What amp for 2-4 UXL-18's? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 401
520? eek.gif That's enough to power two large outdoor rock concerts, simultaneously. Who buys that many, like ever? That's quite the threshold to maintain an active/busy/operating business, that can't be right, can it? eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 04-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmithers View Post

Hey Scott and others, just FYI, that's the fan that I ordered to try. The one carp measured after I sold to him that you said "wasn't much of a fan mod". It's quieter than stock but not by much.

It was the quietest one in stock of that size and voltage. So I don't know, man. *shrugs* I'm going for it.

I'm going to have a rack of about 10 amps with fans so every decibel down counts. tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

520? eek.gif That's enough to power two large outdoor rock concerts, simultaneously. Who buys that many, like ever? That's quite the threshold to maintain an active/busy/operating business, that can't be right, can it? eek.gif

Lol! I think they supply OEMs so some company will order that much to build ....ummm....lots of stuff.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #33 of 50 Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Check out the Crest 4000, Crown XLS 5000, QSC 5050, or CV 5000. All are available (the Crown, used at this point) between 5-$1000 and are almost certainly more reliable than the clones and come with warranties and a myriad of repair outlets in the US, if needed.

Lacking the ability to run stereo 2 ohm loads, the reliability issues, no warranty, and the ethical reasoning, I find the clones to be less and less compelling, but that's just me.

Even the REAL Lab Gruppens have been benched to show they don't meet their full spec (no, I don't have a link atm, but check google, it's easy to find), so I seriously doubt these clones do, either. And all for (maybe depending on the config) a few dbs of output?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but people can reach their own conclusions.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #34 of 50 Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Fair enough. Fwiw I did have success volt modding those Sunon's, no startup issues down to about 15V which was as low as I had resistors to try before selling to carp. Didn't get to do an extended test for how it impacted temperature, my gut instinct says not much unless you're running sine waves into clipping for hours.
post #35 of 50 Old 04-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Check out the Crest 4000, Crown XLS 5000, QSC 5050, or CV 5000. All are available (the Crown, used at this point) between 5-$1000 and are almost certainly more reliable than the clones and come with warranties and a myriad of repair outlets in the US, if needed.

Lacking the ability to run stereo 2 ohm loads, the reliability issues, no warranty, and the ethical reasoning, I find the clones to be less and less compelling, but that's just me.

Even the REAL Lab Gruppens have been benched to show they don't meet their full spec (no, I don't have a link atm, but check google, it's easy to find), so I seriously doubt these clones do, either. And all for (maybe depending on the config) a few dbs of output?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but people can reach their own conclusions.

James

The real 'sell' for the LG amps is that they not only have fantastic extension to 2-3hz but have lots of dynamic power headroom on tap for deep bass transients. They will deliver rated power for a very brief period but no, they are not RMS type amps.

Like you though, even I am not comfortable with the clone experience to try one at this point. I might later on but after I have proper amps for backup.
Quote:

Fair enough. Fwiw I did have success volt modding those Sunon's, no startup issues down to about 15V which was as low as I had resistors to try before selling to carp. Didn't get to do an extended test for how it impacted temperature, my gut instinct says not much unless you're running sine waves into clipping for hours.

Thanks! Keep us up to date on any other modifications you try. Or post up what ya got now. biggrin.gif

If I don't like the results I can try your method. Temperature will not be an issue for me.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #36 of 50 Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

The real 'sell' for the LG amps is that they not only have fantastic extension to 2-3hz but have lots of dynamic power headroom on tap for deep bass transients. They will deliver rated power for a very brief period but no, they are not RMS type amps.

Like you though, even I am not comfortable with the clone experience to try one at this point. I might later on but after I have proper amps for backup.
Thanks! Keep us up to date on any other modifications you try. Or post up what ya got now. biggrin.gif

If I don't like the results I can try your method. Temperature will not be an issue for me.

2-3hz, seriously, lol? The QSC, Crown, and Crest are only good to around 4, so I guess they're out. tongue.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

And I believe they all offer 2-3dbs of dyn headroom (~5,000 w's), so I'd bet they're still WAY up there in the output and dynamics depts.

I'd be willing to bet it all means perhaps a few dbs in the end, and like you and I, everyone is able to make a decision as they see fit.

Good luck to the OP, whatever he decides.

James
Dank1209 likes this.

