SEOS 12/AE TD12M Project - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 401 Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey Noah. I'm not filtor1, but if nothing else, I think it adds some simplicity to the board, particularly when terminating the internal speaker wire with spade terminals, it doesn't add too much to the final cost, and I haven't encountered connections loosening. It certainly adds some modularity when taking the board in and out of the enclosure. These terminal blocks coupled with the nylon style barrier strips between component connections is really useful while swapping out different values as well.

-Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 401 Old 05-30-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

Ask away, I will take every opportunity to learn if there is a better method to accomplish a goal. I chose these because others had and to my knowledge have never had any issues with the screws backing out. I personally found them very compliant and easy to use.

Can you explain what you mean by a flying lead with spade terminals at the speakers?
I think he's saying the lead is just soldered to the connections. I have that on my incoming wires, but then a pin down to the speakers. I will solder the others because it's quick and easy and I don't plan to take these speakers apart.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #93 of 401 Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

I think he's saying the lead is just soldered to the connections. I have that on my incoming wires, but then a pin down to the speakers. I will solder the others because it's quick and easy and I don't plan to take these speakers apart.

Gotcha. As this is my first crossover I have ever built, I wanted to have the option to take them apart if needed.
post #94 of 401 Old 05-30-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotcha. As this is my first crossover I have ever built, I wanted to have the option to take them apart if needed.
Well you sure made them look purdy... Makes mine look like the ugly duckling extraordinaire. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #95 of 401 Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well you sure made them look purdy... Makes mine look like the ugly duckling extraordinaire. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

I appreciate that pg. The layout was all Matt. I just followed his lead. Without his guidance I would bet mine would resemble a plate of spaghetti noodles. tongue.gif The OCD part of me wants to take them apart and buy a new iron and other tools and rework them and clean up the soldering. Luckily the practical side is here to save me time and tell me to move on so I can get the project complete. I think my wife is getting tired of the boxes of drivers in our bedroom. biggrin.gif
post #96 of 401 Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 101
If the connection is good, move on for sure. They look great and you'll probably never see them again.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #97 of 401 Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

If the connection is good, move on for sure. They look great and you'll probably never see them again.
Agreed. I originally planned to not care, but I got the better of me and made it into something to challenge myself. I can't help it for some reason. I have to learn or I am not satisfied with the outcome. I see others like that here too. Kinda like I am among my people. tongue.gif
post #98 of 401 Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

Agreed. I originally planned to not care, but I got the better of me and made it into something to challenge myself. I can't help it for some reason. I have to learn or I am not satisfied with the outcome. I see others like that here too. Kinda like I am among my people. tongue.gif

Birds of a feather. biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I would be content with that and spend the time on other areas. I know about OCD all too well, and sometimes you just need to give it another task to feed on. cool.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #99 of 401 Old 05-30-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Birds of a feather. biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I would be content with that and spend the time on other areas. I know about OCD all too well, and sometimes you just need to give it another task to feed on. cool.gif

right. like applying duratex without leaving roller lines mad.gif

post #100 of 401 Old 05-31-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
With flying leads you can remove the XO by disconnecting the terminals at the speakers; likely easier to do with terminals though.

Noah
post #101 of 401 Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Small update:

I was able to finish the final crossover. I discovered I like the light in the garage better for this type of work. But it is June in Florida. So I am glad I am done with these.

Tops:

Bottoms:

Some differences you may notice on crossover #3. This was the last to be completed and I started to make a couple subtle changes. I cut the large common too large. I used more flexible speaker wire for the common in the center. This made soldering much easier. I lengthened the wire used between L3-C1-positive input terminal.

I have revised my enclosure design as well. More on that in a few. I need to clean my runoff table. smile.gif
post #102 of 401 Old 06-02-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 389
You are going to really like these speakers. I got my replacement MiniDSP 10x10HD back and got everything hooked up again to my SEOS-12/DNA-360/TD12M ported speakers. Cranked up some music, 2 channel with subs and it sounded great. Close your eyes and you would think you were there. Imagining so good, I walked up to the screen three times to confirm the center channel was not on. smile.gif I was listening at reference level and so clean, I could have gone louder easily.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #103 of 401 Old 06-02-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

You are going to really like these speakers. I got my replacement MiniDSP 10x10HD back and got everything hooked up again to my SEOS-12/DNA-360/TD12M ported speakers. Cranked up some music, 2 channel with subs and it sounded great. Close your eyes and you would think you were there. Imagining so good, I walked up to the screen three times to confirm the center channel was not on. smile.gif I was listening at reference level and so clean, I could have gone louder easily.

I love hearing impressions like that. tongue.gif I just got the garage cleaned up enough to work and the runoff table cleared off. I had to repair a mirror frame before I could start. With that out of the way I am going to go start cutting panels. It will be next year after we get our AC replaced before my 18"s are added. Just a matter of budget at this point. Until then the 15" Titanic kit from PE will have to do a lot of work. smile.gif
post #104 of 401 Old 06-02-2013, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Cranked up some music, 2 channel with subs and it sounded great. Close your eyes and you would think you were there. Imagining so good...

^This. This is what these are all about. The first track I played using these speakers was Beck's "Golden Age" on SACD. We all have our goto tracks, but this is it for me. I know it well or at least I thought I did. I kept hearing this sort of plinking sound on the accompanied notes during the opening acoustic guitar chords and I realized what it was I was hearing, it was the glockenspiel mallet striking the keys. I was floored by the clarity. It sounded like I was standing where the mic was placed during the recording. They are amazing speakers, you're gonna be pleased Chris.

-Nate
post #105 of 401 Old 06-02-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are the physical measurement of the enclosure and panels I settled on after another revision.

