First build - Octo SI 18's with flat packs. - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 876 Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,962
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Ok, gotcha - thanks I'll try it.
carp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 876 Old 04-21-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,599
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Sheldon,

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1528330/whos-going-to-be-the-first-to-do-a-16-infinity-budget-driver-subwoofer-build

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Archaea is online now  
post #813 of 876 Old 04-21-2014, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,962
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Can this velvet be purchased at a Joanne fabrics type place or did you order it online?

I have been using black felt, but it is somewhat reflective.


Here you go:

JoAnn part # 400073475376

14.99 per yard, but you can print off 50% off coupons almost every day so it's a good deal IMO.
carp is offline  
post #814 of 876 Old 04-21-2014, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,962
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 419


Ha, just when I have decided to go stealth and hide all the drivers! biggrin.gif
carp is offline  
post #815 of 876 Old 04-22-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Hey carp... My boss goes to a few cheifs games every year. Jamaal Charles came into town and he got his pictures autographed by him. The one picture with JC jumping into the stands is actually my boss on the left gripping his hand. He got that picture from the chiefs website. Pretty cool that he was able to get it autographed. Just thought that I would share.


MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Pain Infliction is online now  
post #816 of 876 Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,962
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Very cool - I'm a big fan of Charles and had a feeling we were screwed when he went out with a concussion even though we went on to put up a huge lead against the Colts.
carp is offline  
post #817 of 876 Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Hey Carp, I hope I'm not interrupting daydreaming of 6ft tall JTR speakers biggrin.gif

I am gonna be building my Volt surrounds soon and saw a technique of using a ratchet tie down strap to glue multiple sides at a time. Just curious what you might think of that. I am certainly mechanically inclined but haven't done any DIY speakers or subs yet. Also how long does the wood glue take? I have a bottle of Gorilla wood glue. Did you use any brad nailers or such on your flat packs?
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #818 of 876 Old 05-01-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Hey Carp, I hope I'm not interrupting daydreaming of 6ft tall JTR speakers biggrin.gif

I am gonna be building my Volt surrounds soon and saw a technique of using a ratchet tie down strap to glue multiple sides at a time. Just curious what you might think of that. I am certainly mechanically inclined but haven't done any DIY speakers or subs yet. Also how long does the wood glue take? I have a bottle of Gorilla wood glue. Did you use any brad nailers or such on your flat packs?

I don't know about gorilla glue, but pl premium takes a couple of hours until you can take the clamps off and about 24 hours to cure all the way. PL Premium is the sheez neez IMO. Brad nails is not a bad idea. You could do that if you wanted to with the gorilla glue.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Pain Infliction is online now  
post #819 of 876 Old 05-01-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sibuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,764
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 175
acording to the manuf Gorilla Wood Glue only requires a 30 min clamp time - Id use 1 hour to be safe

I normally use Titebond 3 wood glue and it has a similar clamp time, letting it sit for ~1 hour has always worked for me, I always clamp PL for at least 4 hours before i remove them
Sibuna is online now  
post #820 of 876 Old 05-01-2014, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,962
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Hey Carp, I hope I'm not interrupting daydreaming of 6ft tall JTR speakers biggrin.gif

I am gonna be building my Volt surrounds soon and saw a technique of using a ratchet tie down strap to glue multiple sides at a time. Just curious what you might think of that. I am certainly mechanically inclined but haven't done any DIY speakers or subs yet. Also how long does the wood glue take? I have a bottle of Gorilla wood glue. Did you use any brad nailers or such on your flat packs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post



I don't know about gorilla glue, but pl premium takes a couple of hours until you can take the clamps off and about 24 hours to cure all the way. PL Premium is the sheez neez IMO. Brad nails is not a bad idea. You could do that if you wanted to with the gorilla glue.


I used avs member and friend Mrsmithers brad nailer and it made the job so much easier. All you have to so is smear on wood glue and then just clamp long enough to use the nailer then remove the clamp and move on. With duratex I don't see brad nail holes so it doesn't hurt anything.

I did use pl premium too which might have been overkill but I wanted to play it safe with sealed subs. I'm not sure you need it with speakers.

