Although my humble set-up is nothing compared to many of the amazing systems on the DIY forum, I figured I’d create a build-thread for everyone’s consideration.
When I first began assembling my home theater system (summer 2012), my primary goal was a budget system that performed above its cost. With all the acclaim surrounding Andrew Jones's Gen-one Pioneer speakers, I figured they would provide a good starting point. The OCD side of me demanded all speakers involved had the same size drivers and x-over points, so I chose the SP-BS41LR's for my surrounds and surround back speakers (since their drivers are identical to the SP-FS51LR towers and SP-C21LR center speaker).
I was very impressed with the performance of the bookshelf speakers, but as anyone who's owned them would attest to; they are not at all designed for wall-mounting. In particular for my room, the surround left speaker would need to be mounted at face height at the point where the hallway and living room meet. Mounting them in a way that does not interfere with the rear-port's ability to operate would require front baffles stick out 12" off the wall. Not only would this not be aesthetically pleasing, but would also present a serious obstacle to avoid every time we walked down the hall.
So, I solution was to build new boxes and transfer all of the internal components. I wanted the final product to sound as close to the originals as possible (only better suited for wall mounting). I designed the boxes to be the same internal volume with the same port length and diameter.
Although I’ve been lurking at AVS since 2009, this will be my first attempt at posting any pics, so wish me luck…
Panels cut (3/4" MDF for the front baffle, 1/2" for the rest)
Used a Jasper Jig and Jig saw to cut the holes for the drivers
Port holes cut; drivers and ports fit
PL Premium applied to bracing; sides and back of boxes previously glued and brad nailed
Prepping front baffles for gluing (roughed up attachment points, prior to wetting)
Glue applied and spread
Box clamped for 24 hours
All four boxes after initial sanding, brad holes filled
Close-up of front baffle round-over
And for the big reveal...
(After vinyl laminate applied, drivers, terminal cups, mounting bracket, and ports installed)