Sealed Tempest LCR + Dual One Pi Surround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 71 Old 03-03-2013, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250

This will be my build log of the 5 speakers! eek.gif No idea how long this will take me, at least one month...

Ordered my three Tempest kits but asked Eric to change the included ported baffle to the 14.5 x21" sealed baffle. No extra fee for that change. Everything came in perfect shape from Ohio to California, Eric really knows how to pack this stuff up well. I purchased the parts needed to complete two one pi surrounds. Wayne can email you the crossover schematic for free and the crossover consists of only 3 components. Really simple. These surrounds will be sealed and slanted with a 15 degree slope (hopefully I can do this..).

Dimensions of the sealed Tempest.

Dimensions of the sealed/slanted One Pi.

Yes I made the baffle a lot larger than the enclosure, don't know why. It will be trimmed.

Winisd, almost the same frequency response.

I'm attaching the Google Sketchup files for the Tempest and One Pi. I measured the baffle Eric sent me with a tape measure so the dimensions should be pretty close.

Sealed Tempest.zip 1,101k .zip file

pi1.zip 16k .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sealed Tempest.zip (1.08 MB, 33 views)
File Type: zip pi1.zip (15.8 KB, 14 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 03-03-2013, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

3/3/2013: It begins... first pictures

Quick mockup.

The driver is not completely flush with the baffle, sticks up about 3/8".

This is why the driver sticks out, only a 1/4" available on the recess. A second baffle is definitely needed, not optional.

I probably won't start cutting wood till the end of next week.

3/08/2013: The Joy of cutting MDF (Small update)

Cutting of the MDF has begun but was cut short because of rain...Tomorrow should be clear with some sunshine!

I had built a 48" long saw guide for my sub build but later found out that it needed to be longer than the cut you are making. If not, its difficult to make the final cut near the edge. I made a saw guide using 3/4 mdf, its 60" long. Recessed some holes for the clamps near the edges. The 48x48 sheet of MDF is supported by a few 2x4's. My back breaking work bench.

While it was sprinkling I made some bar clamps. I won't be screwing down the cabinet like I did with my sub, too much bondo and sanding. I built four of these.

5/16 in. -18 x 36 in. threaded rod

2x3x8 Stud

Placing the rod in the drill chuck, I can thread the nut pretty fast up the rod.

I'm thinking by Sunday I should have everything cut and ready to be glued up.

3/09/2013: Sunny day, time to cut!

5 hours of cutting MDF and its allllll done. 30 panels in total.

3/10/2013: Slow day, damn Daylight Savings!

When I built my subs I didn't oversize my cuts to use a flush trim bit so everything fits nicely. This time I over sized my cuts.

I flush trimmed the rear panels with erics baffle so the front and rear can be exact, worked nicely. I glued the second baffle to erics baffle using Titebond II, will let that sit till tomorrow. I'll cut out the excess with a jigsaw and flush trim the holes. 

Got the angle cut on my surround panels, 15 degrees. 

Tomorrow I'll flush trim the baffle and route out the holes for the surround baffle. Maybe glue a few panels.

3/11/2013: This is easy, I'll be done in a couple hours...

My surround baffle all measured up and ready to cut. Put a screw in each corner to hold it down.

About 3 hours later...yes I'm serious... 3 hours for 2 baffles lol. The end results was great! I did mess up the woofer hole on the right. I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize I was already at the end of my cut so the router was drifting away. I plan to make a speaker ring because I took so much material away for the recess, that will fix the problem.

They fit just right! When I add the gasket they should both be level with the baffle.I'm actually surprised I was able to pull this off. I didn't think I was able to do it but measuring 100 times and using Google Sketchup really helps a lot.

The woofer is lifted slightly in the photo.

Flush trimmed the three baffles and they also came out great.

Tomorrow I'm going to take it easy and only build the speaker rings for the surrounds, glue those up and leave it for Wednesday.

3/12/2013: Two rings to rule them all!

Needed a speaker ring for my surround baffle because I recessed the woofer so much, not much wood for the screws to grab onto.

