Tritrix - done!! Choosing next build - Econowave old speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-16-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll try to be short - lol smile.gif

As my first full scale DIY project I've built myself a set of Tritrixes (TL left and right, ported center and surrounds).

The good part - I love the sound and I am glad that I've decided to go with "easier" design for my first project - I"ve learned so much in that time!

.. and the questionable part is - from one time "build and forget" deal it turned into hobby and now I cannot stop thinking about building next project - haha!!

I'v been reading about Econowave (waveguide) designs on this and other forums for quite some time now - and it looks really interesting and promising. I have a set of old Technics SB2660 speakers that I was thinking about "econowaving" smile.gif (I really like the looks of 12" white woofers}

Here's the part I'm not quite sure about.....

It'll cost me around $200 to upgrade this pair (<95db crossover, D220Ti-8 drivers and Pyle PH-612 waveguide)
If they'll sound as good or better that Tritrix - it'll go for it. (the low end should be better for sure).
... or maybe I just should save a bit more and go with Econowave Deluxe or Pi or Seos or something like that??

Oh yeah, and it's mostly for HT use. The room is 18x24 with vaulted ceiling and 2 big openings to the dining room and second floor. (not sure if it's considered a "big" room or not)

And here's some pictures of my Tritrix build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-16-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Very nice looking, especially the finish. What was the process on the finish?

Eqpmt: Denon AVR-4520CI, EP 4000's, Sony BDP-S5100, Old Rear Projection DLP. 

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 

On Deck: TD6M's/SEOS Surrounds x 6, Finalists (maybe)

post #3 of 6 Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
If this is for a home theater setup, what are you using for a sub-woofer? If you have the itch to build something else and you are happy with the 5 Tritrix you have now, a new DIY subwoofer may be your best investment.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

Very nice looking, especially the finish. What was the process on the finish?

Thanks! On L/C/R I've tried Kilz Orderless primer, Satin Latex and regular roller. It turned out so-so. Cannot say that I liked that primer. Though the big plus of going this way - I could do it inside without any problems.
With surrounds, I used Zinsser BIN - liked it much more. ... then after some sanding - oil based enamel with small foam roller.

That's about it.

Oh, I had some old really thick plastic veneer - so I"ve used it on top and bottom of center channel.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-16-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

If this is for a home theater setup, what are you using for a sub-woofer? If you have the itch to build something else and you are happy with the 5 Tritrix you have now, a new DIY subwoofer may be your best investment.

Yes, it is mostly for HT. As for sub - well, I'm almost done with it - just need to prime and paint the box smile.gif I'll make another "build" thread when I'm completely done with it.
.. and yes, I am happy with Tritrixes.. but I do want to be happier.. plus.. I have another tv that can use speakers in bedroom - lol.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Your tritrix builds look really good. Nice work.

A SEOS build would be good. I built some econowave Sr speakers to use as pa speakers and I liked them so much that they've been in my living room ever since. Now I am slowly building some seos / dna-360 / AE TD woofer speakers that look nicer to replace them. I built the center, and I really like the way it sounds, I think partly because the dna-360 CD is smoother-sounding than the d220ti.

-Max
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page