Newbie needs advise on rebuilding vintage speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm new to this site, although I've been skulking in the background for some time. I believe this is the correct place for this post as the particular project I have uses all the skills available here.
I have two pair of vintage speakers that I've just acquired for a great price (free! couldn't even talk him down!!) and I want to modify them.
I have a pair of Infinity SM115s & SM122s and I want to add some bracing inside, possibly re-glue the cabs (if possible without tearing them up) and possibly recap the crossovers. Probably add some Dynamat or something as well (pillow stuffing better?).
My problem is, I've never done anything like this, only read that it would improve these speakers. I have the skill in woodworking and desoldering/resoldering components etc. But would need the proper values of cap and maybe the schematics would help alot too.
Everything I've read about these speakers says that all those things would improve the sound, am I right or wrong? I don't do much with movies, just music and I thought I may have lost some of my hearing from standing in front of some Marshall stacks over the years. Not sure of that, because I just got some software called "How to Listen" from Harman and I seem to be getting 100% correct so far on all the sound tests they have in it. Not sure if anyone has heard of that software, but the engineers at Harman use it to test their speakers against other manufacturers.
Wow, long winded, sorry!
Any help or suggestions?? Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Worthwhile as a learning experience especially as you own them but aren't going to make a great difference.
Schematics for both were easily found with google and they're similar in topology. Replace any electrolytic caps with suitable replacements, but if any are polys they won't benefit from replacement. Bracing will help if there is little, which is typical for speakers of thet era.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-07-2013, 11:27 AM

Liked: 42
Use Google image and you find the schematics
I've done this sort of thing to other cabs, ranging from simple repair to replacement and complete gutting using only the cab.
Usually adding wood dowel cross bracing, replacing cheap or old caps with newer better ones, and adding damping when needed.

"Beware of Salesmen: They are the modern Svengali, immune to Science and Reality"
post #4 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks guys! Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Had a long trip to make and just got back.Tried answering with my phone, but kept getting corrupted. I found a schmatic for the SM115 but nothing on the SM122.
I'll keep looking, especially now that I need one for the RS3000 as well. Just found a pair of those at a dumpster! They need refoamimg real bad and not sure what else. The cabinets are in great shape, no damage at all. Amazing what people toss out around here.
Where should I go to read up on doing some cross bracing, recaping etc. I've never done any of these things but want to learn now that I seem to be getting a small collection of vintage speakers. I've been offered some Pioneer by a friend, he's not sure which ones they are. He's had them in a closet since he got them from his uncle.
Well, thanks again, I'm off to try finding some of this information I need.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm on a poor connection in the boonies ATM so am not going to search for you, but I found both schematics on the first page of google results. I would have used something like "Infinity SM122 schematic".
post #6 of 8 Old 03-15-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

"Poor connection in the boonies" !! Sounds like my house, we live in the woods and can only get a connection via satellite. Lose internet, telephone and television with every rain storm. Makes me angry, since my neighbor who is about 1/4 mile away gets high speed internet over his phone lines and never has any problerms during storms.
Maybe I should use Google instead of Bing, see if I get the same results this time.
Thanks
Bill
post #7 of 8 Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade54 View Post

"Poor connection in the boonies" !! Sounds like my house, we live in the woods and can only get a connection via satellite. Lose internet, telephone and television with every rain storm. Makes me angry, since my neighbor who is about 1/4 mile away gets high speed internet over his phone lines and never has any problerms during storms.
Maybe I should use Google instead of Bing, see if I get the same results this time.
Thanks
Bill
I was replying yesterday from a remote location nestled in a deep valley and GSM3 connection was tenuous - it seemd like wind direction lost or made the signal.

Click to enlarge.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the schematic. Every place I went to try a download wanted money, cheapest was $4.99. Found it free but it was a mess trying to download it, had to download two files, combine them etc etc etc, so I didn't bother, thought I'd try today. Now, I don't have to, great!!
Of course, now I have no excuse for not starting to work on all these speakers I seem to have collected. Another friend heard I was collecting and brought me a pair of Infinity Reference 5s. I have to tell people to stop but I can't, seems I have some kind of hoarding virus! I also found a couple of old receivers on my back porch, not even sure what they are, yet.
Thanks again !!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page