Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 127 Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Mike,

Thank you for your thoughtful contribution! I will certainly be looking deeper into this per your direction. If it is convenient for you, could you please point me to the comments made by DJK? I have the utmost respect for him and would like to read what he had to say on the topic. And I will see what I can do to generate some impedance plots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Here's a link to a bunch of different threads from the Klipsch forum:
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/76770/757339.aspx#757339

It turns out the comments I remembered were in fact from someone named Pete:
Quote:
My buddy Thermio and I both scratch built a set of LS bass cabs and he did the djk mod to them. He took measurements on one cabinet as the mods progressed. Here is the data:

200 160 125 100 80 63 50 40 31 25 20 HZ

77 80 79 73 72 78 68 60 61 52 51 dB Stock, mouth braced
76 78 78 73 69 75 65 60 66 56 52 4.5 cuft, no ports
76 78 77 75 74 80 70 60 68 54 54 Two 4"dia 10" ports
76 79 78 76 75 80 71 60 68 54 53 Ports cut to 7"

The interesting thing with 10" ports is the boxes went deep, but the snappy, fast horn
sound was lost! Cutting the port length to 7" brought the snap and speed back to same
as stock, plus the lows remained, esp. at the 31Hz box tuning point. This data is with
K33E driver and light stuffing. We think a K43E in this box would be superb, but haven't tried it yet.

I'm going to try the mods using two 4" ports with both ends flaired (Thermio used 4" PVC). Flaring
is supposed to reduce distortion and possibly increase the gain. Parts Express sells the kits.

Neither of us is going back to stock.

Pete
That was from this thread:
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/65188/638314.aspx#638314

Lots more discussion in all the links mentioned in those threads.

-Mike Bentz
~It's all about compromise~
post #123 of 127 Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Mike,

In my efforts to track down DJK I found a new thread where he is adapting a La Scala cabinet to accept four 8 inch drivers on a PPSL manifold (Push Pull Slot Loaded).

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/172362.aspx

It looks interesting! I also sent him an email inviting him to join in here.
post #124 of 127 Old 03-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I do like that Push-Pull cancels mechanical inertia, but the distortion cancellation is only for the even harmonics. I would argue that the relative spectra of distortion is just as important (if not more important) than the total energy of the distortion....and cancelling out even harmonics shifts the timbre in the direction of cold/harsh sounding - but maybe some would perceive that as more clean? In all actuality, the distortion reduction really isn't fixing the non-linear motion of the drivers - so all of your IMD products should be very similar. There is also the issue of the basket ringing having one less attenuating surface.

All that to say, I prefer the simplicity of just firing the mouths at each other and taking advantage of the mechanical inertia cancellation.

I'd love to hear DJK's take on that though - I believe he was the one talking about it knocking out only the evens (which is related to the forward motion of the driver being different from the rearward motion).

-Mike Bentz
~It's all about compromise~
post #125 of 127 Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just a Quick Update ...

I had the privilege of chatting with Dennis Kleitsch (alias DJK) on the phone this last weekend. What an interesting fellow he is! We chatted at length about his La Scala porting exploits. He didn't find fault with any of my findings but agreed that the 'groundplane measurement technique' as recommended by Mike Bentz was a good idea. I will do that as soon as I have a free day when there isn't a breeze blowing. This is the only time of the year when Bakersfield, California is a windy place!
post #126 of 127 Old 03-27-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post

Just a Quick Update ...

I had the privilege of chatting with Dennis Kleitsch (alias DJK) on the phone this last weekend. What an interesting fellow he is! We chatted at length about his La Scala porting exploits. He didn't find fault with any of my findings but agreed that the 'groundplane measurement technique' as recommended by Mike Bentz was a good idea. I will do that as soon as I have a free day when there isn't a breeze blowing. This is the only time of the year when Bakersfield, California is a windy place!

Hey Carl, I am just curious, (and too lazy to go back and look at the first post, lol), what woofer are you using in the La Scala bass bin? The Klipsch K-33, perhaps? Did you think about using that CW1526cw from Bob Crites? I was under the understanding that the CW1526 is better than the original K-33, and I would imagine that it would work great in this build. Can you elaborate a little bit on the woofer that you choose to use, and also, why you choose to use it over the CW1526 and/or K-33?
post #127 of 127 Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Hey Carl, I am just curious, (and too lazy to go back and look at the first post, lol), what woofer are you using in the La Scala bass bin? The Klipsch K-33, perhaps? Did you think about using that CW1526cw from Bob Crites? I was under the understanding that the CW1526 is better than the original K-33, and I would imagine that it would work great in this build. Can you elaborate a little bit on the woofer that you choose to use, and also, why you choose to use it over the CW1526 and/or K-33?

It's in the very first post.........

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page