No sound from Inuke3000dsp. Help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So I've got my box built and the sub wired for 4 ohms.
I've had the Inuke3000 for a couple months but finally got a chance to open it.

It doesn't look DOA or anything but when I wire a speakon to the subwoofer I get NOTHING.

My AVR is a Pio VSX-1018 and I'm using an RCA > XLR from the reciever to channel A input of the amp.

The speakon connector is wired for, +1 red +2 black and the amp is in bridge mode.

No matter what I do I can't get anything. Subwoofer is set to PLUS and crossover is set at 80hz.
It's still looking like I'm not getting a signal at all.

I even connected a speakon directly to the amp and then to my tc-3000's voice coils to see if I messed up the wiring in the other subwoofer box, but still nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Why are you wiring your speakon connectors like that?

I believe it should be hooked up to 1+ and 1- into your amp.

I accidentally screwed up one of my speakon connectors and got no sound. Worked once I fixed it.
If that doesn't work it's time to get out a multimeter for continuity tests.
post #3 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

Why are you wiring your speakon connectors like that?

I believe it should be hooked up to 1+ and 1- into your amp.

I accidentally screwed up one of my speakon connectors and got no sound. Worked once I fixed it.
If that doesn't work it's time to get out a multimeter for continuity tests.

I was under the impression to use bridge mode on the Inuke you have to wire the cable +1 and +2 ?
I just tried +1 -1 on both sides of the connector and still got nothing.
post #4 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsnasty View Post

I was under the impression to use bridge mode on the Inuke you have to wire the cable +1 and +2 ?
I just tried +1 -1 on both sides of the connector and still got nothing.

Try it in mono or stereo next.
post #5 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Try it in mono or stereo next.

Tried all amp modes with all connector types, still nothing.
Going to try one straight to the tc3k to see if i get anything again.
post #6 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Tried all amp modes with all connector types, still nothing.
Going to try one straight to the tc3k to see if i get anything again.

I just made a speakon connector +1 -1 and plugged in in the channel A output.
I then used the other end without a speakon connector and wired the TC3k red to red and black to black (with the other voice coils together for 4 ohms)
I still get NOTHING, with any amp mode, bridge, stereo, dual.

I'm starting to think the amp is DOA, shouldn't it work no matter what set up like this?
post #7 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

So, when you are playing some music for your test, are your level lights blinking? You should get at least 1 or 2 out of the 4.
post #8 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So, when you are playing some music for your test, are your level lights blinking? You should get at least 1 or 2 out of the 4.

No lights at all, with either of my XLR > RCA connectors. Looks like its still not getting a signal...?
Receiver is connected to my computer via optical and everything else on the system seems to work fine.
post #9 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

My room is small, but for the curious...

post #10 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Are you sure, you have bass management on the receiver set correctly? Make sure there is content going to the LFE output of the receiver. To rule out your amp/sub plug the RCA cable to either the LF or RF outputs on the receiver. Make sure you turn the volume down. You should hear some sound come out of the sub as you turn up the volume on the receiver. It might be barely audible, but it should be there. If you can hear sound then it's a setting on your receiver or there's a problem with your LFE RCA out connector.
post #11 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

Are you sure, you have bass management on the receiver set correctly? Make sure there is content going to the LFE output of the receiver. To rule out your amp/sub plug the RCA cable to either the LF or RF outputs on the receiver. Make sure you turn the volume down. You should hear some sound come out of the sub as you turn up the volume on the receiver. It might be barely audible, but it should be there. If you can hear sound then it's a setting on your receiver or there's a problem with your LFE RCA out connector.

I'm not really sure actually but my receiver only has 1 pre-out (and one in) for a subwoofer. I ordered 3 different XLR > RCA cables from 3 different websites and none of them work, so I've ruled that out.
Receiver is set to PLUS and fronts as large, only thing I see anywhere referring to LFE volume is in the audio settings, and its set to 0db (highest).
post #12 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is the receiver in a mode that does not use the sub (e.g. "direct" mode)?

-Max
post #13 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Connect the sub to the "left" pre-out. We know that has signal. You should get signal lights blinking on inuke when you play music and turn up the volume.

-Max
post #14 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper View Post

Connect the sub to the "left" pre-out. We know that has signal. You should get signal lights blinking on inuke when you play music and turn up the volume.

-Max

Reciever is on Stereo and Neo6, either of them get nothing.
I can't get the signal lights to turn on no matter what I do, subwoofer pre-out, front pre-outs, etc....
If I have 3 different XLR > RCA cables what could it possibly be..

Broken pre-outs, broken input on the amp?
post #15 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Try the other channel on the iNuke. Maybe only one channel is bad.

Otherwise, try to setup a test where the amp is the ONLY variable (all other parts of the system are known to work via direct testing). Like maybe connect your phone or MP3 player to the iNuke if you have a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

-Max
post #16 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Try the other channel on the iNuke. Maybe only one channel is bad.

