post #901 of 1029 Old 02-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Just went 9" deep with some punk fluffy.

IMG_20131013_160929_zpsae4cd932.jpg

Did you re&re the fluffy yet?
Would you have any suggestions for a guy with 30" to work with behind his towers?
I wonder about taking 24" pink, cutting it in half lengthwise and stacking 12" from the rear wall.
I'm all ears...

I think I can, I think I can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1029 Old 02-07-2014, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post

Did you re&re the fluffy yet?
Would you have any suggestions for a guy with 30" to work with behind his towers?
I wonder about taking 24" pink, cutting it in half lengthwise and stacking 12" from the rear wall.
I'm all ears...

The pink fluffy I bought had a 16" width. I didn't realize they sold it in 24" width.

I'm no acoustician, but taking the 16" width pink fluffy, cutting it in 24" lengths and stacking it like bricks would be an incredible bass trap!

If I had the room I would love to do something like that on my front and rear walls...

Still have a ton more to learn about acoustics and treatments in general though.
enterthedragon likes this.

post #903 of 1029 Old 02-07-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

The pink fluffy I bought had a 16" width. I didn't realize they sold it in 24" width.

I'm no acoustician, but taking the 16" width pink fluffy, cutting it in 24" lengths and stacking it like bricks would be an incredible bass trap!

If I had the room I would love to do something like that on my front and rear walls...

Still have a ton more to learn about acoustics and treatments in general though.

Will fluffy be dense enough though even if you add more? Really would like to know.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #904 of 1029 Old 02-07-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

Will fluffy be dense enough though even if you add more? Really would like to know.

Bob knows a bit more about this stuff than I do.

Check out his consolidated list on Absorption Coefficients. You should be able to get a general idea of how effective a particular product will be at "x" frequency from this list.

Near the bottom of the webpage you will come across this statement:
Quote:
In all cases if you have less than 4" you use rigid, if you have 8" or more you use fluffy, unless you need rigid for structure.

With that said, stacking 24" x 16" strips of pink fluffy in a brick like structure would probably be the most awesome absorption I've ever heard of.... I mean I don't know of anyone else that has contemplated going 24" deep in pink fluffy! Well, maybe for some bass traps, but never across their front stage (which is what we are talking about in your case, right?)

There are many many others more knowledgeable on the subject (Ethan, LTD02, FOH, Bosso, etc...) and maybe they will weigh in for you?

Or you could cruise over to the Acoustical Treatment Master Thread and start doing some digging. I found this post regarding thickness and resistance in relation to reflection and transmission that you might find interesting and pertinent to your question.

post #905 of 1029 Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Check out his consolidated list on Absorption Coefficients. You should be able to get a general idea of how effective a particular product will be at "x" frequency from this list.

With that said, stacking 24" x 16" strips of pink fluffy in a brick like structure would probably be the most awesome absorption I've ever heard of.... I mean I don't know of anyone else that has contemplated going 24" deep in pink fluffy! Well, maybe for some bass traps, but never across their front stage (which is what we are talking about in your case, right?)

There are many many others more knowledgeable on the subject (Ethan, LTD02, FOH, Bosso, etc...) and maybe they will weigh in for you?

Or you could cruise over to the Acoustical Treatment Master Thread and start doing some digging. I found this post regarding thickness and resistance in relation to reflection and transmission that you might find interesting and pertinent to your question.

Thanks, I'll read up some more asap.
These will be my first traps in my first enclosed dedicated room.
I like the potential of the idea, whether 24" against the wall or some combination of 4/6/8" gap + 4/6/8" batt+ 4/6/8"gap + 4/6/8" batt + 4/6/8" to speaker...any combination really.
My rear wall will be somewhat limited but if I can gain 4 or more inches in the front I'll likely copy the idea at the back.
This is a crazy expensive hobby.

I think I can, I think I can
post #906 of 1029 Old 02-07-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 91
Quote:

Oh I agree that pink fluffy does a great job of grabbing noise. When finishing our basement and before the drywall went up, all the insulation was "exposed". It was crazy quiet. Almost the the point where I had to leave the room because it was so unsettling. My more curious question was in the lower frequencies. The link you provided answers that very clearly. So thanks!

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #907 of 1029 Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

Oh I agree that pink fluffy does a great job of grabbing noise. When finishing our basement and before the drywall went up, all the insulation was "exposed". It was crazy quiet. Almost the the point where I had to leave the room because it was so unsettling. My more curious question was in the lower frequencies. The link you provided answers that very clearly. So thanks!

Cool, glad it helped out. PM me a link if you decide document your pink fluffy exploits.

post #908 of 1029 Old 02-19-2014, 06:31 PM

Liked: 10
Any updates on your space?
post #909 of 1029 Old 03-28-2014, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0dVA View Post

Any updates on your space?

In a few weeks time.

post #910 of 1029 Old 03-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 813
I smell a secret group buy. tongue.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #911 of 1029 Old 03-28-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 163
"Sniff Sniff" lol

JBL Pro Cinema
post #912 of 1029 Old 03-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Either way I can't wait to hear what Austin is going to do with them. smile.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #913 of 1029 Old 03-28-2014, 03:04 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Umm, break things likely.....
popalock likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #914 of 1029 Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Me too excited to see.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #915 of 1029 Old 03-28-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Either way I can't wait to hear what Austin is going to do with them. smile.gif

You need to get your a$$ over the the eastcoast to "hear" for yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Umm, break things likely.....