What are these volts? My eD cinema 6" surrounds are a weak spot in my HT.
carp is offline  
post #821 of 876 Old 05-01-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sibuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,764
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 175
The Volts are the 8" and 10" coaxials that you can get from the DIY Sound Group, I had a pair of them at andrews G2G (8")
Sibuna is online now  
post #822 of 876 Old 05-01-2014, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,962
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

The Volts are the 8" and 10" coaxials that you can get from the DIS Sound Group, I had a pair of them at andrews G2G (8")


Ahhh that's what those were called - I liked them!

I like Beasts better but I assume his are more expensive?
carp is offline  
post #823 of 876 Old 05-01-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sibuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,764
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

The Volts are the 8" and 10" coaxials that you can get from the DIS Sound Group, I had a pair of them at andrews G2G (8")


Ahhh that's what those were called - I liked them!

I like Beasts better but I assume his are more expensive?

yes the Beyma driver for those is ~350, im pretty sure its the BEYMA 8CX300Nd/N

if you get the full flatpack you can almost build 2 of the Volts for the cost of the driver

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial-speaker-kits.html

Matt made a resistor swap on the xover which brought the high end up a bit, so they are closer to beasts and the JTR S8s now, I made the swap, could just EQ it in as well.

I use them for mains on my computer
Sibuna is online now  
post #824 of 876 Old 05-01-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

yes the Beyma driver for those is ~350, im pretty sure its the BEYMA 8CX300Nd/N

if you get the full flatpack you can almost build 2 of the Volts for the cost of the driver

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial-speaker-kits.html

Matt made a resistor swap on the xover which brought the high end up a bit, so they are closer to beasts and the JTR S8s now, I made the swap, could just EQ it in as well.

I use them for mains on my computer

I use the volt-8's with my 228's and 4 Triax's. They keep up wonderfully. Will be getting more. They where the best sounding speaker I have had in my room other than the 228's. I used them as mains while waiting for my 228's.

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
raynist is offline  
post #825 of 876 Old 05-01-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,599
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Brought the highs up?
All three of those speakers sounded a little brighter than I most prefer. I was thinking a little eq could be used to tame them at the time. All three of those speakers sounded more alike than different. The volt was the least bright and least sensitive, but by no means was bad. I liked it.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Archaea is online now  
post #826 of 876 Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sibuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,764
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 175
It only brought it up a cpl dbs you would prob still like it. Might not even be super noticeable for surround use.

Running them as mains with my ears I like it more this way. But you could just eq it to whatever you wanted as well
Sibuna is online now  
post #827 of 876 Old 05-01-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post


I used avs member and friend Mrsmithers brad nailer and it made the job so much easier. All you have to so is smear on wood glue and then just clamp long enough to use the nailer then remove the clamp and move on. With duratex I don't see brad nail holes so it doesn't hurt anything.

I did use pl premium too which might have been overkill but I wanted to play it safe with sealed subs. I'm not sure you need it with speakers.

What are these volts? My eD cinema 6" surrounds are a weak spot in my HT.

ah cancel...
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #828 of 876 Old 05-26-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,962
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 419
I'm putting up 2 of my 212's for sale since I can't resist the urge to buy 215's.


http://www.avsforum.com/t/1533307/2-jtr-212s#post_24760584


If they don't sell then it's more Crowsons and possibly some HT seating.... maybe surround upgrades too.
carp is offline  
post #829 of 876 Old 05-26-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 15,951
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 851
or just grab another amp and diy a pair of p.a. 18's for the midbass.

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #830 of 876 Old 05-26-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 15,951
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 851
are those seaton spec lab 15's?

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #831 of 876 Old 05-26-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I'm putting up 2 of my 212's for sale since I can't resist the urge to buy 215's.


http://www.avsforum.com/t/1533307/2-jtr-212s#post_24760584


If they don't sell then it's more Crowsons and possibly some HT seating.... maybe surround upgrades too.

It was just a matter of time...the 215's seem to be awesome but I haven't heard them. Someday when I move out of townhouses I may give them a serious look. Full range is my goal as I primarily listening to two channel music.

Perhaps next time I am in KC I can drop by again. Last visit was very cool.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

NWCgrad is offline  
post #832 of 876 Old 05-26-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

It was just a matter of time...the 215's seem to be awesome but I haven't heard them. Someday when I move out of townhouses I may give them a serious look. Full range is my goal as I primarily listening to two channel music.

Perhaps next time I am in KC I can drop by again. Last visit was very cool.

Seems to be the cheapest way of actually getting a true full range speaker with great imaging.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Pain Infliction is online now  
post #833 of 876 Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,962
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

or just grab another amp and diy a pair of p.a. 18's for the midbass.


