AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsl1 View Post

Updates:

Sounds great so far. Need to play with room placement and actually EQ. Right now just running Ricci's base EQ + Audyssey is set to whatever my DTS-10 needed with the exception of levels being set. Playing with positioning is a pain as they weigh approximately one million pounds and I have to pull down some of the false wall to get them behind the screen without knowing if that position is even going to work.

Music is phenomenally clean and powerful. Watched Black Hawk Down and the power is certainly there, just needs EQ for sure in my room.

What do you have for mains?
post #123 of 165 Old 04-22-2013, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Holy ****!!!!

My DTS-10 sucks compared to one of these.... Will get both running in a bit!

Can you expand on the above statement. What aspects is it better in?
The DTS-10 has cured my craving for bass but I've had it for a few years now and if the GH is that much better maybe I'll build one.
post #124 of 165 Old 04-22-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

What do you have for mains?

Seos12 with deltalites for front three.
post #125 of 165 Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapet View Post

Can you expand on the above statement. What aspects is it better in?
The DTS-10 has cured my craving for bass but I've had it for a few years now and if the GH is that much better maybe I'll build one.

The DTS-10 is a great sub that goes low and loud. However, you can tell there is distortion especially between 25-60hz (the audible stuff). It wasn't clear until I had something to compare it to. I always feel silly pulling adjectives out to try and describe the sound of a speaker but the Ghorn is just so crisp and clean. I can't wait to have them EQ'ed.

DTS-10 Distortion Measurements:

Ghorn Distortion Measurements: (Note it's much higher SPL as well - at 115db everything is below ~5% THD)

post #126 of 165 Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can get by crossing the GH at 60hz, that along with Ricci's basic EQ is pretty much all you need. You definitely need to re-run Audyssey, if anything just to get the distance settings correct. I think my receiver set my sub distance to 26.7 feet. With my sealed setup the distance was around 14ft.

Are the cabinets for your mains vented or sealed?
post #127 of 165 Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you can get by crossing the GH at 60hz, that along with Ricci's basic EQ is pretty much all you need. You definitely need to re-run Audyssey, if anything just to get the distance settings correct. I think my receiver set my sub distance to 26.7 feet. With my sealed setup the distance was around 14ft.

Sealed so they only go down to 80hz. As I mentioned earlier I was thinking about moving the 3 SEOS12's I have to the back and adding another for 7.1. Then building a newer front three that I could cross at 60hz. I am not sure what those new front's would be. SEOS Sentinals or CornScala's maybe? I could try a SEOS 15 design with the BE750 CD and a ported 15inch driver.
post #128 of 165 Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sealed so they only go down to 80hz. As I mentioned earlier I was thinking about moving the 3 SEOS12's I have to the back and adding another for 7.1. Then building a newer front three that I could cross at 60hz. I am not sure what those new front's would be. SEOS Sentinals or CornScala's maybe? I could try a SEOS 15 design with the BE750 CD and a ported 15inch driver.

I've been thinking about the Sentinals myself as well.
post #129 of 165 Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been thinking about the Sentinals myself as well.

That and a MTM with the SEOS-15, BA750, and dual ported 15s.
post #130 of 165 Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Both would be great options. I wonder how much nicer the BA750 is then the DNA360.
post #131 of 165 Old 04-24-2013, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Got an Audyssey MultEQ XT32 receiver. Building a cabinet for all the equipment and then calibration time starts.
post #132 of 165 Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Can you manually set the subs distance? IIRC there's more than 12.7ft of path length inside that horn. The correct distance setting should be the distance to the sub, plus the path length inside the horn. Audyssey might be confused by the back wave from the driver?
post #133 of 165 Old 04-24-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71 View Post

Can you manually set the subs distance? IIRC there's more than 12.7ft of path length inside that horn. The correct distance setting should be the distance to the sub, plus the path length inside the horn. Audyssey might be confused by the back wave from the driver?

I'd still trust the Audyssey measurement. It's taking other things into consideration. Plus is the placement the same?
post #134 of 165 Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the horn path is like 22ft? Plus, the miniDSP adds something like 1.5ms to the delay, so that's another couple feet.

Quote:

I'd still trust the Audyssey measurement. It's taking other things into consideration. Plus is the placement the same?

I could tell the second I turned the sub on that the distance needed to be increased. Distance is pretty much the only thing I use Audyssey for because it's very accurate in that respect.
post #135 of 165 Old 04-24-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I built a tapped horn about four years ago and I experimented with the delay settings and it always sounded best when I set it up to take into account the path length. My receiver is old and doesn't have Audyssey though. In any case, It should be a pretty easy thing to try.
post #136 of 165 Old 04-24-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I built a tapped horn about four years ago and I experimented with the delay settings and it always sounded best when I set it up to take into account the path length. My receiver is old and doesn't have Audyssey though. In any case, It should be a pretty easy thing to try.

