DIY sub under $250 possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-25-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have been looking through the threads here and I cant seem to find one that is not outdated or suitable, so I have came here for help and here goes...

I have a budget of about $200 - $250 for a subwoofer and amp. The lower the better as I am just a student with part time jobs. This excludes the building and material.

My room is about 12ft7" L x 8ft9" W x 9ft4" H in size, and I would like to use the sub to pair it with my Pioneer BS21 bookshelfs for my computer!

My main use will be about 70% music and 30% Games/Movies, so it want it to sound good with music, hopefully! I listen to mostly mainstream stuff, no heavy metal, and I like to listen to classical and instrumental sometimes.

Due to space constrains I don't want something too huge probably a driver 12" or under. I have been reading around and just don't know which to pick a driver for myself. I know that ported subs are really huge and I only have a 15" x 20" x 20" LxWxH space, may be able to get a bit more space. If not it will need to be a sealed one. I have also heard of ones which has dual driver but I am not sure my budget allows, unless there is any blow out prices for drivers biggrin.gif

My dad deals with wood stuff so he has the cutting tools and also drills so not to worry as I have his help.

Hope you guys can help, Thanks! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 AM

Liked: 11
Sure, you could get an Infinity Reference 1060w for $55 off Amazon. The price went up recently on the Infinity drivers. I have seen them for even less. Then get one of the 250-300w plate amps from Parts Express for around $130. Build a ported box with the dimensions you listed above. You will need to find a plate amp with a highpass filter to prevent over-excursion of the driver. You should get decent output into the mid 20's. And you come in under $200 for parts which gives you another $50 to spend on wood, glue, screws, etc.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I agree with the Infinity rec

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-1060w-1100-watt-High-Performance/dp/B0028APNZ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361805307&sr=1-1&keywords=1060w

Build the box to your dimensions (20x20x15), stick this port in it

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=269-165

And use this amp

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=301-504

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the really quick reply! The price of the drivers are really good.

May I ask whether ported, compound push pull sealed or sealed will be better with this driver?

I tried to use Winisd to plot but there was a big problem. When I use the values provided by the spec sheet from infinity site
http://us.infinitysystems.com/tl_files/catalog//Infinity/Infinity-Car/Specsheets/Reference/Reference/1060w/REF1060W_PI_EN.pdf

WinISD gave me a Vas calculation of 3.1......E9 cm^3. correcting it on WinISD result in error upon save.

Any help appriciated. Thanks
post #5 of 15 Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
1060w? why not a 1260w for couple bucks more
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18916_Infinity-Reference-1260W.html?SearchClickout%5Bquery_id%5D=16919203&SearchClickout%5BIgnore%5D=1

Can save on the yung brand plate amps if read this thread. Know how to defeat the boost could save by buying a boost model and defeating it.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1410846/yung-plate-amp-initial-impressions/90

Amps from PE
http://www.parts-express.com/term/yung?srch=yung

search for dual opposed infinity 1260 / 1262 threads in the sub forum

enjoy!

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #6 of 15 Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
He would need a bigger box to fit a bigger port to avoid chuffing with the 12. The box I spec'd accounts for the yung 30hz filter to avoid chuffing while giving solid 25hz output.

Now if he wants to go DO sealed thats another option.

post #7 of 15 Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM

The problem with DO is that it adds $55 to the total cost of his already tight budget. I think he gets more bang for the buck by going vented. A dual opposed configuration does offer some advantages though. You will get lower cabinet vibrations, and lower group delay which in theory should make the bass sound tighter. It comes at the expense of needing more power to achieve maximum output, more power costs more money, and you won't get as much output in the lower frequencies as you do with the vented design.

If you do go DO, then get the 1062w model instead of the 1060w. That way you can wire those to a 4ohm load. With the 1060w's, you would be at 2ohm or 8ohm. 2 ohm will be too low for a plate amp, and 8ohm provides less power.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwj5 View Post

Thanks guys for the really quick reply! The price of the drivers are really good.

May I ask whether ported, compound push pull sealed or sealed will be better with this driver?

I tried to use Winisd to plot but there was a big problem. When I use the values provided by the spec sheet from infinity site
http://us.infinitysystems.com/tl_files/catalog//Infinity/Infinity-Car/Specsheets/Reference/Reference/1060w/REF1060W_PI_EN.pdf

WinISD gave me a Vas calculation of 3.1......E9 cm^3. correcting it on WinISD result in error upon save.