When making the final cut, leave a small tab on the top and bottom so the router doesn't start wandering.

Use a jigsaw to cut out the tabs. You're left with some speaker rings!

Using some Titebond II to glue them onto the baffle for the surrounds.

Most of the hard labor is complete on the speakers. All that is left is to glue all the pieces together.

3/16/2013: Stop being lazy!

So I got lazy and didn't work on the cabinets for a few days. Its the weekend so I better do something at least.

I love these 3-D squares, so nice. I left a 1/2" overhang on each end which I now realize is not a good idea. I would need to trim them down with the jigsaw or circular saw before using the flush trim bit.

I wasn't planning on using screws at all but needed a way to line up the boards so I can clamp them down. Patching 8 screws with bondo shouldn't be a problem. Unlike my sub build where I had somewhere around 75 screw holes per enclosure! Not doing that again...

Here is the bracing... After much thought I decided to keep it simple, a cross brace under the waveguide. The enclosure is so small I don't think adding more will have any improvements to my ears.

I think I need to modify the bar clamps and make some new holes on the edges. I did get some good squeeze out at the center so I know it works. Two down and one to go! 

I don't know what I was thinking when I bought this bazooka. On the left is your normal sized 10oz gun and the right is a 28oz gun. Plus I bought three tubes of PL Premium, each 28oz lol.

I hope to finish up the last cabinet and put the top and bottom panels on the 2 enclosures. Maybe start on the surrounds. 

3/17/2013: Almost there....

I had to bevel the speaker ring with a chisel so it can fit in the tight space. You can also see the ridiculous amount of overhang I left lol. Oh well, better to be safe than sorry.

I decided to use screws instead of clamping. Much easier and not that many screws, about 12. I made all the screw holes but did not have time to glue the boxes up, leave that for tomorrow. Looks pretty good with the speakers in!

Glued the top/bottoms + I started on the last cabinet.

Tomorrow I plan to glue up the surrounds. I guesstimate I'll be done with all the speakers in about 1.5 - 2 weeks...

3/18/2013: Slow but good day!

Screwed and glued the surrounds. I'll do the sides tomorrow.

I'll add the top and bottoms to the last SEOS cabinet tomorrow. I also need to figure out how I'm going to do the crossovers.

3/19/2013: Final cabinets glued up!

Surround sides glued up and the top/bottoms on the last SEOS cabinet done.

Looks like the fun part is next... Cutting all the EXCESS overhang with the circular saw or jig saw. Then flush trim the edges. I did weigh one of the SEOS cabinets and its 28lbs. Once I add everything I'm guessing its going to weigh 50lbs.

3/20/2013: Crossover time!

I separated the Woofer and CD crossover. Each board measures 4.5 x 7.5" and is 1/8" MDF. You can get a 2x4 sheet at Home Depot for less than $4.

I hot glued everything down but did not have time to solder the connections. Only made 1 board so far, took me about an hour and a half to figure everything out and glue it down.

3/21/2013: Crossovers again...

I put together the rest of the crossovers. I'll leave the soldering till the end of my build.

I think I'm getting lazy, I don't feel like trimming the edges on the speaker cabinets. Too much work lol.

3/23/2013: It has to be done!

Took me about 4.5 hours to flush trim 3 cabinets. Ugh! Flush trimming the surround baffle had me stumped. I was thinking of making a custom base for the router but that probably would have taken me all day. What I ended up doing was tilting the router by hand, that was fun! There was a few times the router kicked back but I could not let fear stop me. I took it 1/4" at a time and I was able to do it. All 3 cabinets came out real nice, I was surprised. The seams are all uniform and glued nicely.

Some chip out and dents but no big problems.

Tomorrow I plan to flush trim the last two SEOS cabinets and probably round over the edges.

3/24/2013: I could not resist.

I had to set it up just to make sure I did the crossover correctly. I didn't screw anything in so they were just sitting on top. I tested a couple movies just to hear some dialogue and its sound very clean. Can't wait to have these finished!

3/24/2013: So close... I can almost hear them.

Finished the sanding, round overs, and some bondo work. The round overs really make the speakers look nice.

