AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

chrapladm,

Everyone here realizes that while incredible output can be had from a tapped horn, the compromise is all of these have to be highpassed, IIRC, right?

If you are looking for incredible output at the expense of size and bandwidth, these tapped horns are THE ticket, bar none. Nothing else will get you that much SPL/watt. But if you are in the MKTheater, notnyt, JapanDave camp of ULF, you need to stay away from horns.

I am not discouraging anyone here, as I love lilmike's, OKWolf's, and Ricci's designs (I was privileged enough to be present for the first test of the F20!), and I use front loaded horns in my HT and living room. But anyone who is thinking of building one has to know that if you are after the 9Hz peak when The Incredible Hulk uses halves of a police car as boxing gloves, the horns are not the right tool.

JSS

Agreed! Except the DTS10's did this in room and this was not even close to their limits.

LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I get about the same, but have additional subs as well.

post #63 of 78 Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

I aim for more than 1/4 wavelength (at the lowest frequency reported) from any building/wall/obstructions.
Thanks Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

chrapladm,

Everyone here realizes that while incredible output can be had from a tapped horn, the compromise is all of these have to be highpassed, IIRC, right?

If you are looking for incredible output at the expense of size and bandwidth, these tapped horns are THE ticket, bar none. Nothing else will get you that much SPL/watt. But if you are in the MKTheater, notnyt, JapanDave camp of ULF, you need to stay away from horns.

I am not discouraging anyone here, as I love lilmike's, OKWolf's, and Ricci's designs (I was privileged enough to be present for the first test of the F20!), and I use front loaded horns in my HT and living room. But anyone who is thinking of building one has to know that if you are after the 9Hz peak when The Incredible Hulk uses halves of a police car as boxing gloves, the horns are not the right tool.

JSS

Remember for me these will be used outside. So I am more after mass spl really. At home I have a pair of sealed 21's for now. I will need a clone amp for them but I am more interested in building some horns again for outdoors. I wont be trying to go below 15hz really. But for budget I am willing to try a Micro for now.
post #64 of 78 Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I'm still planning on using my 6 x 21's along with any horn I make. Yes I can make it work, I've done it before and can easily do it again lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #65 of 78 Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Thanks Mike.
Remember for me these will be used outside. So I am more after mass spl really. At home a have a pair of sealed 21's for now. I will need a clone amp for them but I am more interested in building some horns again for outdoors. I wont be trying to go below 15hz really. But for budget I am willing to try a Micro for now.

Outdoor what? Theater? That would be pretty darned amazing.

JSS
post #66 of 78 Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Outdoor theater yes.

I cant afford to add a room to have a dedicated HT room. I love having friends over and so I figured I would just make a sort of portable outdoor theater. Mainly for fun but will try and get others, friends and at some point the community involved so others can enjoy it also. Either way horns are the go for me.
post #67 of 78 Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Outdoor theater yes.

I cant afford to add a room to have a dedicated HT room. I love having friends over and so I figured I would just make a sort of portable outdoor theater. Mainly for fun but will try and get others, friends and at some point the community involved so others can enjoy it also. Either way horns are the go for me.

that sounds cool! I used to have a friend who had a outdoor theater. we were in the middle of nowhere so he had a bunch of DJ stuff and a huge old drive in projector his dad bought, it was always great fun!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #68 of 78 Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

That's the key phrase, "middle of nowhere".
I would love to do that, but I am not so sure the neighbors would be as enthusiastic as I would be.

That would be awesome to have a a couple bad ass horns and large screen.

post #69 of 78 Old 02-22-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

16ft screen big field behind a school most of the times and biggish horns. Should be fun. Not fully happening yet but slowly getting there. These subs are the hardest thing to work out.
post #70 of 78 Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Glad that sub word was plural....that will be the hardest part in an open field...What are you planning for mains/surrounds?

