post #181 of 401 Old 06-15-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

Thanks! It's Gregorian Cherry Gel Stain. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2005555/16538/general-finishes-georgian-cherry-gel-stain-pint.aspx

I'll need to take some better pictures.

Very very nice! I need to learn how to perform a proper dado cut too. It seems it would make life a whole lot easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 401 Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

You did a nice job on those. Much better than going with the black front baffle that I suggested. smile.gif
Thought about it, but would only do it if I was going to use a grill. I'll need to take a few more pictures to show how they look in different light. Should have 2 more done tomorrow.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #183 of 401 Old 06-15-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Your SEOS-12's are giving my SEOS-12's an inferiority complex. Good thing I have an AT screen they can hide behind. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #184 of 401 Old 06-15-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

Your SEOS-12's are giving my SEOS-12's an inferiority complex. Good thing I have an AT screen they can hide behind. smile.gif

Agree'd. AT screens are good for a proper front soundstage, and hiding your sub par woodworking skills. biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #185 of 401 Old 06-15-2013, 11:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Agree'd. AT screens are good for a proper front soundstage, and hiding your sub par woodworking skills. biggrin.gif

Hey speak for yourself. smile.gif My woodworking skills are pretty good. I have done a lot of finish carpentry and painting, I have built and finished cabinets to match factory finish cabinets with antiquing and glaze.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #186 of 401 Old 06-15-2013, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

Hey speak for yourself. smile.gif My woodworking skills are pretty good. I have done a lot of finish carpentry and painting, I have built and finished cabinets to match factory finish cabinets with antiquing and glaze.

"Your" in that statement was meant as a generalization. wink.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #187 of 401 Old 06-16-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

So just did a side by side comparison with my Klipsch RB-75's and the SEOS-12/TD12M's win hands down, no question. I meter level matched them and I heard way more detail with the SOES speakers. I tried several different tunes and each time I would hear more detail and the clarity was much better. I was actually surprised how apparent the difference was. I can see why some people say that don't need a center, I kept checking to see if it was on, but it wasn't.

Thank you Erich, Bill, Mike, RobotBunny, smokarz and bunch of other people. Awesome project with outstanding results. biggrin.gif
LTD02 likes this.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #188 of 401 Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

So just did a side by side comparison with my Klipsch RB-75's and the SEOS-12/TD12M's win hands down, no question. I meter level matched them and I heard way more detail with the SOES speakers. I tried several different tunes and each time I would hear more detail and the clarity was much better. I was actually surprised how apparent the difference was. I can see why some people say that don't need a center, I kept checking to see if it was on, but it wasn't.

Thank you Erich, Bill, Mike, RobotBunny, smokarz and bunch of other people. Awesome project with outstanding results. biggrin.gif

Sweet! I like reviews like that. After we have the inlaws here for lunch I will be tesing the crossovers. Some Ruby Red Shiner Bock found me last night. Needless to say I will be playing catch up. The baffle on the second speaker is drying right now. smile.gif
post #189 of 401 Old 06-16-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

Sweet! I like reviews like that. After we have the inlaws here for lunch I will be tesing the crossovers. Some Ruby Red Shiner Bock found me last night. Needless to say I will be playing catch up. The baffle on the second speaker is drying right now. smile.gif
I tried to fine Firestone Double Jack yesterday, but everyone was out, so I settled for Stone IPA. I have a IBA in my secondary right now. However I did get to enjoy it in my new glasses. http://www.amazon.com/Spiegelau-2-Pack-Classics-Glass-19-Ounce/dp/B00BTPUT3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371401524&sr=8-1&keywords=IPA+glass

Very nice glass for IPA.

post #190 of 401 Old 06-16-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Two down. I got all three crossovers tested and they seemed to do what they are supposed to. I can already tell I am going to need to find some measuring equipment, but one step at a time. smile.gif

I didn't stop much to take pictures as I knew I wouldn't have time like this for a while. In my haste I managed to place the braces a little bit off. I don't think it will matter in the end. There is still the matter of the terminal. I saw someone here do a circle cutout and glued a square on the inside of the cabinet. They finished it off with a small roundover and used similar terminals as I have. I will have to keep looking for that thread.
post #191 of 401 Old 06-16-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried to fine Firestone Double Jack yesterday, but everyone was out, so I settled for Stone IPA. I have a IBA in my secondary right now. However I did get to enjoy it in my new glasses. http://www.amazon.com/Spiegelau-2-Pack-Classics-Glass-19-Ounce/dp/B00BTPUT3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371401524&sr=8-1&keywords=IPA+glass

Very nice glass for IPA.