For the surround baffle (Top/Bottom) I had to manually create a round over using my orbital sander. Came out fine.

Looks at these beauties, LOOK AT IT!

I'm soldering the crossovers now and plan to put a coat of primer on the SEOS cabinets tomorrow. In case anyone was wondering, I used about 45 oz of PL Premium for the 5 cabinets. I went a little crazy on the glue so I could have used a lot less.

3/26/2013: Love the smell of oil based primer in the morning.

Using this primer: Kilz Original 1QT.

After I put the primer on, I can start to see all the imperfections mad.gif I could spend weeks getting everything perfect but I'm at the stage of the build where I don't even care anymore lol. I want them in my living room ASAP! I got two coats on today and plan to do another two tomorrow. So far I'm almost done with 1QT of primer.  I don't have any paint brushes to do the speaker holes, I was thinking of using a napkin and smear a light coat of black oil based paint that I have. Its going to be covered with the speakers so it doesn't need to look pretty.

I was reading that if you soak the roller in paint and wrap it up tightly that it will last 24 hours. I have enough rollers so this is just an experiment, if it works then great! Saved myself a roller.

Lots of saran wrap and some zip ties at the ends.

3/28/2013: Almost done!

Wrapping the roller in saran wrapped worked! It was still moist and applied the paint just like a new one.

I was expecting the paint to be smooth but ended up with some texture which I really like.

I found some flat black spray paint which I ended up using for the speaker holes.

All 5 speakers.

I finished the crossovers, ready to be wired up to the speakers and terminal.

Tomorrow I plan to put another 2 coats of black paint then Saturday I will set them up. Right on schedule!

MISSION COMPLETE!

I actually finished on 3/30/13 but was too busy to post the final pics and tired! It was a workout.

I used industrial strength velcro to attach the crossover boards to the cabinet, one in each corner.

The boards in its final resting place. Also showing the insulation I used, R13. I removed the backing and split it in half. Use 3M adhesive to adhere it to the cabinet.

Now that I'm looking at this picture, I should have used zip ties to tie those wires in the middle... Oh well.

This is the terminal plate I used for all 5 speakers. I could have flush mounted them but didn't feel like doing it. This pic also shows the texture of the paint, pretty cool.

The CD is pretty well protected but the woofer is out in the open. I decided to use the same method as my subs. Cover the waffle style grill with cheap partsexpress cloth. The grill and clamps fit nicely around the woofer.

Shot of the front, not a great picture. I used a flush trim bit and sanded the edges but you can still see the seams in direct light. Who cares, its not visible in the living room unless you inspect them up close.

Final resting place of the 3 speakers. That is a 47" tv.

Couple shots of the surround. I used a keyhole mount on the rear of the cabinet and a A66 Simpson Strong-Tie on the bottom. The keyhole screw is in a stud as is the strong tie. I used two screws to hold the cabinet into the strong-tie. That thing ain't moving!

The SEOS cabinet ended up weighing 52lbs and the Surround at 20lbs IIRC.

My listening impressions... clean. I don't think there is any other word to describe them, is clean. I watched a couple movies, God Bless America and Sinister. I did not have my surrounds up during Sinister. That movie had a great soundtrack too :( . I also didn't have Audyssey setup at the time... The thing about these speakers that I love the most is the dialogue, its so clear and clean.

I was able to do one position yesterday with Audyssey and it set the crossover like this

Front: 40hz

Center: 60hz

Surround: 80hz

I was surprised that it actually went that low. I ran it twice just to make sure a train wasn't passing by or something, I live right near the tracks. I did raise the center and front to 80hz. I still need to setup rew and check out my response from 20-120hz before and after Audyssey. Another good thing is that the SEOS speaker trim levels are within 0.5db of the surrounds! So the one pi is a pretty good match sensitivity wise in my listening space.

abatsky likes this.

post #3 of 71 Old 03-03-2013, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

reserved

post #4 of 71 Old 03-03-2013, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

reserved

post #5 of 71 Old 03-03-2013, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

reserved

post #6 of 71 Old 03-03-2013, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

reserved

post #7 of 71 Old 03-03-2013, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking forward to this build. I plan on building Tempest left and right at some point. Interested in how the sealed version will measure and your listening impressions.

post #8 of 71 Old 03-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17

Excellent you started your log!  I remember reading somewhere that that it is known that the driver is not fully recessed on the Tempest and that it didn't affect anything negatively.