JSS
post #71 of 78 Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

So far just going to be building DR200's for all speakers. But may build 250's for the front. Figured I could use the subs as stands. SO I need 7 right....lol. I was thinking four subs and no more no matter what I build. Still have other things to purchase.
post #72 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21

So, this is the view from the back of my room that is my living room that houses my home theater. This room measures 12 feet wide by 30 feet long by 8 feet high. While I'd love to pressure this room, it isn't sealed. To the right of the picture, it opens to a kitchen area (the kitchen area is 15X12). I'm talking about subs only right now. I've got 3 Klipsch La Scalas across the front, so for now, I feel good there. I currently have a single 18" sealed Dayton and it's good, but I'm lookin for more. I'm in the same boat as this thread (with a little more)...do I throw in a Gjallarhorn or Lilwrecker or just throw lots of sealed 18s and go for IPR 7500 or a clone? My goal is to be as flat to 10 hz as possible for Home Theater. Music is not an issue. Any thoughts or issues are welcome. Just wanna pick the brains of the audiophile geniuses here. smile.gif

Klipsch La Scalas with original AA crossovers - L/R
Klipsch La Scala split with AL-3 crossover - Center
Sony SSF - 5000 - surrounds
Dayton DIY sealed 18" sub and full sized Marty powered by EP 4000 bridged
Sony 55" 240 LED TV
post #73 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeskizzle View Post

So, this is the view from the back of my room that is my living room that houses my home theater. This room measures 12 feet wide by 30 feet long by 8 feet high. While I'd love to pressure this room, it isn't sealed. To the right of the picture, it opens to a kitchen area (the kitchen area is 15X12). I'm talking about subs only right now. I've got 3 Klipsch La Scalas across the front, so for now, I feel good there. I currently have a single 18" sealed Dayton and it's good, but I'm lookin for more. I'm in the same boat as this thread (with a little more)...do I throw in a Gjallarhorn or Lilwrecker or just throw lots of sealed 18s and go for IPR 7500 or a clone? My goal is to be as flat to 10 hz as possible for Home Theater. Music is not an issue. Any thoughts or issues are welcome. Just wanna pick the brains of the audiophile geniuses here. smile.gif

If your wanting 10hz then you probably better just add more sealed subs. Both horns have tremendous output but will start to roll off before 10 hz.
post #74 of 78 Old 01-30-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

10hz..... sealed. At least four 18's. If you have a huge amount of space and would be happy with 15hz then the LW.. If you have even more floor space the Ghorn. Cheapest option being the LW. Ghorn uses an expensive driver but for most on this forum that doesnt mean anything. So depending on how much floor space you have and budget those are my suggestions.
post #75 of 78 Old 01-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeskizzle View Post

Where in the world would you put a gjallarhorn in that room? They are quite massive!
post #76 of 78 Old 01-30-2014, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Behind the couch up against the wall underneath where the Clemson Tigers stuff is hanging. I have no WAF to consider (long story).

Klipsch La Scalas with original AA crossovers - L/R
Klipsch La Scala split with AL-3 crossover - Center
Sony SSF - 5000 - surrounds
Dayton DIY sealed 18" sub and full sized Marty powered by EP 4000 bridged
Sony 55" 240 LED TV
post #77 of 78 Old 01-30-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Stack two LOWARHORNS beside the fireplace!

post #78 of 78 Old 07-02-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by ozziedog 

So I have been waiting for the UXL18 to come back into stock and I was going to build a small sealed box for it until we move and then I was going to build a GJALLARHORN with it, but I have been wondering how the Littlewrecker would compare to it? It seems the both dig pretty deep for a horn, but the Littlewrecker takes up less floor space and can be built for cheaper.

I am curious on everyone's thoughts as how these two compare and what are the pros and cons of both of them.

Thanks

In a nutshell? In actual use, from 0 dB to 120 dB, with a typical music or movie playback, they are essentially equal. The LilWrecker goes a bit deeper, the Gjallarhorn gets a lot louder.

In my measurements, the LilWrecker measured -3 dB at ~15 Hz and -10 at at 13 Hz.

According to the data at Data-bass, the Gjallarhorn measured -3 dB at 21 and -10 at 15 Hz.

The LilWrecker is larger than the Gjallarhorn, and uses a much less expensive driver.

So - you wanna get louder than 120 dB? Well, the LilWrecker would make smoke and bad noises if you tried to go for more, the Gjallarhorn would keep cranking for nearly 10 more dBs.

Distortion? Well, the LMS-U is a FAR better driver than the CVX..... it is really not even a contest.

How about dollar for dollar? If you could build more of the cheaper one and labor wasn't a big concern does this change things at all from a value perspective ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page