Otherwise, try to setup a test where the amp is the ONLY variable (all other parts of the system are known to work via direct testing). Like maybe connect your phone or MP3 player to the iNuke if you have a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

-Max

Tried the other channel, with all amp modes, still nothing.
What device would offer an input to a single RCA? I have a Y cable I think but thats a 3.5mm to two RCA's for left and right.
post #17 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Omg wait I got something.
I pulled out my dads old Technics receiver, wired it to optical to my computer, and then used the sub out to the amp, I can feel the TC3k moving, but I have no speakers hooked up to this reciever.
So I'm getting something. Now I dont understand why the Subwoofer out on my Pioneer isn't doing anything.

It's a VSX-1018, maybe I'm missing something that enables the subwoofer? I checked everything though..
post #18 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry about triple posting but now I'm depressed mad.gif
Now I know everything is connected correctly and the Pioneer won't output a subwoofer signal.
Really not looking forward to buying a new receiver just to use my sub frown.gif
post #19 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

have you ever used subwoofer with this AVR? you may have to run MCACC calibration again just to make sure it identifies that a sub is connected
post #20 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka View Post

you may have to run MCACC calibration again just to make sure it identifies that a sub is connected

+1

I'm a little confused. First you say you only have one pre-out that's for the sub. Then you later state you tried the front pre-outs and neither of them made any sound. So do you indeed have a front left and front right channel pre-outs? Add to the confusion is that you tried it on another receiver and it worked. If you do have front L/R pre-outs on your Pioneer and it didn't make any sound then either all your pre-outs on your Pioneer are bad or disabled. So far it sounds like it's a configuration setting on your Pioneer though. You never stated what you are listening to. If you are listening to 2CH then the sub is not getting a signal since you stated you have your speakers set to large. Not sure how Pioneer does it, but on Denon, unless you set the subs to LFE+Main, you will not get a signal out of the sub channel if you set your mains to LARGE. You will only get a signal in that configuration if you are listening to a x.1 source like movies, MC SACD, DVD-A or BD-A.
post #21 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka View Post

have you ever used subwoofer with this AVR? you may have to run MCACC calibration again just to make sure it identifies that a sub is connected

No I haven't, but you don't need MCACC to turn on the subwoofer.
I just tried it anyways, and it doesn't recognize a sub being connected (because it's not getting a signal).
Quote:

+1

I'm a little confused. First you say you only have one pre-out that's for the sub. Then you later state you tried the front pre-outs and neither of them made any sound. So do you indeed have a front left and front right channel pre-outs? Add to the confusion is that you tried it on another receiver and it worked. If you do have front L/R pre-outs on your Pioneer and it didn't make any sound then either all your pre-outs on your Pioneer are bad or disabled. So far it sounds like it's a configuration setting on your Pioneer though. You never stated what you are listening to. If you are listening to 2CH then the sub is not getting a signal since you stated you have your speakers set to large. Not sure how Pioneer does it, but on Denon, unless you set the subs to LFE+Main, you will not get a signal out of the sub channel if you set your mains to LARGE. You will only get a signal in that configuration if you are listening to a x.1 source like movies, MC SACD, DVD-A or BD-A.

I do only have one pre-out for the subwoofer, and I tried all the pre-outs for the speakers and none of them worked.
I'm listening to music on my computer, and surround processing is on so you should get an output to a subwoofer.

Pioneer uses PLUS in place of LFE+Main to get your subwoofer on all the time. I've had it on PLUS the entire time.

I don't even get signal lights with literally every single thing I've tried with the Pioneer.

I'm now 99.9% sure the sub-woofer pre-out is broken.... fword.
Do you have a recommendation on new cheap recievers....

I can find VSX-1019-1022's on ebay for pretty cheap (new versions of mine) but I honestly don't know what's good for the money anymore, and ebay might not be a good idea.
post #22 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No I haven't, but you don't need MCACC to turn on the subwoofer.
I just tried it anyways, and it doesn't recognize a sub being connected (because it's not getting a signal).
I do only have one pre-out for the subwoofer, and I tried all the pre-outs for the speakers and none of them worked.
I'm listening to music on my computer, and surround processing is on so you should get an output to a subwoofer.

Pioneer uses PLUS in place of LFE+Main to get your subwoofer on all the time. I've had it on PLUS the entire time.

I don't even get signal lights with literally every single thing I've tried with the Pioneer.

I'm now 99.9% sure the sub-woofer pre-out is broken.... fword.
Do you have a recommendation on new cheap recievers....

I can find VSX-1019-1022's on ebay for pretty cheap (new versions of mine) but I honestly don't know what's good for the money anymore, and ebay might not be a good idea.

I still can't imagine all the pre-outs are bad though, but if that's what's you concluded, I'm out of ideas.

