Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
plug the hole with PL tongue.gif

I acccept all friend requests with AVS in the message. Add me!!

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian

Xbox One = The Barbeerian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

plug the hole with PL tongue.gif

Like minds. smile.gif I have some leftover black RTV, Liquid Nails, and some caulking. I think any of them will do. I try my best to make use of things I have left over from other projects.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The feet got here 2 days early. I installed the feet on the bottom and applied the first payer of Duratex to the top.

Feet:

Feet installed:

I am disappointed in the small ridge I managed to leave on the corners. I was so worried about getting the most even coats and texture that I neglected the corners. I am taking someone's advice and moving past it. It is small things like that where I can get hung up for days trying to fix.

First coat of Duratex on the tops:

Going to go ahead and see where I can get today. I have 4 free hours and am back and forth between these and painting the build ins. Hoping to have the stands done and listening to these by tomorrow. smile.gif
Old 08-04-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ended at 3 coats of Duratex. Drilled a hole. Spent many hours filling these with sand. 50lbs for the L&R and about 25lbs for the shorter C. Installed feet on the top. I need a beer. More a little later.

The sand:

Where I left off:

I still need to fill those holes. Maybe an ice cold Fat Tire will give me the energy to finish. tongue.gif We just got them distributed in Florida. biggrin.gif
Old 08-04-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I am getting there. Slowly but surely.

Stands in the room:

Speakers on top:

I was unable to paint the build ins last night. It will happen tonight. So my listening is pushed back by a day. Not too big a deal considering.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
those look great.

little man has his own circular saw, i see. a diy guy in the making!!

I acccept all friend requests with AVS in the message. Add me!!

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian

Xbox One = The Barbeerian
Old 08-04-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

those look great.

little man has his own circular saw, i see. a diy guy in the making!!

Thanks Brian.

That was a Christmas gift from some good friends. My wife wanted to get him a kitchen. Ehem. So he got a table saw at my request. tongue.gif He loves being out in the garage working with me. No idea if it will stick or not. His passion for the past year has been basketball.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Those stands turned out really good. I might have to steal that idea. Good work.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Jon I appreciate it. I just keep looking at them. smile.gif
Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18

I really like your stands they look great! My Tempests are currently sitting on Bankers Boxes LOL!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks cheezit, I am trying to make these look more finished than not as I normally do. I have too many projects that are 90% done and I move on. Lol
Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Time to put some graphs and measurements to these. I am ordering OmniMic today. From what I have gathered, the learning curve is pretty low with this system so I should be able to get it together. tongue.gif More when I get these tested.

I also forgot to put a picture of the finished speakers in the first post, so I knocked that out too.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:44 PM

Liked: 10

This is a really great looking build.  Nice work!

I may have missed it somewhere in this thread, but since it looks like your build is complete, I have to ask: how do they sound???

Old 10-03-2013, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you for the compliment. I want to do a good write up so I haven't posted one yet. I also want to get penn here so we can compare notes. And then there is the measurements that will help me understand it all.

I can say that there is more clear output than I could ever ask for. Even off my AVR I can make it uncomfortable. The AVR runs out of steam before the speakers do. They can clearly take more power. No plans for that at the moment. The dynamics are ridiculous. I have yet to watch the first movie on them. As soon as I get the OmniMic and run a few tests through them I will post the graphs with a much more detailed response.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:13 AM

Liked: 10

Awesome, thanks for the reply!  I look forward to seeing your measurements and extended impressions.  Enjoy them!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I had to force a few things to fall into place. OmniMic on the way from PE and a small order from Monoprice as well. I tried to wait till Columbus day to see what discounts if any would be offered. I needed to move forward. smile.gif
Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I hope you don't mind some unsolicited advice, but I was concerned about your "little guy." I know you put a lot of thought and effort to making those stands nice and heavy/kid proof, but as an additional safety measure you might want to also consider anchoring the speakers to the wall with some picture frame wire.

You have put a tremendous amount of effort to aesthetics with your room and those speakers, but as I look at that those open ports, they look like natural hand holds for a boy who likes to climb. Having raised two boys with no sense whatsoever, I had to be a zealot putting kid safety as priority #1, and EVERYTHING else is a very distant priority #2.

This coming from a dad who's oldest son proved me right about being paranoid when he fell off a basketball rim at school in 9th grade, breaking his arm. You just don't know what they are going to do next. rolleyes.gif
filtor1 and Rebel975 like this.

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
Old 10-09-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post

I hope you don't mind some unsolicited advice, but I was concerned about your "little guy." I know you put a lot of thought and effort to making those stands nice and heavy/kid proof, but as an additional safety measure you might want to also consider anchoring the speakers to the wall with some picture frame wire.

You have put a tremendous amount of effort to aesthetics with your room and those speakers, but as I look at that those open ports, they look like natural hand holds for a boy who likes to climb. Having raised two boys with no sense whatsoever, I had to be a zealot putting kid safety as priority #1, and EVERYTHING else is a very distant priority #2.

This coming from a dad who's oldest son proved me right about being paranoid when he fell off a basketball rim at school in 9th grade, breaking his arm. You just don't know what they are going to do next. rolleyes.gif

That is a really great point. We anchor our Christmas tree for that very reason. He doesn't mess with them at this point, but you never can tell what runs through their mind. I am always open to suggestions and appreciate the voice of experience.

Any ideas on hardware for the speakers and the wall side?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Why not find a way to anchor them to the bases? Filled with sand I'd say they'd make the speakers almost impossible to tip if attached.

