Itching to upgrade (revamped - again skip to post 6) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have gotten the itch to upgrade recently and am not sure which direction to take. I currently have 2 32" wide THTs in a room that is 11x31x7. It is plenty loud, but the extension is not as low as I would like. I have two RSS460HO-4 sitting in boxes waiting for some box building love, but can't decide what to build. My considerations are, 2 sealed in one box (leaving the possibility of adding the same later). 2 ported in separate boxes. I am open to other suggestions...I have no size limit (within reason) as I have a AT screen and about 3 feet of depth to work with. I could also take the 15" DVCs from the THTs and build 1 or 2 more subs, though they will not play as low as the 18s. More drivers in the future is a definite possibility, but I want to see what I can do with what I have first.

Thanks,
Bricktop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Are you EQing your THT's so they're flat to 20hz?
post #3 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, I have a FBD and got them flat to 20, but I don't see much under that. My room is not blessed with good low end gain. If I try to eq them any lower, I will lose a great deal of their efficiency up high.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
An LLT is going to get you the most bang for your buck with only 2 drivers. You still wont be able to keep up with the THTs higher up.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Change of plans. I'm either going to do an IB with 4 Fi IB18s or 4 sealed with 4 SI 18s. I could even do 4 SI18s in an IB, with the backup of putting them in sealed boxes if the IB does not work out.

I do have questions about the IB for those who have one. My theater is 11x31x7 with a screen wall 32" from the end and a perf screen. I would set up the manifold to be an "outie" that projects into the theater, behind the perf screen, and use a room adjacent to the theater as the "chamber". How much isolation of the backwave is necessary to be a "good" IB? The rooms are separated by normal stud and drywall construction with an opening for a door (for which there is currently none). I would frame in a nice heavy door if I went this route. The other concern is the ceiling. It is drop in both rooms and that leaves a 6" to 8" gap above the wall separating the rooms above the drop ceiling. Sealing that up would not be a problem either. Just seems like a simple stud wall with drywall finish would not be enough to "stop" the backwave.

Any insight?

Thanks,
Bricktop
post #6 of 7 Old 04-23-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Final decision...for now. I ordered 4 FTW-21s. Planning on IB, but have quite a few options for placement. Perhaps a little feedback to guide me in the right direction. As for processing, I have a FBD, and a receiver with XT32, and if I need it, I could pick up a mini DSP, but see no reason too yet.

I am planning on two manifolds. My first thought is both at the front of the room behind the screen with my mains. As of right now, to do this I would have to build a wall behind my AT screen to separate the back-wave of the manifolds. I would also build my mains into this wall...not too big a deal as I would just design them without baffle step.

My other idea is to have one manifold on the front left corner as an "outie" manifold into the theater with the manifold venting into the gym. The second would be in the back of the theater, venting into the theater as an "innie" manifold. This is a far easier build as far as construction goes, but I have never had subs behind the listener and the second row of seating would be considerably closer to the rear subs, though having them at the back would be more for better sound distribution. The room is 11 by 31 if that helps.

Thanks,
Bricktop
post #7 of 7 Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 304
One or two CV-5000 amps should work good.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page