Cheap is relative. What's your budget? I would recommend a refurbished Denon AVR-1712 ($299) or 1713 ($319) from Accessories4less.com
post #23 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I still can't imagine all the pre-outs are bad though, but if that's what's you concluded, I'm out of ideas.

Cheap is relative. What's your budget? I would recommend a refurbished Denon AVR-1712 ($299) or 1713 ($319) from Accessories4less.com

I don't really have a budget, I've got the extra cash, but I just want something to equal or better then VSX-1018 without spending a ton on it. Maybe 300 tops, you made some good suggestions.

For example ebay had the 1019 for $170 used.

I've never used a Denon, heard good things though. How are the 1712/13's?
post #24 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I never had either, but I used to have the 4310 which has the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT that these two have. It sounded very good. Unlike MCACC, Audyssey will also EQ the sub channel. The only difference between the 4310 and these two are amp power, number of speaker channels and feature sets. If either of these two fit your needs they should work well.
post #25 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 809
you need to rule some things out first. right now there are too many variables.

your tv probably has an rca pre-out that you could use to test the cable and the amp. perhaps give that a try and see what you get. if you get the amp to light up, then the cable and amp are good and we can go from there.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #26 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I never had either, but I used to have the 4310 which has the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT that these two have. It sounded very good. Unlike MCACC, Audyssey will also EQ the sub channel. The only difference between the 4310 and these two are amp power, number of speaker channels and feature sets. If either of these two fit your needs they should work well.

Thanks, I will look into them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

you need to rule some things out first. right now there are too many variables.

your tv probably has an rca pre-out that you could use to test the cable and the amp. perhaps give that a try and see what you get. if you get the amp to light up, then the cable and amp are good and we can go from there.

Sorry some of my posts were just kind of in the heat of the moment. I'll update.

I got everything working as intended with my old Technics receiver. This confirms that:

1) My speakon cables were wired correctly, they work.
2) My amp works and accepts an input in either A or B from the Technics, so the amp works.
3) Both subs are wired at 4 ohms and they both work with or without my jimmy-rigged speakon's, so the subs work.

Every single possible option I can think of on the AVR was tested, LFE volume, MCACC, pre-outs, crossover frequencies, setting to PLUS or YES on the sub out, multi channel modes, stereo modes.
Every option ended with the signal lights not being lit on the amp.
You guys already helped me a lot, but I don't think there's anything else I missed.
post #27 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

You are certain that you tried the pre OUTS, and not the multi-channel IN on the Pioneer? (I've made that mistake before, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. smile.gif)

Does it work 100% with the technics receiver? By that I mean "does it play the sub at the full, expected volume level?"

And the volume knobs are up on the inuke? I'm trying to rule out the case where the Technics appears to work merely because it has a higher output level than the pioneer.

With the phone, you could connect either of the rca plugs to the amp. I was just brainstorming for how to get a signal, any signal, connected to the inuke. A phone is a simple way to do that, and it is easy to verify with headphones.

-Max
post #28 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You are certain that you tried the pre OUTS, and not the multi-channel IN on the Pioneer? (I've made that mistake before, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. smile.gif)

Does it work 100% with the technics receiver? By that I mean "does it play the sub at the full, expected volume level?"

And the volume knobs are up on the inuke? I'm trying to rule out the case where the Technics appears to work merely because it has a higher output level than the pioneer.

With the phone, you could connect either of the rca plugs to the amp. I was just brainstorming for how to get a signal, any signal, connected to the inuke. A phone is a simple way to do that, and it is easy to verify with headphones.

-Max

I did that the first time, used the Subwoofer in from MULTI IN. I thought that was the problem originally until I changed it and still got nothing frown.gif

Yep, without even using bridge mode, the Technics played the Zv3 pretty dang loud.
With or without the volume knobs up, it won't light up the signal LED's connected to the Pioneer.
Also from what I've read, Pioneer's have more then enough voltage to drive the Inuke to full power.

I never tried with a phone because I got it working with the other reciever, but that's a good idea.

Argg.
post #29 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 11:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 809
ok good, so the cables are good and the inuke is fine.

that leaves trying to get a signal out of the receiver.

have you tried using a different source other than your computer over optical for the input?

in other words, does something like the tuner output a signal over the pre-outs to the left or right channel?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #30 of 41 Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

ok good, so the cables are good and the inuke is fine.

that leaves trying to get a signal out of the receiver.

have you tried using a different source other than your computer over optical for the input?

in other words, does something like the tuner output a signal over the pre-outs to the left or right channel?

I mean, if it doesn't work how it's setup now, then I can't see it being useful at all.
It's pretty much an HTPC.
I've been messing with it for 7 hours, I'll try that tomorrow.

I have to sleep before I rage-buy myself a new Denon-1712! biggrin.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page