Need recommendation for DIY CLEAN and Powerful SUB - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 70 Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Yes and no. That is true to a certain extent.

Obviously, it is easier to pass on DIY stuff to DIYers. Usually though, you can at least sell the electronics and drivers for a similar ratio and on occasion you can sell your creation for what you have into it if its a proven design.

I was able to sell my THT for exactly what I had in it to someone that did not want the hassle of building one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel Drake View Post

My point wasn't about saying I'm saving X amount of dollars every hour I do this, I was trying to say that because you are building speakers you are giving up other things that you could be doing. The opportunity cost isn't always in dollars, it could be in utility gained. For simplicitys sake.... say:

Total Value = Utility gained/hr + Wage/hr

Where 1 utility gained/hr = 1 $/hr
Where wage would be negative if you hired something done.

Maximizing your Total Value doesn't mean minimizing $ spent or maximizing $ earned because the rate of utility gain will be different for different activities.

My inner economist is showing. biggrin.gif

By this measure, I've wasted pools of money/opportunity by just sitting in front of my system being a theater-potato.
Meh biggrin.gif

I actually spend 99% of my time using the stuff, rather than building the stuff.

For example, I made 2 subwoofers, here the breakdown of that in hours and dollars:
  • 12 hours actually "making" the subwoofers
  • 1 hour buying the various parts (To the tune of $3000, including shipping)
  • 4000 hours listening to them (and counting).
post #63 of 70 Old 02-22-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

[*] 4000 hours listening to them (and counting).
[/LIST]

I've never met anyone who actually clocks in and out of their theater room? biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #64 of 70 Old 02-22-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

Yes and no. That is true to a certain extent.

Obviously, it is easier to pass on DIY stuff to DIYers. Usually though, you can at least sell the electronics and drivers for a similar ratio and on occasion you can sell your creation for what you have into it if its a proven design.

I was able to sell my THT for exactly what I had in it to someone that did not want the hassle of building one.

Well of course there are exceptions but that is not the norm lol. I literally had to give away my THT's. For the most part, you are only loosing your time but around my parts, not many people even know what a dIY sub even is, they all think Velodyne is the best of the best hahaha

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #65 of 70 Old 02-22-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
No question, I may have gotten lucky with that one.
Sometimes patience pays off too.

It is tough to compete with the ignorant that have no idea what they are buying.

post #66 of 70 Old 02-22-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel Drake View Post

That's great, building speakers is a great hobby, just realize that you are giving up doing other things to do it. I have made no point that says anything about making a business from building speakers, I'm just saying that you have to consider the value of your time spent, and how you could spend it if you weren't building speakers.

I just made (or attempted to make) my point using money because it is easier to quantify (for most people) than the concept of utility/utils.

Say I am currently looking for speakers.

To DIY it would take me 40 hours of research and building time, and 700 dollars.
To buy speakers it would cost 1000 dollars and take 8 hours of research.

So I would have 300 dollars less, and 32 more hours that I could consume in any way I wanted.

Do I value the 32 hours of being able to spend time with my g/f, play with my dog, play video games, ect or 300 dollars more.

This won't be the same for anyone, and I made up numbers =)

Is there value assigned to sitting on the couch watching TV? It's my spare time, so I dont see the point in assigning value to it unless I'm trying to charge someone else for my time.

A $700 DIY speaker will at the minimum, compare to a $1500 commercial product.
post #67 of 70 Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Is there value assigned to sitting on the couch watching TV? It's my spare time, so I dont see the point in assigning value to it unless I'm trying to charge someone else for my time.

A $700 DIY speaker will at the minimum, compare to a $1500 commercial product.

That is just it, you are valuing your TV watching time, even if you don't realize it. You are maximizing your total utility even if you don't realize it. It is a good thing, just some people need a push to realize what they are doing/need to do.
post #68 of 70 Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

since you were going to buy a pair of xv30's, why not make something like that.

they work out to about 8-8.5 cubic feet or so internal volume, which would be great for a pair of dayton rss390 drivers. they are 4 ohm, so you could wire them in parallel for a net 2 ohm load. go for two enclosures, so a total of 4 drivers.

the 6" precision port can be purchased.

the cabs you can build.

the duratex can be purchased.

a simple behringer ep4000 can be had for $275 and will put out 1000 watts per channel into 2 ohms.

tuned to 21hz, that should get you the performance of two xv30's for less than the price of one.

some sort of eq and high pass would be recommended.

alternatively, a quad set of dayton rss460 drivers, four 4 cubic foot sealed flat packs from diysoundgroup, and a cerwin vega cvx5000 amplifier would make some noise. :-0

there are lots of options.

I keep seeing everyone say you can get this amp for $275... can you please tell me where???? Im about to buy one next friday, but i only see them for $370 everywhere i look... an extra hundred bucks off would be nice.. that should cover the costs to finish the box or something
post #69 of 70 Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThatStands View Post

I keep seeing everyone say you can get this amp for $275... can you please tell me where???? Im about to buy one next friday, but i only see them for $370 everywhere i look... an extra hundred bucks off would be nice.. that should cover the costs to finish the box or something

I really think people are quoting old prices. All prices on amps I've seen, actually all prices I saw quote last year, the products cost more now or exactly the same amount.

I really wish I had known about this when the top of the line Crown XLS DriveCore's were 350, now I can't even get the 1500 I just about for 350 anymore. I haven't seen the EP4000 for anything less than 360 or so, and I really like the low weight of the Crown XLS.
post #70 of 70 Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
right after i asked that, i saw another link on here for walmart.com.. $298.. So thats a little better biggrin.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page