I thought about that but there is something about a truly full range speaker that is drawing me in. I know I don't need it... I have basically admitted to myself that even if there are no audio benifits it's still worth it to me for the looks alone! redface.gifsmile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

are those seaton spec lab 15's?

I don't know, but they sure look like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

It was just a matter of time...the 215's seem to be awesome but I haven't heard them. Someday when I move out of townhouses I may give them a serious look. Full range is my goal as I primarily listening to two channel music.

Perhaps next time I am in KC I can drop by again. Last visit was very cool.


Yep, next time you are in KC hopefully I can crank some Sabbath for you on the 215's!! cool.gifbiggrin.gif
carp is offline  
post #834 of 876 Old 05-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 53
That would be sweet!!!

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

NWCgrad is offline  
post #835 of 876 Old 05-27-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 6,947
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I thought about that but there is something about a truly full range speaker that is drawing me in. I know I don't need it... I have basically admitted to myself that even if there are no audio benifits it's still worth it to me for the looks alone! redface.gifsmile.gif

I just responded to your classified add. I read this and can't believe but also can at the same time. This is driving me crazy, I need to hear a pair. I think with both of our affinities for 2 channel listening that a true full range ultra-capable speaker like the 215RT is a game-ender. You obviously love the rest of the package, but getting that low end-no-sub-powerhouse of a main channel has me squirming in my chair right now...

I will certainly be taking your impressions as about the closest to the chest as anyone else. Wow.....Just wow!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is online now  
post #836 of 876 Old 05-27-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,962
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I just responded to your classified add. I read this and can't believe but also can at the same time. This is driving me crazy, I need to hear a pair. I think with both of our affinities for 2 channel listening that a true full range ultra-capable speaker like the 215RT is a game-ender. You obviously love the rest of the package, but getting that low end-no-sub-powerhouse of a main channel has me squirming in my chair right now...

I will certainly be taking your impressions as about the closest to the chest as anyone else. Wow.....Just wow!

Yeah, it was driving me nuts reading reviews from RMK, DD, N8, etc. I have to try it! Still, it won't have the advantage of one point source all the way down to 50hz, just down to 350hz or so - so it's still probably not a candidate for replacing your sh50's. If you do ever make another change I bet it's to another set of Danley's... that don't exist yet! smile.gif
carp is offline  
post #837 of 876 Old 05-27-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 15,951
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 851
"I thought about that but there is something about a truly full range speaker that is drawing me in. I know I don't need it... I have basically admitted to myself that even if there are no audio benifits it's still worth it to me for the looks alone!"

dude...i totally agree.

not sure if you happen to be following the seos thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531944/avs-group-project-speaker-name-seos-maximus/500_50#post_24764458

same spirit. just larger and more powerful. waf precludes such builds from ever having mass appeal, but i'm positive that there is a small market for old skool bigguns.

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #838 of 876 Old 05-27-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 15,951
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 851
"Yeah, it was driving me nuts reading reviews from RMK, DD, N8, etc. I have to try it! Still, it won't have the advantage of one point source all the way down to 50hz, just down to 350hz or so - so it's still probably not a candidate for replacing your sh50's. If you do ever make another change I bet it's to another set of Danley's... that don't exist yet!"

once the sources are less than about 1/4 wavelength, they combine pretty much as a single source. for 15" spacing from the center of the driver to the center of the horn (guess) that works out to about a 5' wavelength or roughly 225hz. you are really close with that speaker.

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #839 of 876 Old 05-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
blah450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 119
"...but i'm positive that there is a small market for old skool bigguns."

John, shame on you.
Yer a fella...you should know there will always be a market for bigguns!...biggrin.gif
blah450 is offline  
post #840 of 876 Old 05-27-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,962
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

"I thought about that but there is something about a truly full range speaker that is drawing me in. I know I don't need it... I have basically admitted to myself that even if there are no audio benifits it's still worth it to me for the looks alone!"

dude...i totally agree.

not sure if you happen to be following the seos thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531944/avs-group-project-speaker-name-seos-maximus/500_50#post_24764458

same spirit. just larger and more powerful. waf precludes such builds from ever having mass appeal, but i'm positive that there is a small market for old skool bigguns.


Yeah I've followed some of that thread - but not enough to understand why a 21" wave guide cannot be used?
carp is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off