I am interested to see how you like the surrounds as I am sure that will be my next upgrade and I like the idea of the slanted enclosure!

Do you know how you are going to finish yours yet, ie Duratex?

post #9 of 71 Old 03-03-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll be using this paint

www.homedepot.com/p/t/100119614

www.homedepot.com/p/t/100172539

post #10 of 71 Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Cool, Have you used that before on a speaker project or similar?

post #11 of 71 Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Did not you consider putting woofer above tweeter in your slanted surrounds ?
post #12 of 71 Old 03-03-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

Cool, Have you used that before on a speaker project or similar?

I used Rust-oleum Satin paint on my subs and they came out ok. A little too glossy for my liking so I'm going to try out flat black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka View Post

Did not you consider putting woofer above tweeter in your slanted surrounds ?

I was thinking about this... still not sure.  Planning on making a cardboard mockup of the surround and see how they look.

post #13 of 71 Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

3/08/2013: The Joy of cutting MDF (Small update)

Cutting of the MDF has begun but was cut short because of rain...Tomorrow should be clear with some sunshine!

I had built a 48" long saw guide for my sub build but later found out that it needed to be longer than the cut you are making. If not, its difficult to make the final cut near the edge. I made a saw guide using 3/4 mdf, its 60" long. Recessed some holes for the clamps near the edges. The 48x48 sheet of MDF is supported by a few 2x4's. My back breaking work bench.

While it was sprinkling I made some bar clamps. I won't be screwing down the cabinet like I did with my sub, too much bondo and sanding. I built four of these.

5/16 in. -18 x 36 in. threaded rod

2x3x8 Stud

Placing the rod in the drill chuck, I can thread the nut pretty fast up the rod.

I'm thinking by Sunday I should have everything cut and ready to be glued up.

post #14 of 71 Old 03-09-2013, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 154
That is a great idea for making DIY clamps and a saw guide! I am in desperate need of more clamps and a decent saw guide! I think that I will try your DIY method! Where did you purchase those long threaded rods? Are those available at Lowes, Home Depot, or perhaps Bartens?
post #15 of 71 Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I bought the threaded rods at home depot for $2.63 each. They had a decent selection to choose from and 5/16 seemed to be the perfect size. Not too big, not too thin, and cheap price. If you do build a saw guide, I would suggest using 1/4 MDF. The reason I used 3/4 was because I didn't want to buy a sheet of 1/4 just for the saw guide.

Here is a video of where I got the idea to build a saw guide

post #16 of 71 Old 03-09-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

3/09/2013: Sunny day, time to cut!

5 hours of cutting MDF and its allllll done. 30 panels in total.

post #17 of 71 Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Not bad for a days work. smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #18 of 71 Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

3/10/2013: Slow day

When I built my subs I didn't oversize my cuts to use a flush trim bit so everything fits nicely. This time I over sized my cuts.

I flush trimmed the rear panels with erics baffle so the front and rear can be exact, worked nicely. I glued the second baffle to erics baffle using Titebond II, will let that sit till tomorrow. I'll cut out the excess with a jigsaw and flush trim the holes. 

Got the angle cut on my surround panels, 15 degrees. 

Tomorrow I'll flush trim the baffle and route out the holes for the surround baffle. Maybe glue a few panels.

post #19 of 71 Old 03-12-2013, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

3/11/2013: This is easy, I'll be done in a couple hours...

My surround baffle all measured up and ready to cut. Put a screw in each corner to hold it down.

About 3 hours later...yes I'm serious... 3 hours for 2 baffles lol. The end results was great! I did mess up the woofer hole on the right. I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize I was already at the end of my cut so the router was drifting away. I plan to make a speaker ring because I took so much material away for the recess, that will fix the problem.