Something like this on the backs would never be seen/noticed. and you could still seperate them easily. I've thought about doing similar to stack sub cabs and keep them from shifting around.

http://www.amazon.com/RHX-Stainless-Spring-Loaded-Toggle/dp/B00CWQLV1M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1381414354&sr=8-15&keywords=toggle+clamp+latch

or if you're feeling the need to get beefy

http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Holding-Capacity-Action-Toggle/dp/B008NGSQHM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1381414354&sr=8-3&keywords=toggle+clamp+latch
Old 10-10-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post

Why not find a way to anchor them to the bases? Filled with sand I'd say they'd make the speakers almost impossible to tip if attached.

Something like this on the backs would never be seen/noticed. and you could still seperate them easily. I've thought about doing similar to stack sub cabs and keep them from shifting around.

http://www.amazon.com/RHX-Stainless-Spring-Loaded-Toggle/dp/B00CWQLV1M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1381414354&sr=8-15&keywords=toggle+clamp+latch

or if you're feeling the need to get beefy

http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Holding-Capacity-Action-Toggle/dp/B008NGSQHM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1381414354&sr=8-3&keywords=toggle+clamp+latch

That is a killer idea. I would be worried with those and the MDF tearing out as tension is applied. I thought about removing the TD12 and maybe using a threaded rod with nut/washer combo too but it would interfere with the port.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 55
T-nuts/Hurricane nuts for the latch mounting? I'd just screw them in and not worry about it. Afterall this is just a precaution and hopefully the little guy isn't testing it daily.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I have read through all the pages and I love what you did... But now I have some questions. How would these compare to a store bought speaker? What price point would they compete with? Would they be just for movies or could they do well against a store bought speaker for listening to music? I have always wanted to build a pair of speakers and your have my curiosity up.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

I have read through all the pages and I love what you did... But now I have some questions. How would these compare to a store bought speaker? What price point would they compete with? Would they be just for movies or could they do well against a store bought speaker for listening to music? I have always wanted to build a pair of speakers and your have my curiosity up.

I don't have enough audition time with many other speakers. 15 years ago I used to frequent the local high end audio store and they were kind enough to demo anything I wanted. I would sit for hours going room to room listening to different offerings from Klipsch, B&W, McIntosh, DefTech, and countless others. I need to go by for a visit. I miss doing things like that, just not much time to do so. I wish I could make a good comparison to give you more information.

The other two sets of speakers I have in the house are some Boston Acoustics CR85's (one of my all time favorites for their size) and some Cerwin Vega VS-120's. The Boston's are very warm and inviting. In comparison they lack the dynamics and output of what I built. The Cerwins are more closely matched on output but in the same vane as the Bostons lack the dynamics and output. I never did an A/B comparison although I have spent a lot of time with them both. The Bostons were bought ~2003 and the Cerwins were bought in 1994.

A little note about what I had to get used to. The wide horizontal field of sound. Every other speaker I have owed had a very small sweet spot. With these, the entire couch is so close I can't tell the difference. I am very happy with this new found result.

Another note, I have always had more sub than LCR. I have always been able to run the sub hot and tip the scale in favor of the lows, not any more. Not even close. Capable subs are a must. I hope to have better results with the 4-18"s next year.

I received the OmniMic, however haven't had time when my wife could occupy my son long enough for me to load the software, calibrate, and them measure.

I had a friend stop by the house last week to have a listen. He plays guitar/keyboard/and sings in a couple bands. He likes things a bit on the loud side. I turned them up, 2channel w/sub, and you could not have a conversation on my deck ~25ft away with my slider opened. He was impressed how clear they were at that level. He also said it was ear opening how clear everything was. Another thing he noted is the lack of ear fatigue after a few spirited songs.This is why I liked the Boston's so much. Zero fatigue when watching movies. The wires arrived Friday and I was able to hook the PS3 back up. I have Avengers in cue.

I have cleaned up the wires just this past weekend, but still have a ways to go. My sub has developed a rattle on the top panel. It sounds like the bracing has separated from the top panel. It is 9-10 years old and has survived countless moves and usually ends up being a seat during football games and parties. So I am not too sad. It just gives me an excuse to build a new cab for it. smile.gif

Here is where I left off Sunday:

As you can see, this room gets a ton of use. biggrin.gif
Old 11-01-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I finally installed OmniMic and calibrated the mic. I will have some fun with this tonight if I can. Anyone else just leave it running and watch? tongue.gif
Old 11-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Cool, can't wait to see the results.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just managed to squeeze some free time in while the house was quiet. This is gobs of fun. smile.gif So I have not figured out how to merge the graphs yet, but here is a couple of things I have learned. My house is noisy. Very. My refrigerator is VERY loud. Here are a couple noise floor graphs.

Fridge on:

Fridge off:

Old 11-03-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Center channel at MLP

Track 1 FR Pseudo Noise

Track 2 FR Sine Sweep

Left chennel at MLP

Track 5 FR Pseudo Noise

Track 6 FR Sine Sweep

Right channel at MLP

Track 11 FR Pseudo Noise

Track 12 FR Sine Sweep
Old 11-03-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am going to swap the polarity back on the center and try again. Keeping my fingers crossed. My wife and I have both noticed an issue with deeper voices. I wonder if that is related to that weird dip?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I managed to swap the polarity back to the position in the crossover schematics on the center channel and measured again. It seemed to have made the hole larger.

Center channel Track 1 FR MLP Pseudo Noise Stock Tweeter Polarity

Center channel Track 2 FR MLP Sine Sweep Stock Tweeter Polarity

Any feedback or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

All of these were taken at 14' from the center channel and 36" off the ground. I suspect the best coarse of action here is to defeat the auto tuning from the receiver and start from scratch. My family is back so I have no idea when I will have the opportunity to do so. I have requested more time though. smile.gif
Old 11-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Floor bounce maybe?

http://tripp.com.au/avfcbm.htm