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #37 of 50 Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'm pretty much settled on a CV5000. It seems to be the right combination of power and price.
post #38 of 50 Old 04-05-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There is also the QSC 5050, but it's twice the price of the CV. But you can find refurbished ones for around $1K.
post #39 of 50 Old 04-05-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still hoping to get the CV5000 on sale at Guitar Center for $700 or so. $1,000 is too much for me.
post #40 of 50 Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel975 View Post

I'm still hoping to get the CV5000 on sale at Guitar Center for $700 or so. $1,000 is too much for me.

$1,000?!? I just bought mine on Amazon for $800 and it even had Prime shipping. Also, there are several on eBay going for $800.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #41 of 50 Old 04-05-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I believe he's referring to the QSC 5050 referbs smile.gif
post #42 of 50 Old 04-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Bass Enabler

Ohhh

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #43 of 50 Old 04-05-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71 View Post

I believe he's referring to the QSC 5050 referbs smile.gif

Yep. smile.gif
post #44 of 50 Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Musicians friend. $680.00. President day sale. biggrin.gif. Cv5000

Mr.smithers. do u remember what resistors u used to get down to 15 volts. I'm might try that first. Cut the volts slow the fan down. I wish I could just shut the fan off.till it actually got warm enough that it needed it..
post #45 of 50 Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
First, I didn't actually measure current draw or power consumption, I just assumed the manufacturer's spec was correct (2W @ 24V). IIRC it was a 100 ohm 5W resistor (it actually dissipates around 0.7W so I wanted more than a 1W, 5 was the next step up of the resistors I had on hand) which left the fan with 15 volts and some change.You definitely want to make sure they start-up with whatever you do before you put everything back in the case. The Sunon seemed content starting with this amount of voltage. Obviously in doing so you further lower the CFM of the fan, I didn't run extensive temp tests after this because I couldn't push the amp hard enough in my space and then sold it to carp who wanted the resistors out (it'll be placed outside of his room so he's not that concerned about any noise). Something I thought about doing but didn't want to hack up the amp or build a box was to wire pots in with each fan and then have a way to control them externally. YMMV as to whether any of this is worth it or useful.
post #46 of 50 Old 04-06-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank1209 View Post

That's what I'm holding out for! tongue.gif I hope I can get it that low.
post #47 of 50 Old 04-06-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Damn thats cheap! MF won't ship it to Canada of course mad.gif At that price I'd grab 1 or 2 just to have.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #48 of 50 Old 04-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank1209 View Post

Mr.smithers. do u remember what resistors u used to get down to 15 volts. I'm might try that first. Cut the volts slow the fan down. I wish I could just shut the fan off.till it actually got warm enough that it needed it..

Whoa, that reduction would almost pay for the miniDSP. Hrmmmm. Might be worth waiting till next year too. Crossing my fingers they have a 4th of July sale. I would go that route at that price.
post #49 of 50 Old 04-07-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:

First, I didn't actually measure current draw or power consumption, I just assumed the manufacturer's spec was correct (2W @ 24V). IIRC it was a 100 ohm 5W resistor (it actually dissipates around 0.7W so I wanted more than a 1W, 5 was the next step up of the resistors I had on hand) which left the fan with 15 volts and some change.You definitely want to make sure they start-up with whatever you do before you put everything back in the case. The Sunon seemed content starting with this amount of voltage. Obviously in doing so you further lower the CFM of the fan, I didn't run extensive temp tests after this because I couldn't push the amp hard enough in my space and then sold it to carp who wanted the resistors out (it'll be placed outside of his room so he's not that concerned about any noise). Something I thought about doing but didn't want to hack up the amp or build a box was to wire pots in with each fan and then have a way to control them externally. YMMV as to whether any of this is worth it or useful.
THanks mr. smithers thanks scott
post #50 of 50 Old 04-07-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

Whoa, that reduction would almost pay for the miniDSP. Hrmmmm. Might be worth waiting till next year too. Crossing my fingers they have a 4th of July sale. I would go that route at that price.
they said in the fine print in was excluded from the sale. but that online chat thing popped up when i was on there site . so i just asked if i bought two would you give me the 15 % off. he said yes and gave me a code. to punch in at checkout. i said cha ching biggrin.gif free shipping too. it dont hurt to ask . they are $799.00 everywhere even ebay.
filtor1 likes this.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page