First order of destruction...your house in the shadow build!

biggrin.gif

post #916 of 1029 Old 03-28-2014, 03:45 PM
The Truth Hz

Just set up the dcx2496 with the new settings, have to drag the rs232 cable out and upload everything and we should be rocking :scared: eh :Stoked:

post #917 of 1029 Old 03-29-2014, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just set up the dcx2496 with the new settings, have to drag the rs232 cable out and upload everything and we should be rocking :scared: eh :Stoked:

I'm going to bring along the ol miniDSP as well, just to do it... I don't trust your dinosaur DCX...

biggrin.gif...j/k.

post #918 of 1029 Old 03-30-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I'm going to bring along the ol miniDSP as well, just to do it... I don't trust your dinosaur DCX...

biggrin.gif...j/k.

IF you don't mind me asking how good is that minidsp
post #919 of 1029 Old 03-30-2014, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfredent View Post

IF you don't mind me asking how good is that minidsp

So good that I only use about 25% of it's capability and it does everything that I want it too....meaning, I should have totally got the 2x4 vs the 10x10HD. At least I don't see the need to upgrade my DSP unit anytime soon.

MiniDSP and REW/Omnimic combo is a very potent combination for the every day Home Theater nut!

post #920 of 1029 Old 03-31-2014, 06:40 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:

biggrin.gif...j/k.

Do it smile.gif I'll open a rack spot for it. My darn serial cable wouldn't connect to the laptop as the drivers I had for it apparently are corrupt. I ended up manually adding the filters, and how it is time to work on the delays.

post #921 of 1029 Old 03-31-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do it smile.gif I'll open a rack spot for it. My darn serial cable wouldn't connect to the laptop as the drivers I had for it apparently are corrupt. I ended up manually adding the filters, and how it is time to work on the delays.

Ok, I'll be sure to pack it up. Man, I'm hoping to have my laptop back in my possession by then. Wife tripped over the power cord and broke the power input receptical.

If not, I might have to get you (or someone else) to download my plug-in on their laptop.

My wife always seems to time my equipment malfunctions perfectly...right before get togethers...lol

post #922 of 1029 Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 AM
The Truth Hz

Haha, "tripped."

I have my laptop at our disposal for whatever smile.gif

post #923 of 1029 Old 03-31-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

Haha, "tripped."

I have my laptop at our disposal for whatever smile.gif

hahaha...that's what I was thinking! "another gtg huh hunny....how will that go without your lapt...oops, I think it's broken biggrin.gif

I keep trying to tell my wife I was supposed to be in Vegas next week and this trip is much less expensive/dangerous...I'm not sure how true that is though...8x24z, some 18z, maybe some SH50s.... biggrin.gif Had to give her a small shopping spree this week to grease the wheels
popalock likes this.

post #924 of 1029 Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

So good that I only use about 25% of it's capability and it does everything that I want it too....meaning, I should have totally got the 2x4 vs the 10x10HD. At least I don't see the need to upgrade my DSP unit anytime soon.

MiniDSP and REW/Omnimic combo is a very potent combination for the every day Home Theater nut!

Am thinking off getting the DSP1 2000 WATTS
FOR MY Re Audio xxx 15
post #925 of 1029 Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Had to give her a small shopping spree this week to grease the wheels

biggrin.gif too funny

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #926 of 1029 Old 03-31-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

In a few weeks time.

Oh man, you had better not have your insurance company look at your setup (or have lots of good grille cloth). They will drop you like a bad habit if they see those 'seismic generators' in plain view....

JSS
popalock likes this.
post #927 of 1029 Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

In a few weeks time.

HAHAHA! YESSS! I know that I wasn't the only one to declare this as your upgrade path! How many are you adding? eek.gifsmile.gif
popalock likes this.

post #928 of 1029 Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

Oh man, you had better not have your insurance company look at your setup (or have lots of good grille cloth). They will drop you like a bad habit if they see those 'seismic generators' in plain view....

JSS

smile.gif

Noted. I'll be sure to hide them from my insurance company...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post

HAHAHA! YESSS! I know that I wasn't the only one to declare this as your upgrade path! How many are you adding? eek.gifsmile.gif

Just two of them. I felt compelled to jump on them before the damn price increase. Really Ricci could have gotten ahold of one to send it through the gauntlet, but I really like SI's 18's, and having seen this 24" in action already (free air) it was literally too fun to pass up!

I got an email from SI this morning indicating that the price was going to increase tomorrow, but I think yesterday was the last day before the price change.

post #929 of 1029 Old 04-01-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:

Ok, I'll be sure to pack it up. Man, I'm hoping to have my laptop back in my possession by then. Wife tripped over the power cord and broke the power input receptical.

If not, I might have to get you (or someone else) to download my plug-in on their laptop.

My wife always seems to time my equipment malfunctions perfectly...right before get togethers...lol

I will bring mine and I've already got the 10x10 plugin. smile.gif Let me know man.

post #930 of 1029 Old 04-01-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

I will bring mine and I've already got the 10x10 plugin. smile.gif Let me know man.

Man, that would be awesome... I would appreciate it for sure.

I know we will have ample power on tap, but maybe you could bring a clone as well *cough-for me to buy-*cough*cough*. so we can ensure we have ample power for the pair of 24's!

Holler at your boy tonight.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page