Hidden subwoofer (IB/Array or similar) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a new house that im trying to touch up.

I am currently working on the secondary living room, where I spend most of my time. This is where my multimedia room is.

This is a rough "estimate" of how the room is:

- 1-3 = possible locations for multiple subwoofers, IB/array style.
- The red lines are doors, with entrance to other rooms. (Except that long red line which is in the attic).

If you look at position 3, it would be possible for me to have an array with 4 x 15", maybe 4 x 18".

It would be right next to the door as seen here:

(Ignore the current setup, new TV and refurnish of the midbasses is in the works!)

Then we have position 1-2, and it can be seen here:

(This is position 1)

4 woofers IB-style just above the LP would be nice, I think. But im not sure how much volume the woofers would need, for an IB to work there. Another plus, is that it would basically be "hidden". If I were to cut a hole, I could hide it with a white grille of some sort. Im not sure if the roof can handle all the bass though.. hehe smile.gif

Truth be told, I haven't done much research yet, that's why im making this thread, so people can give me advice on what to do. Pinpoint me in the right direction :-)

When it comes to amplifiers etc, I got my precious DCX2496, and I will power the 4 woofers with a Crown CE4000 (2 x 1200watt).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Anything more than 4 cubes would be an improvement over most sealed boxes. So you'd already be winning. The more the better.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 PM

Liked: 31
https://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/ is a good reference faq

Some of the guys on the IB cult suggest minimum of 12 liters Vd worth of sub displacement minimum. Next is enough Vas of air space behind them which is suggested to be 4-10 times.

So playing with those numbers here's what can look at. Say 2 18" Fi IB3 drivers minimum.
Vd = 2(xmax)x Sd
Vd = 2(3cm)x 1210
7.26 liters x 2 drivers

14.52 liters displacement = over 12 so good to go

It's recommended to have minimum of air space of 4x Vas. So 381x2driversx4 is 3048 liters or 107cu ft of crawl space/ attic space minimum. Suggested is up to 269cu ft.

If you could I'd just go overkill with minimum of 4x Fi IB3 18s. And you can see how a single RE xxx18 is a monster choice since one sub is approx 12.8 liters displacement. And plug in the numbers and can also see it would take 5 dayton IB drivers (15"from PE) to equal just 2 Fi IB3 18s. That to me is why there are so many PE dayton IB drivers in arrays of 9-12 minimum to get the output.

Have fun and post the build and results.

note
this message was typed on a 1/4 cup of coffee this morning cool.gif

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #4 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Try to stay away from a line array if you go IB, unless you can really stiffen up the baffle for it.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I've had infinite baffle, and I currently have a lil mike f-20.

I'm installing 2 lil wreckers in my attic with the vent opening into my space.

Something to think about, you have the room....
post #6 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbo View Post

I've had infinite baffle, and I currently have a lil mike f-20.

I'm installing 2 lil wreckers in my attic with the vent opening into my space.

Something to think about, you have the room....

Now this is a new option I got. The only problem I see with this, is if I were to fit it in the attic, it will have to be build in that tiny space, which can be hard. But then again, I could place it in another room, and cut a hole into my media room for the vent opening.

I think I will skip the array idea, for now.

Thanks for all the other tips / pinpointers so far! Seems I gotta make some choices smile.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Excellent space for an IB.

I'm running an IB on a "knee wall" just like that in my theater as a filler sub. Its on a baffle and to echo what others have said it really can transmit some serious energy to the structure if I turn it up.

The dual opposed manifold is superior for this type of installation IMO, I would have done one but the driver I used is NLA.

Another driver choice iStereo Integrity HT 18 HT 18 which is on group buy status right now for a steal......

Also, consider placement of the sub. If you have a conventional sub available move it around the room and see which position measures best before cutting a hole. Since the hole can be covered with a screen and be pretty much invisible you theoretically could place anywhere along that wall. Sub placement determines 99% of its performance.

EDIT: I also prefer position 3 for your subs. Good ways from corner and In front of listening position, good place for it IMO.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page