Any help appriciated. Thanks

I attached my winisd files for you to use. Also make sure you are using WinISD Pro ver 0.7. That is the latest version and will work best with Windows 7 or later.

Infinity drivers.zip 2k .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Infinity drivers.zip (2.5 KB, 19 views)
post #9 of 15 Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM

Liked: 17
WOW out of stock on the 1260w i knew i should have got 4 instead of 2. I hope they get them back in stock. also the price is higher now?
post #10 of 15 Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULLY12 View Post

WOW out of stock on the 1260w i knew i should have got 4 instead of 2. I hope they get them back in stock. also the price is higher now?

The status said "more on the way" when they were down to 1 left in stock, so I assume they will be getting more. I also suspect the price will come down after they get more stock. Maybe not right away, but Amazon's pricing is usually pretty dynamic as competitors increase and decrease their prices. Even if it doesn't, their listed price of $59.99 still makes it one of the best bargain drivers available.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

I have plotted the different types into WinISD, here it is

Transfer function(Top) & Excursion (Bottom)

Green - 1060w
Blue - 1260w
Red - 1060w modified

It's for a 200W amp

For 1060w, if i put it into a enclosure of 20x20x15 there will be a hump at 30hz anybody can help explain that to me? It doesnt happen with smaller enclosures. I have also added filters for both high and low pass.

1060w modified looks good imo, and it's only 45-50L and tuning freq of 24hz . What do you guys think?
WinISD tells me I need a vent length of 16"... now how am I going to achieve that? Long sub?

1260w ported is out... Too big
1060w modified looks good...

let me see after I plot the dual opposed. And I will make a decision

Heres the project file, if anyone wants to help me verify them.
1060w Modified.zip 1k .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1060w Modified.zip (1.1 KB, 5 views)
post #12 of 15 Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwj5 View Post

1060w modified looks good imo, and it's only 45-50L and tuning freq of 24hz . What do you guys think?
WinISD tells me I need a vent length of 16"... now how am I going to achieve that? Long sub?

You would have to change your box dimensions and use this port tube http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=268-350, or you can build the port with an elbow in it and use the following pieces:

2 x http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=268-372
1 x http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=268-369
1 x http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=268-368
1 x http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=268-328

You can also save some money and buy PVC pipe. Some people will use a router to round over the hole on the outside of the box to create a flare, and glue PVC pipe to it. I have also seen people take plastic tube, heat it up, and press it over a hard sphere such as a metal bowl to force the plastic to bend into a more rounded shaped end. If you don't want to do either of those, I am pretty sure you can buy just the flares and attach PVC to it. I am not 100% sure that the ID of the PVC will match up perfectly with the flares. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. I know you are on a tight budget, and all those port pieces add up so I thought I would mention it. Another option would be to use a slot port instead of a round port. A slot port would probably cost you nothing, since you would likely have enough material left over from a sheet of MDF to build the slot port. If you want to compare the two in winisd, just click the circle in the vent section of your design and it will change to a square. Enter the internal dimensions of your slot.

Also make sure you are factoring in your box volume correctly. You can use this site http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/enclosure-volume-calculator/#axzz2Kd0ZRoOV to calculate your box volume. You can probably subtract 0.25 cubic feet for the driver and amp. The site has calculators for determining bracing volume and port volume.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-26-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thought about it and I will just get the Infinity 1060w then. And for the amp I think I should go ahead with the Yung 300W boost and modify it. Hope I dont fry my driver!

I will use the port kit from PE and save myself the hassle, and I didn't know I could use a bent port. Just want to check if I should use a 45Degree elbow or is 90Deg fine?

There is really a site for everything! That should save me some time. Once I get my drivers and amp and start working on it I will update this post.

Great! Thanks guys for the tip and help. Much appreciated.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-15-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 661
and...

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #15 of 15 Old 04-15-2014, 05:25 AM

Liked: 24
I woulda just bought a bic f12 for 190 bucks, saved the hassle and called it a day.. :-)

Power - Denon AVR-E300
L/R
- JBL Studio 530
Center - JBL Studio 520C
Surrounds - JBL ES20
Sub - SVS PB-2000
Display - Samsung UN65H6350
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page