Niles Pro870FX surrounds. What are the odds of this beeing a decent speaker - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zheka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16


product details page

This probably belongs to a different forum but I figured here I'd have better chances of getting feedback from people whose opinion I value.

The speakers are sold now at heavy discount, around $360/pr. MSRP is over $2K (i know, i know) but I did see them listed at $1.6K.

Is there any chance they may be decent well designed surround speakers with solid quality components?

The specs and the feature set seem very attractive if it can be trusted. I do not know much about the company but my general sense is they mostly tailor to installers and are not prone to gimmicks and inflated specs to the extend commonly seen in the retail market.

What do you think?
zheka is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka View Post

Is there any chance they may be decent well designed surround speakers with solid quality components?
It's easy enough to find out, look at the polar response charts.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #3 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zheka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
right.
the polars, or any FR measurements for that matter, are not available which is not a good sign.

I did find some tests of the smaller version, with 7" woofer. not very promising. it can only reach 85dB @ 80H @ 2m before hitting 10% THD. the 8" may do better but I am not sure they can keep up with my mains
zheka is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka View Post

right.
the polars, or any FR measurements for that matter, are not available which is not a good sign.
As I oft repeat, there are only two reasons for a manufacturer not having response charts: either they don't have any, or they don't want you to see them. In this case the polars are just as important as response, since the intent of the speaker is to have a very wide and uniform dispersion pattern. Just from looking at the driver placement I believe polars would reveal serious lobing and comb filtering throughout the mids and highs. IME the best way to get a very wide and uniform dispersion pattern is with a standard two way cab aimed up at the ceiling from a few inches below it.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #5 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zheka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
thank you Bill
zheka is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 3,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
zheka, i noticed those Niles when i was shopping for some onwall surrounds. i ended up buying some JBL 8330's off fleabay. i painted them the same color as the wall (primer and paint with foam roller) and mounted them with an aluminum french cleat i bought from Lowes. i think they are great surrounds.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
brian6751 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zheka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

zheka, i noticed those Niles when i was shopping for some onwall surrounds. i ended up buying some JBL 8330's off fleabay. i painted them the same color as the wall (primer and paint with foam roller) and mounted them with an aluminum french cleat i bought from Lowes. i think they are great surrounds.

I just wanted to see how good dipole would work in my set up.

The room is only 12' wide. The side seats are at most 2 feet away from the walls. Do you think JBL 8330 is worth trying in my situation?
zheka is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Thatsnasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka View Post

I just wanted to see how good dipole would work in my set up.

The room is only 12' wide. The side seats are at most 2 feet away from the walls. Do you think JBL 8330 is worth trying in my situation?

My room is only 10 feet by like 12 feet and I have the 8340's as surrounds.
they are 96db 1w/m within 1db of the 4pi's..... I found them cheap locally or I probably would have got the 8330's.
Great sounding speakers..
Thatsnasty is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zheka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsnasty View Post

My room is only 10 feet by like 12 feet and I have the 8340's as surrounds.
they are 96db 1w/m within 1db of the 4pi's..... I found them cheap locally or I probably would have got the 8330's.
Great sounding speakers..

I'll watch out for these, thank you. I've been using SHO-10 as surrounds. They are doing okay, I am just curious how would the whole diffused sound field thing would compare.
zheka is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Thatsnasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka View Post

I'll watch out for these, thank you. I've been using SHO-10 as surrounds. They are doing okay, I am just curious how would the whole diffused sound field thing would compare.

Aren't the SHO-10 high efficiency with a horn too? They seem pretty similar to the 8340's....
Also sorry to be off topic, but did you get the e-mail from Wayne regarding the 4Pi change? I just got the resistors in the mail.
Thatsnasty is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 3,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Here is a shot of one of my 8330's. don't mind the missing trim work. I'm still finishing my basement.


Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
brian6751 is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zheka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsnasty View Post

Aren't the SHO-10 high efficiency with a horn too? They seem pretty similar to the 8340's....
right. i want to experiment with more diffused sound this time.
Quote:
Also sorry to be off topic, but did you get the e-mail from Wayne regarding the 4Pi change? I just got the resistors in the mail.

yes, I did. have not acted on it yet. I am glad the upgrade is cheap and easy to apply. He had some interim versions that were much more complicated.
zheka is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zheka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Here is a shot of one of my 8330's. don't mind the missing trim work. I'm still finishing my basement.


looks great!
zheka is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 3,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
i sat about 2 feet from one for a little bit and i think they sound great even that close. that one is 1 foot further from the seats than the one on the right. the sound is dispersed very well IMO.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
brian6751 is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 05-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Member
 
mythrenegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I asked a friend who sells and installs av systems, and he said his cost on the pro870fx was normally $1800 and that he had installed them before.

I absolutely love them. I am using them in a dipole configuration, which sounded better to my ears. By far the best option available at the price point.

The only downside is that my wife was NOT amused at the size. Didn't even think to ask :-)

Joel
mythrenegade is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off