Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittyfit View Post

LTD02
 -> THANKS A LOT!!!

Is there a place I can buy a ported cab for the Dayton UM 18"?

Thanks for the help!!

Smittyfit

Erich at diysound is currently working on some 18" ported cabs that he hopes to have available within a few weeks. His prototype dimensions were ballpark 30"W x 30"H x 15 or 16" deep giving the driver around 5 ft3 net of volume, tuned around 20hz. Essentially the same volume and tune as the martycube, which would also be an option to you. The martycube is priced at $200 and Erich said his new design should come in around $170.

Being that the UM-18 won't be available for at least a few more months, certainly attaining the enclosure prior out of either of these 2 options would be possible.
Smittyfit likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 04-30-2014, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 25

BrutalBodyShots ->

"Erich at diysound is currently working on some 18" ported cabs that he hopes to have available within a few weeks. His prototype dimensions were ballpark 30"W x 30"H x 15 or 16" deep giving the driver around 5 ft3 net of volume, tuned around 20hz. Essentially the same volume and tune as the martycube, which would also be an option to you. The martycube is priced at $200 and Erich said his new design should come in around $170.

Being that the UM-18 won't be available for at least a few more months, certainly attaining the enclosure prior out of either of these 2 options would be possible."

I think I will hold off until the 18" ported boxes are in stock.  

If I was to use the 18" ported box, and the 18" Ultimax Driver with dayton 1000 watt amp or inuke, what results in terms of output, sound quality, and extension should I expect?

How would this subwoofer stack up to say... The SVS SB2000, SVS Ultra SB13, SVS Ultra PB13, outlaw EX, HSU the 15" model that is popular (can't recall name and my internet is painfully slow) 

Thank you so much for ALL of your help!  I think a lot of people would appreciate this information!

Smittyfit

post #93 of 97 Old 04-30-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I think I will hold off until the 18" ported boxes are in stock.  
If I was to use the 18" ported box, and the 18" Ultimax Driver with dayton 1000 watt amp or inuke, what results in terms of output, sound quality, and extension should I expect?

While the Ultimax 18 will work great in a 4 cu ft. sealed enclosure, Dayton recommends 11.8 cu ft. ported.

Right from PE:

"Optimum Cabinet Size
Sealed Volume 4.18 ft.³
Sealed F3 32 Hz

Vented Volume 11.79 ft.³
Vented F3 16 Hz"

There are other subs that will work better in Erich's ported enclosure. I'd go sealed with this one, but, that's just me... biggrin.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Schmidt Haus Theater (Temporarily on hold - obamanomics :-)
post #94 of 97 Old 04-30-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 25

schmidtwi -> where can I find a 4 cu ft. sealed box?

11.79 ft.³ seems HUGE, what would be the dimensions of this?

I hear stuffing a 3 cu ft. box will make it the same as a 4 cu ft. box... It does not seem right to me, what are your suggestions?

post #95 of 97 Old 04-30-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

schmidtwi
 -> where can I find a 4 cu ft. sealed box?

From Erich - DIYSoundGroup

Edit - oops, not sure if the Ultimax will fit in that enclosure. May want to check with Erich.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Schmidt Haus Theater (Temporarily on hold - obamanomics :-)
post #96 of 97 Old 04-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Smitty,

I spoke to PE a while back and asked what the absolute smallest ported cab they would suggest putting the UM-18 in and they told me 7-8 ft3. The "ideal" enclosure may be 11 ft3 but 7-8 ft3 would suffice at the expense of a few db, but still have significantly more output than if it were put in a sealed cab.

PE said they will stock a 4 ft3 sealed flat pack specifically for the UM-18 once it's released, and they will probably sell it and the driver in a combo pack for a discount like they do with some of the other Dayton drivers. I'm not sure if the flat pack for the UM-18 will be exactly the same as the one for the currently available HO with just a different baffle cut or what, but that will be an option available to you should you decided on the sealed UM-18.

You'd probably be better off going with Erich's ported cabs with 5 ft3 net available to the driver and go with a different 18" driver. Going with the Dayton HO (one option) would cost you almost exactly the same amount of money (the savings on the slightly cheaper driver go toward the slightly more expensive flat pack) and with the ported cab you'll have probably 6db more output.

In terms of comparing these options to some of the SVS line, that's a bit tough to do. I'd venture to guess that the UM-18 in a sealed cab would easily best the SB2000, probably slightly beat the SB-Ultra but not the PB-Ultra. If you went with Erich's vented option I think you'd be on par or maybe even edge out the PB-Ultra, and that's with spending what $600-$700 vs $2k? Seems worth it to me if you have the time for a little DIY.
post #97 of 97 Old 05-05-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 243
The 6 cu ft box that i just made with a fair amount of owens corning 703 inside (about 1/4 full) did workout nice with the two 15" dayton ultimax.

I'm not sure if more or less stuffing would have been better ... Since i am clueless about those calculations... But everything measures great at the SPL that i listen at.

Blazar!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page