post #61 of 76 Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

Are you running it in bridge mode? Curious as to how much power you're feeding it. Just placed the order for my Ultimax now. My boy is going to the CNC at my school to make my last 2 cuts, by the time Parts Express delivers it it should be ready.

Do you have feet on your sub?

No I'm not running feet on my sub, did not see the need to tongue.gif

Yes its running bridge, well as far as I know. The speakon is set to the +1 and +2 connections as it asks, and amp is is set to bridge mode, if the output lights lightup they lightup on both channels

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I ran my Dayton 18 HO without feet for a while, but it seemed to shake everything a bit too much at medium volume levels. Threw some heavy duty rubber feet on it and it's reduced the shaking in my room quite a bit.

post #63 of 76 Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

I ran my Dayton 18 HO without feet for a while, but it seemed to shake everything a bit too much at medium volume levels. Threw some heavy duty rubber feet on it and it's reduced the shaking in my room quite a bit.
My klipsch rw12d traveled at least a foot each night when I used it without rubber feet. Never again...
post #64 of 76 Old 04-09-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have carpeted rugs, hasnt seemed to move at all yet

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #65 of 76 Old 04-10-2013, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

My klipsch rw12d traveled at least a foot each night when I used it without rubber feet. Never again...

The sub itself didn't move much, if any, since I have carpet. But I was talking about everything else in the room moving. lol

Before the rubber feet, I would feel the vibrations everywhere. Which is nice to me, but probably not so nice for my downstairs neighbor.

post #66 of 76 Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I did my best to EQ the sub manually last night with the NU1000..

Now granted being a standard living room situation, unsmooth my graph is up and down up and down. With a 1/6 smooth its pretty linear, about -5db around 20hz and then pretty flat to 80 where it drops off a bit with the reciever crossed over at 80

Haven't had a chance to listen to any material yet, by the time I was done it was late and everyone was asleep. Will try and play with the EQ a bit more tonight and do some listening tests tommorow..

Though I will say, listening to a 10-200HZ test sweep, it does not seem to get quiet in one area, loud in another.. Theres a dip in SPL around the 40hz range that I can hear with my ear, but everything else to my ears seems smooth and linear

post #67 of 76 Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1291
Quote:

The sub itself didn't move much, if any, since I have carpet. But I was talking about everything else in the room moving. lol

Before the rubber feet, I would feel the vibrations everywhere. Which is nice to me, but probably not so nice for my downstairs neighbor.
Rubber feet might absorb some cabinet bounce, but that won't do your neighbor much good. 12 foot and longer wavelengths pass through floors with impunity, unless said floors are a foot or more of solid concrete.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #68 of 76 Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Rubber feet might absorb some cabinet bounce, but that won't do your neighbor much good. 12 foot and longer wavelengths pass through floors with impunity, unless said floors are a foot or more of solid concrete.

Oh I'm sure my neighbor still hears it. lol. The floors are about 6" concrete though, so that does help some.

post #69 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So a couple of things first before I continue with this post..

I have my NU1000DSP hooked up via a speakon connector in the back as required, the wires in position +2 and +1 to run in bridged, now going to the sub I simply am using two binding posts with banana plugs. Now is it not truely running in bridge mode because im not using a speakon connector at the sub? One would assume that wiring the + and - on the sub if I used a speakon connector would be the same thing as it being + and - with the binding posts?

The reason I ask, and maybe its because of how heavily I h ad to EQ the sub using the EQ in the NU1000, it seems like its very easy to get the lights to light up on the AMP. Granted ive seen the clip light hit hard a few times but have not heard any odd noise that could be clipping unless I crank it ALL the way up where its just obnoxiously loud anyways.

Moving on..

I got a chance to EQ my sub if your read my previous posts. I think its is good as its going to get without another 5-6 EQ points, or another sub to try and pick up some of the slack. It falls off ~4 dbs from 60-80hz, but if I try and and EQ any of those points, with the limited number of eq points the NU1000 has, Id have to give up the EQ on the low ened and loose the boost in the 20-30HZ range to make the low end flat. As it sits right now while its not completely flat my subs SPL in the 20-80HZ range where it crosses over is pretty linear While not dead flat on 85DB, it never falls off or spikes to hard and everything is pretty close to the 85DB.. i have eliminated any harsh dips or spikes, and playing test tones sounds natural and linear as it increases, I cant really here any audible drop off or spike in certain frequencies like I could before the EQ, and even with my old RW-12D..

The wife took the kiddo to the store last night so I fired up The Avengers quick, the LFE sounds great in this movie IMO. I cranked my system up to a modest -15DB (Usually listen to movies around -20 with the wife, but she wasnt there tongue.gif) and at first I felt a little let down by the sub but there is probably a good reason for that, keep in mind this is the first time I really had it cranked and listened to it too. My RW-12D was loud, but there was a reason for that.. it wasn't loud across all frequencies.. it had serious spikes in certain frequenices and dips in other, so I always ran it a bit on the hot side.. and it seemed all movies picked those frequencies that were really loud, and my house would be shaking..

