Sub Help / Suggestion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am putting together a home theater in the only room I have available, my living room. It is 19X19 with 10ft ceilings. To complicate matters it has a 5X7 opening to the kitchen / dining area, a 5X7 opening to the foyer, and a louvered door leading to the hallway.

My goal is to have a powerful low end for movies and may be used 10-15% of the time for music. My receiver is an Onkyo 805, and my LCR setup are some discontinued Klipsch SLX wall mounted speakers. (I would like to eventually replace these) and for rear surround I will be installing some ceiling speakers to keep the wife happy.

I have an entire corner I can use for the sub, and was thinking about a sonotube model. My brief experiments with sonosub an winisd were using a 15" Dayton Titanic III in a 10 ft3 18" sonotube tuned to 18Hz. Total hight was around 7' tall. However, I am open to any suggestions. I would like to keep the driver cost under $400 or so. For an amp I had planned to use an EP2000.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide in selecting a driver and an enclosure.

Here is my layout, the green box is the TV, the orange box is the couch, and the brown is a normally closed louvered door.

layout.jpg 21k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layout.jpg (20.5 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Do you have a high pass filter? You're going to need one for a large high powered ported sub. I think the new Ultimax 15 should be a better performer then the Titanic, it looks pretty good in 10 ft3 tuned to 16hz.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
are you familiar with modes/cancellations and placement?

it can be difficult to predict where in a room such as yours bass will sound good or not so good.

a couple drivers that are fairly popular right now are the 18" driver by dayton the rss460ho from parts express and the stereo integrity ht18 available from stereo integrity. both have been measured by ricci and results posted at data-bass.com.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-22-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

"are you familiar with modes/cancellations and placement?"

I am not.

"a couple drivers that are fairly popular right now are the 18" driver by dayton the rss460ho from parts express and the stereo integrity ht18 available from stereo integrity. both have been measured by ricci and results posted at data-bass.com."

The HT18 will not be available for 4 months according to their website. Has anyone built/tested a ported enclosure for the RSS460HO?
post #5 of 9 Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf

essentially, sound waves create points in the room where they constructively and destructively interfere with each other. this creates peaks and dips in the frequency response. locating the sub at different locations creates a different set of peaks and dips. sitting in a different location exposes you to a different set of peaks and dips. the combination of your target location for sub and seating may or may not be so good. it is difficult to know. multiple subs help with this problem.

as for the 18ho, i don't recall, but the xmax is closer to 20mm than the spec'd 13.

it models nicely in a 10 cubic footer tuned to around 17hz and driven with 1000 watts.

a protective high pass filter would be a good idea.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-22-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, then I will go with a RSS460HO. I will power it with SPA1000 which supposedly has a 18Hz high pass built-in (can anyone confirm this?).

For the enclosure:

Does the shape of the enclosure change things much? I.e. a sonotube vs. a cube vs. a rectangle?

Thanks for your help.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

the shape of the enclosure does not really matter. one thing that does matter is the size of the port. you want a nice large one so that it will not chuff during high output. an 8" diameter round or equivalently large slot port should be good.

other than that, good bracing, and no air leaks...should equal a win.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

the shape of the enclosure does not really matter..
Not acoustically, but structurally a tube is stronger pound for pound and inch for inch, with respect to wall thickness, than a flat sided enclosure.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-22-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yeah...

Listen. It's All Good.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page