Very nice! We definitely don't have enough micro brewers here. I am going for a Sierra Nevada SummerFest tonight. A nice lager with some medium hop. I have tried my best to enjoy some more aggressively hoppy beer, but don't have the pallet for it.
post #192 of 401 Old 06-16-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Very nice glass for IPA.

sweeet, always nice to see more home brewers. I got a wheat cream stout in the primary right now (I don't secondary), stuff is pure gold
post #193 of 401 Old 06-16-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very nice! We definitely don't have enough micro brewers here. I am going for a Sierra Nevada SummerFest tonight. A nice lager with some medium hop. I have tried my best to enjoy some more aggressively hoppy beer, but don't have the pallet for it.
I think Florida has 26 Microbreweries. Colorado has the most per capita. We have 10 opening this year in the Springs and we had 5 or 6 already with a population of 600K in the city and 900K surrounding. I like many styles, but prefer stouts, ambers and ipa's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

sweeet, always nice to see more home brewers. I got a wheat cream stout in the primary right now (I don't secondary), stuff is pure gold
Love a cream stout. I do secondary because I like to harvest my yeast from the primary and when I dry hop I don't want the hop material to lay on the yeast cake. My Indian Blonde Ale is my own bastardization of styles. I make a belgian blonde and use american yeast and hops, but do more late hop additions and dry hop it to give it a hop forward flavor and aroma, but without the bitterness. It's become a favorite amongst my friends. Are you using lactose in the stout?

Filtor1,

If you hadn't told me about being a bit off, then I would never have known. Looking good. biggrin.gif

post #194 of 401 Old 06-16-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think Florida has 26 Microbreweries. Colorado has the most per capita. We have 10 opening this year in the Springs and we had 5 or 6 already with a population of 600K in the city and 900K surrounding. I like many styles, but prefer stouts, ambers and ipa's.
Love a cream stout. I do secondary because I like to harvest my yeast from the primary and when I dry hop I don't want the hop material to lay on the yeast cake. My Indian Blonde Ale is my own bastardization of styles. I make a belgian blonde and use american yeast and hops, but do more late hop additions and dry hop it to give it a hop forward flavor and aroma, but without the bitterness. It's become a favorite amongst my friends. Are you using lactose in the stout?

Filtor1,

If you hadn't told me about being a bit off, then I would never have known. Looking good. biggrin.gif

We have one here, SwampHead. It isn't my kind of beer though. We just got our first World of Beers. That might be my best outlet to try new things. I would like to try your Indian Belgian Bastard Ale. tongue.gif I am a big fan of Belgian Blondes. I used to keep Leffe Blonde and Brown in the fridge until the prices went nuts a couple years ago. Yuengling is the mainstay at my house these days. I have always been interested in home brewing, but have never taken the plunge.
post #195 of 401 Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We have one here, SwampHead. It isn't my kind of beer though. We just got our first World of Beers. That might be my best outlet to try new things. I would like to try your Indian Belgian Bastard Ale. tongue.gif I am a big fan of Belgian Blondes. I used to keep Leffe Blonde and Brown in the fridge until the prices went nuts a couple years ago. Yuengling is the mainstay at my house these days. I have always been interested in home brewing, but have never taken the plunge.
This batch has been made for a buddy visiting during the week of the 4th from Margate FL.

post #196 of 401 Old 06-17-2013, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Filtor1,

oh yeah, if you're dry hopping than it's pain to harvest yeast. I harvest all the time but I usually make Saisons, Hefe's and stouts ... stuff that has little to no late or dry hop additions so it's a lot easier that way. when I do IPAs I usually have to secondary for that very reason. and yeah, I'm using a lb of lactose to add the "cream" factor to it
post #197 of 401 Old 06-17-2013, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

k.. Here's my progress with photo's. Still working on some, but first one is done. Needs to be cleaned-up a bit.