Enclosure: 14.5" x 26" x 13.75" = 2.11965cf gross.
Port: 11.5" x 2" x 9.75"
Tuned to 50Hz based on 1.81684cf net enclosure volume.

Individual panels per enclosure:
2 - 14.5" x 26" 2nd baffle and back of enclosure
2 - 11.5" x 26" Sides
1 - 13" x 8.25" Top of port (I just realized I cut these incorrectly. :/ At least it is only 3 panels)
2 - 2" x 8.25" Sides of port
3 - 13" x 11.5" Top and bottom (bottom is double panel)
4 - 2" x 13" Bracing
4 - 2" x 11.5" Bracing

Ignore the top pile as those will go in my scrap pile. They are the incorrectly cut port tops.

Hoping to get the three panels cut tomorrow and maybe some assembly. More pictures as I progress.
post #106 of 401 Old 06-02-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:

I love hearing impressions like that. tongue.gif I just got the garage cleaned up enough to work and the runoff table cleared off. I had to repair a mirror frame before I could start. With that out of the way I am going to go start cutting panels. It will be next year after we get our AC replaced before my 18"s are added. Just a matter of budget at this point. Until then the 15" Titanic kit from PE will have to do a lot of work. smile.gif

I was wondering what the gold frame went to. I thought it was a picture. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #107 of 401 Old 06-02-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was wondering what the gold frame went to. I thought it was a picture. smile.gif

biggrin.gif It was broken and traded between a few people before it was given to us. I guess it knew I would repair it.
post #108 of 401 Old 06-02-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As I am working through this process I am discovering a whole new appreciation for what goes into all the speakers I own. A huge number of smaller variables all have to align and work alone and together. Just a little reflection mid way through this build. smile.gif
post #109 of 401 Old 06-03-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking good. Nice workspace. I'm working on my enclosures very slowly. Boxes are all done, but I need to put the finish on them.

post #110 of 401 Old 06-03-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looking good. Nice workspace. I'm working on my enclosures very slowly. Boxes are all done, but I need to put the finish on them.

Thank you. I used to have my car in there but that was sold a couple years ago. My truck won't fit without pushing the washer and dryer with the front bumper. tongue.gif So It has become storage/work area for now.

As soon as I have the budget I am going to buy the Duratex for mine. I am getting close. What are you going to finish your enclosures with?
post #111 of 401 Old 06-03-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you. I used to have my car in there but that was sold a couple years ago. My truck won't fit without pushing the washer and dryer with the front bumper. tongue.gif So It has become storage/work area for now.

As soon as I have the budget I am going to buy the Duratex for mine. I am getting close. What are you going to finish your enclosures with?
I'm in the process of veneering mine, but it'll take some time. I don't think I have enough veneer, so I'll probably finish 3 of them and do the other two a little later since they wont be used right away. Duratex is popular, but doesn't pass that WAF test in my house.

post #112 of 401 Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm in the process of veneering mine, but it'll take some time. I don't think I have enough veneer, so I'll probably finish 3 of them and do the other two a little later since they wont be used right away. Duratex is popular, but doesn't pass that WAF test in my house.

Nice! I looked for your thread but wasn't able to find it. Can you throw up the link please? I am very lucky, my wife is extremely flexible with this hobby. I think it is already awkward in the living room and am only going to make it worse. If It doesn't work for her, I will have to find another way to enjoy them. Crossing my fingers she doesn't notice them any more than what is there now. biggrin.gif
post #113 of 401 Old 06-03-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Great progress. Looking good!

post #114 of 401 Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice! I looked for your thread but wasn't able to find it. Can you throw up the link please? I am very lucky, my wife is extremely flexible with this hobby. I think it is already awkward in the living room and am only going to make it worse. If It doesn't work for her, I will have to find another way to enjoy them. Crossing my fingers she doesn't notice them any more than what is there now. biggrin.gif
Haven't started a thread and was planning to post within this one once I'm done. I'm moving at such a snails pace that I figured I'd just threw a few images up at the end.

post #115 of 401 Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Haven't started a thread and was planning to post within this one once I'm done. I'm moving at such a snails pace that I figured I'd just threw a few images up at the end.

Gotcha, I will keep an eye out for it. I can't help but share any progress I make. It motivates me to find the time to make something happen.
post #116 of 401 Old 06-03-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotcha, I will keep an eye out for it. I can't help but share any progress I make. It motivates me to find the time to make something happen.
I would have, but I have to do routing and sanding outside and we haven't had consistent weather until recently. I've waited weeks for the weather to behave.

post #117 of 401 Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would have, but I have to do routing and sanding outside and we haven't had consistent weather until recently. I've waited weeks for the weather to behave.

Just do like I did and do it in the basement. It only leaves about 3" of dust on everything in sight. cool.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #118 of 401 Old 06-03-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have been waiting for a break in the weather as well. It stopped raining just long enough for me to knock those cuts out. The way my run off table has to be set up, The entire sheet has to go outside before it can be run through.

Quote:

Just do like I did and do it in the basement. It only leaves about 3" of dust on everything in sight. cool.gif

I wish we had basements here. I dream of one day building a two story addition onto the back of our house. That is in the distant future though. It is nice to dream about. smile.gif
post #119 of 401 Old 06-03-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish we had basements here. I dream of one day building a two story addition onto the back of our house. That is in the distant future though. It is nice to dream about. smile.gif

I keep forgetting you're in FL.

I'll trade you my basement for your climate. wink.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #120 of 401 Old 06-03-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I keep forgetting you're in FL.

I'll trade you my basement for your climate. wink.gif

biggrin.gif Yeah man, I don't complain about the 5 months out of the year of not having to use ac and putting up my Christmas light in shorts and flip flops. I will take the couple months of 90deg+ and 90%+ humidity for ice any day.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page