, IF you have flat frequency response at the location your SPL meter is measuring. My old house had a great +15dB peak at 60Hz. Needless to say, Reference Level,was easy to get at that frequency, and 'midbass slam' was quite prominent in any recording. Once EQ'ed, everything was much quieter, and it was far easier to run into distortion limits than SPL limits.

There is no question, as I stated above, 5.1 and level balanced. 88db is anechoic, not real world.
The OP said he is building the center so I would assume it will be at least 5.1 as well.

But, yes, if SPL is your focus then yes, you would want much more efficient speakers.

If you want balance or SPL and SQ, based on the testimonials, I would bet you will be very pleased with the Statements.

post #27 of 63 Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:

Guys,

I was not trying to start a war here. ...
It's one of them topics that has always been debated. ( at least as I remember ) wink.gif
Peak reading meters have been around long enough to provide guidelines and a good idea of the dynamic range of any piece of music.

"Beware of Salesmen: They are the modern Svengali, immune to Science and Reality"
post #28 of 63 Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What brand and model is your AVR? How big is your listening area?

I seriously doubt that you are going to be disappointed because of lack of SPL. Don't let those guys get to you. They always preach about high efficiency and being able to hit reference, over sound quality. I would take sound quality any day over high efficiency.. I am sure that you will be able to drive these Statements to levels higher than you would normally listen at. The truth is that most of us rarely ever listen to anything even remotely close to reference. Good luck with your build and don't sweat the small stuff! smile.gif
I have a denon 3312 and the room is 17 x 19 x 8 ceiling I would maybe buy a xpa-2 emotiva 300 x 2 for the mains unless someone knows a better route best bang for the buck but still have good sound low fan noise long lasting etc I would run all other channels off the avr maybe a amp for the center I think 200 watts would be enough for the center I would buy the xpa-3 but it is only 200 x 3 anyone know of a amp rated 300 x 3 at 8 ohms under $1,000
post #29 of 63 Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I would build them first and try out what you have.
You may already have all the power you need.
Thomas 1966 likes this.

post #30 of 63 Old 02-18-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

There is no question, as I stated above, 5.1 and level balanced. 88db is anechoic, not real world.
The OP said he is building the center so I would assume it will be at least 5.1 as well.

But, yes, if SPL is your focus then yes, you would want much more efficient speakers.

If you want balance or SPL and SQ, based on the testimonials, I would bet you will be very pleased with the Statements.

Agreed. I think the statements with the power the OP has will be a great improvement over nearly any system.

JSS
Thomas 1966 likes this.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page