Still working on the others. I added 3/4 inch to Erich's boxes on the sides in order to do the round over and have a little room. I probably could have used half inch. Two speakers need a second layer of clear coat and the others need veneer, but no rush since they wont be used for a while (short on veneer). This was the first time I used 10mil veneer and there's pluses and minuses. On the plus side, 10mil wraps around the rounded edges nicely and is easier to cut. On the minus, I found that I had a few bubbles that were very small and I didn't have that issue when I used 20mil on the Statements, which are much larger. I veneered them with glue and hot iron. I used gel stain for the first time and I'm not comfortable with it. I think wipe-on stain is simpler to use. The important thing is my wife likes them. Some pictures are MIA.

Wow that veneer really made that speaker look awesome! Great work
post #198 of 401 Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

Wow that veneer really made that speaker look awesome! Great work

Thanks. Took a lot longer mainly due to weather and limited working space.

post #199 of 401 Old 06-17-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

pg, your finish made it on the AE FB page but he had to use my thread. smile.gif just shows you how awesome that color looks. biggrin.gif
post #200 of 401 Old 06-17-2013, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
+1 Those look great Peter. I love using General Finishes, so easy to use and great results. I used "Java" on a kitchen cabinet refinish and then applied General Finishes Arm-R-Seal top coat satin...that stuff is tough as nails.
post #201 of 401 Old 06-17-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotbunny View Post

+1 Those look great Peter. I love using General Finishes, so easy to use and great results. I used "Java" on a kitchen cabinet refinish and then applied General Finishes Arm-R-Seal top coat satin...that stuff is tough as nails.
Have you used the gel? If so, how did you apply? I've seen various methods. I tried two different one's and not sure which one I prefer.

post #202 of 401 Old 06-17-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oooo, I found it! Brad did these recessed terminals. Post 233. Going to work on this tonight on the two that are done.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1422024/seos-12-dna-360-jbl-2226-j-build/150
post #203 of 401 Old 06-17-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oooo, I found it! Brad did these recessed terminals. Post 233. Going to work on this tonight on the two that are done.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1422024/seos-12-dna-360-jbl-2226-j-build/150

cool. I used terminal cups, but those look nice.

post #204 of 401 Old 06-17-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yup, the Gel stain. I used foam brushes to apply both the stain and the top coat. I've got a Woodcraft store just minutes from me and they recommended either a cloth or foam brush. I never tried cloth application, but the foam brushes worked really well. I was going for a very dark finish over oak, so I never wiped it off as this stuff doesn't penetrate like liquid stains do. The Arm-R-Seal satin top coat I used was really incredible, the trick is never go back over the same area as it will self-level. With our family, this stuff is bomb proof...no scratches or marks after 3 years.

That's exactly how I made my terminal cups, but I made a rectangular hole instead. I made a 4"x3" hole jig from scrap wood. Attached the jig to the rear of the enclosure and ran a flush trim bit through a hole I drilled. I glued a piece bigger than the hole to the inside and drilled the holes for the posts.
post #205 of 401 Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Terminals on the completed enclosures.

post #206 of 401 Old 06-17-2013, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

looks nice. Going to take them out to paint?

post #207 of 401 Old 06-18-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

looks nice. Going to take them out to paint?

Thank you! Definitely going to take them out to paint. I have already stretched my budget too far, so they will be bare and without stuffing until some later date when the budget is there.
post #208 of 401 Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Those look great man!
post #209 of 401 Old 06-18-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Enjoy your speakers. They are a high quality product. I agree with you about checking to see if the center was on when playing stereo music, but 5.1 with Phantom center just sounded weird to me.

post #210 of 401 Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

#3 almost done. Baffle is curing. Two final braces and attaching the baffle then some sanding and the enclosure portion of the project will be as far as I can take it. smile.gif

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page