Interesting. Going to play with audyssey tonight and will see what it gives me.
post #137 of 165 Old 04-24-2013, 05:26 PM

Just got back from work and found this guy waiting for me.

I may have gotten slightly carried away with pictures...

post #138 of 165 Old 04-24-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 56
What is that cute tiny little speaker? biggrin.gif
post #139 of 165 Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

What is that cute tiny little speaker? biggrin.gif
It's a 2" neo driver, I'm guessing a Vifa. Cute, right? I thought it would make for a nice juxtaposition. smile.gif
The other woofers in the shots are 15, 10 and 6 inches for reference.
post #140 of 165 Old 04-29-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The DTS-10 is a great sub that goes low and loud. However, you can tell there is distortion especially between 25-60hz (the audible stuff). It wasn't clear until I had something to compare it to. I always feel silly pulling adjectives out to try and describe the sound of a speaker but the Ghorn is just so crisp and clean. I can't wait to have them EQ'ed.

DTS-10 Distortion Measurements:

Ghorn Distortion Measurements: (Note it's much higher SPL as well - at 115db everything is below ~5% THD)

I wonder how that would compare to my dts 10 with the lmsr upgrade. They sure sound much cleaner too over a stock dts 10.
post #141 of 165 Old 04-29-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Moved both behind the screen:

Pulling DTS-1 Out:

Ghorn in:

post #142 of 165 Old 04-29-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I got one of my G-horns up and running tonight. I do have to admit, Although it's really good, it didn't give me the "OMFG" I was hoping for. I know this has to do with already having a crazy amount of bass to begin with but i dunno. I'm gonna play with the EQ and all setup in the next few days and hopefully get my second one up and running soon.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #143 of 165 Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I got one of my G-horns up and running tonight. I do have to admit, Although it's really good, it didn't give me the "OMFG" I was hoping for. I know this has to do with already having a crazy amount of bass to begin with but i dunno. I'm gonna play with the EQ and all setup in the next few days and hopefully get my second one up and running soon.

Really, that surprises me. I'm still wanting to do a TH or FLH with a 21 and would hate to not be blown away. Take some measurements and let us know how it compares to your other subs.
post #144 of 165 Old 04-30-2013, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Really, that surprises me. I'm still wanting to do a TH or FLH with a 21 and would hate to not be blown away. Take some measurements and let us know how it compares to your other subs.

Someone should design a FLH or TH (preferably FLH size permitting although the size concern might make a TH mandatory) of the FTW since they are back in production.
post #145 of 165 Old 04-30-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeah, let us know after you have both positioned and eq'ed.

What were you upgrading from?
post #146 of 165 Old 04-30-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're using the UXL driver, correct?

I'm interested to see some measurements, as i think you're the first to use this driver in the GH.
post #147 of 165 Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post

Someone should design a FLH or TH (preferably FLH size permitting although the size concern might make a TH mandatory) of the FTW since they are back in production.

I am pretty sure it has been said already that the FTW does not have enough motor for the TH or FLH, but I could be wrong. LTD, I think, had a 21" horn design but not sure whatever happened to that one. Seems like extreme spl 20hz would be as low as you would want to go to keep size down. Worked for DSL in the TH221. I still wish I could hear a pair of those subs.

So who has the Othorn?

Was trying to also hear their impressions also.
post #148 of 165 Old 04-30-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

I am pretty sure it has been said already that the FTW does not have enough motor for the TH or FLH, but I could be wrong. LTD, I think, had a 21" horn design but not sure whatever happened to that one. Seems like extreme spl 20hz would be as low as you would want to go to keep size down. Worked for DSL in the TH221. I still wish I could hear a pair of those subs.

So who has the Othorn?

Was trying to also hear their impressions also.

Dom is finishing up his. Got the driver in last week. Just finishing up the enclosure. Think he was aiming to have it done this weekend. We cruised through the Ghorns but didn't cut everything for the Othorn.
post #149 of 165 Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

What were you already running? If you are comparing one GH to multiple other subs with high powered 18's and 15's yeah it isn't going to blow them away with one driver no matter what enclosure it is in.
post #150 of 165 Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post

I have plans for both a FLH and TH for the Mal 21s. The FLH models better but drops off aprox 25hz where the TH was mid/upper teens.

The thread was TH help please. AVS member Soho designed the FLH and I had a lot of help designing the TH.

I would think that the FTW would work in either design but one would need to plug the numbers to double check.

The FLH uses a sheet of 4x8 per left and right side with some of it cut out of course. Will post pic of it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1305978/th-help-please/180
Scroll down on this page for pics. Modeling is on page 5 I believe.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page