They fit just right! When I add the gasket they should both be level with the baffle.I'm actually surprised I was able to pull this off. I didn't think I was able to do it but measuring 100 times and using Google Sketchup really helps a lot.

The woofer is lifted slightly in the photo.

Flush trimmed the three baffles and they also came out great.

Tomorrow I'm going to take it easy and only build the speaker rings for the surrounds, glue those up and leave it for Wednesday.

post #20 of 71 Old 03-12-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 557
You should have mentioned those surround speaker baffles. The CNC company has those drivers in the system from other speakers and I probably could have got you some cheap baffles. biggrin.gif

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #21 of 71 Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh well, I need the experience anyways.

post #22 of 71 Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

3/12/2013: Two rings to rule them all!

Needed a speaker ring for my surround baffle because I recessed the woofer so much, not much wood for the screws to grab onto.

When making the final cut, leave a small tab on the top and bottom so the router doesn't start wandering.

Use a jigsaw to cut out the tabs. You're left with some speaker rings!

Using some Titebond II to glue them onto the baffle for the surrounds.

Most of the hard labor is complete on the speakers. All that is left is to glue all the pieces together.

post #23 of 71 Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

"Most of the hard labor is complete on the speakers. All that is left is to glue all the pieces together."

That's what I thought at this point too......until I spent the last couple days sanding! smile.gif

post #24 of 71 Old 03-13-2013, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Nice work. Looking forward to your impressions on the surrounds with the SEOS stuff.
post #25 of 71 Old 03-17-2013, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

3/16/2013: Stop being lazy!

So I got lazy and didn't work on the cabinets for a few days. Its the weekend so I better do something at least.

I love these 3-D squares, so nice. I left a 1/2" overhang on each end which I now realize is not a good idea. I would need to trim them down with the jigsaw or circular saw before using the flush trim bit.

I wasn't planning on using screws at all but needed a way to line up the boards so I can clamp them down. Patching 8 screws with bondo shouldn't be a problem. Unlike my sub build where I had somewhere around 75 screw holes per enclosure! Not doing that again...

Here is the bracing... After much thought I decided to keep it simple, a cross brace under the waveguide. The enclosure is so small I don't think adding more will have any improvements to my ears.

I think I need to modify the bar clamps and make some new holes on the edges. I did get some good squeeze out at the center so I know it works. Two down and one to go! 

I don't know what I was thinking when I bought this bazooka. On the left is your normal sized 10oz gun and the right is a 28oz gun. Plus I bought three tubes of PL Premium, each 28oz lol.

I hope to finish up the last cabinet and put the top and bottom panels on the 2 enclosures. Maybe start on the surrounds. 

post #26 of 71 Old 03-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Cool! Keep working on them..... I finished my Tempests the other night and boy oh boy are you in for a treat!!!! I cant wait to hear your impressions on your surrounds.....I think my existing surrounds sound good with the Tempests but man Audyssey is dialing the Tempests back -9!

post #27 of 71 Old 03-17-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

3/17/2013: Almost there....

I had to bevel the speaker ring with a chisel so it can fit in the tight space. You can also see the ridiculous amount of overhang I left lol. Oh well, better to be safe than sorry.

I decided to use screws instead of clamping. Much easier and not that many screws, about 12. I made all the screw holes but did not have time to glue the boxes up, leave that for tomorrow. Looks pretty good with the speakers in!

Glued the top/bottoms + I started on the last cabinet.

Tomorrow I plan to glue up the surrounds. I guesstimate I'll be done with all the speakers in about 1.5 - 2 weeks...

post #28 of 71 Old 03-17-2013, 07:14 PM
a|F

Liked: 14
I'm confused - why the dome tweeter if you're using a coaxial?
post #29 of 71 Old 03-17-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Its not a coaxial, its the Alpha 8a.

post #30 of 71 Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

3/18/2013: Slow but good day!

Screwed and glued the surrounds. I'll do the sides tomorrow.

I'll add the top and bottoms to the last SEOS cabinet tomorrow. I also need to figure out how I'm going to do the crossovers.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page