Back from travel!
Got a chance to do some listening last night. I listened to a few different configurations of my own which was actually alot of fun. I used some "extra" equipment I had laying around and just had the speaker resting on my bar in a makeshift setup. I also went back and forth and did an A/B comparison with the existing configuration and compared to my SHO-10. Some thoughts:
Spare Harmon Kardon AVR 435, my iphone and some mp3's from spotify. Not the best setup but it allowed for some quick and easy listening. Crossover components were rigged together using some spare MDF and some alligator jumpers.
I took both setups up to +5 or so on the receiver at times. Both played loud and cleanly without any distortion at all.
2nd order on the woof, 3rd order on the tweet with parallel RC contour filter and series RLC. Polarity reversed on the T.
-Overall the clarity is way improved on my hybrid SEOS setup. The sound was a lot more forward/in your face, due to the directivity pattern I suppose. I noticed it was quite a bit more bright, which I'm going to tone back a little bit with some component changes. This became more noticable when I listened to some live performances with alot of crown noise, high pitched guitar solos, etc. The SHO-10 has a bit more laid back sound.
-Midbass is a little bit better with the SEOS box, even with a "lesser" driver likely due to the box tuning.
-Pattern control and off axis response (especially horizontal) is FAR better with the SEOS waveguide.
-The parallel RC contour filter helps clean up the sound a LOT. I experimented by removing/installing and that is definitely staying.
-Played with changing/swapping a few components inside the crossover section itself on the tweeter side (a small margin) and that was not nearly as noticeable to me.
-Removed/reinstalled the series RLC circuit. I honestly couldn't tell the difference with it installed removed.
-Also experimented with changing phase on the woof, tweet, and overall the whole speaker. Surprisingly this was not as noticable as I thought.
I'd imagine some of these things will become more noticeable as time goes on and I can identify what is changing. Overlall, this is a LOT of fun. I'll be experimenting some more with adding some series resistors on the T side tonight. I may try to grab some quick/dirty inside measurements if time allows too.
Next I'm going to build out an iteration that Ryan sent me to compare. It will be interesting to see how poorly mine performs in comparison.