Hey multi-sub dudes... - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
So I have been messing around with Audyssey and my DCX measuring my system. Right now I am getting a very fine flat response with all my subs basically going from side wall to side wall under the front stage. I have all 8 18SI's running, but I am doing two D.O. cabs per channel right now. and doing Audyssey subEQ with it EQing each channel seperately. Essentially, the two outside boxes on a channel is one sub, and the two inside boxes are the other sub. So far it sounds pretty good, but I didn't know if any of ya'll have found it to be more beneficial just eqing the entire setup as a single sub?? We have had these discussion a little before, but I wanted to make a thread that is dedicated on this and shows some results of other's systems smile.gif

I might try to run mine all as one sub, as right now, there is no additional delay on my DCX, and a very simple L/T setup with no additional EQing. I am quite glad I get the FR I want with everything up front, but thought maybe having them all "As-one" might help clean up the time domain some (or could it hurt it?) who knows? How do I measure? waterfall?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I would anticipate good results as such. Just try it, and see if my prediction holds true.

Within the next few days here I should have my new theater up to full tilt (finally).
I've been subwoofer-less for 4 months now and I'm showing heavy signs of withdrawls. biggrin.gif
post #3 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Generally since all the subs are playing the same signal they should be EQ-ed as one. Audyssey SubEQ if you read the description does just that, it first sets the level and delay for each sub in a 2 sub set-up then EQ's them as one channel which they are. Here is a link to Audyssey saying as much but I know there was a section were Chris from Audyssey makes it more clear: http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/sub-eq-ht

Delay or phase is important to get right for each sub separately if they are not co-located as well as levels. Setting an LT or just low end boost via PEQ for sealed sub separately is OK as well if the subs are different, if they are the same then a global LT is fine. We all know that multiple subs help to minimize room modes so it is best to get them working together as well as possible with delay and placement then apply EQ to the LFE system as a whole if it is needed at all. EQ should be the last thing applied, proper delay (phase) and room placement will generally yield better results and sometimes negate the need for EQ.
zheka likes this.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #4 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

That is where I am basically Mj, the response is quite good with no eq, and anything I adjust on the DCX, I do identically between both channels. I have no EQ filters on one that are not on the other. The delay and such that is being used is none really right now, just what Audyssey figures out once I run it...I have never had much luck setting the delays individually since one "Sub" is the two corner boxes and the other "sub" is the two boxes sitting right beside them interior. The good news is they are all each equidistant from me from their matching brother, so delay between the two cabinets per channel should be about the same, it is just the delay between the two channels that would need to be different, right?

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #5 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

If the subs are equidistant for the MLP then no delay would be needed. The only thing that would make a difference, even if they were the same distance from the MLP, is if one is on the front wall and the other is on the back wall. I know in my room I have to reverse the polarity of my back subs, if not then they will cancel out since they are firing at each other.

So how does the 8 pack compare to all the other subs you have had in the past?

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #6 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
I have nothing to add other than to mirror what's been said already.

However.... I love what you're doing. smile.gif

Rock on!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #7 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

If the subs are equidistant for the MLP then no delay would be needed. The only thing that would make a difference, even if they were the same distance from the MLP, is if one is on the front wall and the other is on the back wall. I know in my room I have to reverse the polarity of my back subs, if not then they will cancel out since they are firing at each other.

So how does the 8 pack compare to all the other subs you have had in the past?

Well, that is the thing, the two outside subs that are on one channel are about 12 feet away, and the two inside boxes on the other channel are about 10-11 feet away, so do you think there would even need to be separate delays between the two? I think I am beating a dead horse somewhat but the time domain is something I know is very important, even though my FR is pretty much dead flat...minus that little cliff I still have but have made slight progress on...

So far the 8-pack is just killing it for everything. I have to say for rock, the dual 4648's could just go SOOOO hard for that midbass slam, but the SI's aren't far behind and they definitely take the cake down low of anything so far, even the pair of RE's. I know it takes a lot more, but I have 8 for the price of a few $100 more than an single RE, and I don't need that additional FP14k to get me there biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Awesome!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I have nothing to add other than to mirror what's been said already.

However.... I love what you're doing. smile.gif

Rock on!

Man, I just have fun screwing around, especially those dozen times where after I have sat down and demoed out what I did, I feel like ive hit the sweet spot, only to go back a few weeks later and start figuring out how to make it better again smile.gif That right there I am pretty sure will never stop either!!! haha....Tweaking for life!!!!!

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #8 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Well once you've got the 80hz and down part all figured out .... then you can start all over with some crazy, over-the-top active mains! biggrin.gifcool.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #9 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Well, that is the thing, the two outside subs that are on one channel are about 12 feet away, and the two inside boxes on the other channel are about 10-11 feet away, so do you think there would even need to be separate delays between the two? I think I am beating a dead horse somewhat but the time domain is something I know is very important, even though my FR is pretty much dead flat...minus that little cliff I still have but have made slight progress on...

That close I don't think it would make much difference, any slight difference would be taken care of by Audyssey anyway, did it measure the distances correct?

I think all you need to do now is kick back and enjoy your killer system.

post #10 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Well once you've got the 80hz and down part all figured out .... then you can start all over with some crazy, over-the-top active mains! biggrin.gifcool.gif

Haha, man yea, and the Sunfire 7401 due to arrive tomorrow will let me bi-amp with a more "tubish" sound for the mids/highs, while having a more "powerful" low end driver for whatever is handling that smile.gif Not sure how much of that is snake oil but it is a Carver design and I REALLY like that cat biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Quote:

That close I don't think it would make much difference, any slight difference would be taken care of by Audyssey anyway, did it measure the distances correct?

I think all you need to do now is kick back and enjoy your killer system.

Oh don't worry, there has been plenty enjoyment so far! I still go back and mess around but I know where my system sounds the best and unless I find something better, I got back to where I was (assuming Audyssey's redo keeps me there which is 50/50)

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #11 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 270
"Time domain" in the bass? Time to learn some geometry...
Quote:

Haha, man yea, and the Sunfire 7401 due to arrive tomorrow will let me bi-amp with a more "tubish" sound for the mids/highs, while having a more "powerful" low end driver for whatever is handling that smile.gif Not sure how much of that is snake oil but it is a Carver design and I REALLY like that cat biggrin.gif

The "tube sound" taps just have a resistor behind them to muck up one's FR, just as the high output impedance of a tube amp does.

But that's an impressive amp besides the "tube sound" gimmick. All that power in a fairly small size, and NRTL safety certified.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #12 of 12 Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

Geometry? meh. Why would I want to do that again??? lol.

I will still experiment with it a shade, just to see what its all about smile.gif I am quite stoked to get it in the setup. Might be a slight upgrade from the xpa-5?

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page