Now I have my Ultimax, which is EQ'ed and compared to my RW-12D, it mine as well be a completely flat curve from 18-80HZ..biggrin.gif

When I realized this, and as I was watching the movie, listening for the bass... I realized that it had more impact.. while it dident have the loud WOW OMG WTF IS HAPPENING Factor because lets say 40HZ had a spike 10db's higher than everything else like my RW-12D had. I felt my body shake, I felt like everytime the bas **** while it did not make my ears bleed, or my house completely shake, I could feel it in my chest.. everything had an authoritative kick to it. It never overpowered the speakers, it never felt like when a guy punched another that the earth was comming to an end.. it suddenly made things feel more believable. And the detail, oh my lord the detail, compared to the RW-12D I was just amazed at how good the sub sounded. While the klipsch felt like it would just make boom boom and knock **** off my shelves, this all of the sudden quickly punches.. i never feel like the sub is making more noise than it should, like theres a drone or echo from the loud note it had just played..

This sub still gets loud, and will shake my house, but it did take a minute to get used to how smooth it sounds without the dips and spikes in certain frequncies that I had before.. but its WONDERFUL not having any more quiet to OMG WTF WHY IS THAT SO LOUD when an explosion happens

post #70 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

How big is your listening space? Sorry if you've mentioned this already. Just remember that you haven't really given it time to break-in. This should further improve the sound quality and loudness by a bit.

If you're getting the clip lights easily, then perhaps you've boosted the lower end a bit too much. I would think that boosting too much around 20Hz may be the first thing to cause early clip lights.

post #71 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

How big is your listening space? Sorry if you've mentioned this already. Just remember that you haven't really given it time to break-in. This should further improve the sound quality and loudness by a bit.

If you're getting the clip lights easily, then perhaps you've boosted the lower end a bit too much. I would think that boosting too much around 20Hz may be the first thing to cause early clip lights.

Thats what maybe I was thinking, trying to put a lot of power into that low end.. and my room is aroudn 2200cubic feet

but i was keeping an eye on them during some heavy real bass heavy scenes at -15DB and they may have flickered once or twice.. but I did not hear any distortion from the sub. I havent really looked but I think the threshold for the clip lights is adjustable depending, and I think its just set really low regardless, they never stay on or really hit hard, they just get a quick flicker

post #72 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Thats what maybe I was thinking, trying to put a lot of power into that low end.. and my room is aroudn 2200cubic feet

but i was keeping an eye on them during some heavy real bass heavy scenes at -15DB and they may have flickered once or twice.. but I did not hear any distortion from the sub. I havent really looked but I think the threshold for the clip lights is adjustable depending, and I think its just set really low regardless, they never stay on or really hit hard, they just get a quick flicker

I don't believe clipping is as damaging to subs as it is to tweeters or midrange drivers. It's still not good, but unless you're hearing horrible noises, it's probably ok to clip every now and then. (Just not too often?) But it sounds like you're having light clipping.

I've hard clipped once, for about 5 seconds because I couldn't turn the volume down fast enough, and didn't think to hit mute. Ha. Scared me pretty bad to see bright red lights blinking at me, but the sub just kept on pounding away with no issues.

I have about a 2400 cu ft room and at first I was a bit dissapointed in my sub's performance. I went from a Bic F12 to my current 18" HO, and at first I didn't understand what I was doing wrong as it just didn't sound that much different than the Bic. Of course it hit much lower, but between 30 and 80Hz, it all sounded the same. Until I turned them both up and realized that the Bic only sounded decent at low volumes, and the Dayton sounded good at low, medium, and high volumes. After a few weeks of normal listening I noticed my sub sounded even cleaner than when I first heard it. It also seems to move a bit more and pound easier. It's definitely loosened up a bit.

post #73 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh ive heard this sub clip.. when I first started messing with it and dident have it eq'ed.. not hearing any at all.. I don't think its clipping to be honest.. I think the threshold is just set a little low

post #74 of 76 Old 03-20-2014, 04:31 AM

Liked: 10
Shady, i am sorry for jumping into an old thread. It is a pretty nice setup you have.

You speak about that you have a smooth FR downn to 18Hz. As you use a sealed box did you have to use equilization to get that low or it is the "natural" repsonse of your box?
post #75 of 76 Old 03-20-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 149
In a 2200 cuft room with a single Utilimax 15 in a sealed enclosure, I would expect you to be a little underwhelmed, and although I am sure it's better than the RW12D , I would have advised you to go with a ported enclosure instead of a sealed enclosure as with a ported enclosure using the UM15 you would be blown away! For people just running one sub in a medium sized room, I would never recommend sealed as you are loosing so much versus a ported sub around the tuning frequency. This advantage is substantial when using only one sub. So my recommendation would be to either build a new ported enclosure, or add another sealed enclosure, or just ditch my advice and be happy with what you got! smile.gif
post #76 of 76 Old 06-15-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Shady,

Why did you choose the DIY enclosure over the PE enclosure?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page