Old 04-08-2013, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThatStands View Post

i was just curious after a week of it processing. Not trying to rip anyone off here. I always shop online. I always get everything shipped to my office because thats where i am during the day. It just so happens my office isnt my billing address. No worries though. It's here. Looks good. Thanks

Yes, I realize you're not trying to do anything shady. But you have to remember that I have no idea who's ordering because screen names don't match real names. And no one would give me a heads up that they were trying to pull some shady business. biggrin.gif So I have to play it safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Yes, I realize you're not trying to do anything shady. But you have to remember that I have no idea who's ordering because screen names don't match real names. And no one would give me a heads up that they were trying to pull some shady business. biggrin.gif So I have to play it safe.
+1. I never ship anything anywhere other than the PayPal name and address of record, be it physical or email. If you do you have no seller protection. If you want sellers to ship to your business address then that's the address you should have linked to your PayPal account.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
well i can only use my actual billing address. i thought i verified everything. it wasnt asking me for any sort of verification. Also, my email address is spelled the exact same way as my name. But like I said, its done now. I was never upset with you, im just impatient in general. Im not complaining about your service or anything. Just ready to get started, thats all. I would have done any sort of verification, should i have been asked.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Trying to utilize available duratex therefore using flat black latex paint as initial coating for sub cabinet. Does the flat black latex paint need sanding before applying duratex or I can apply directly?

Vinod
Old 10-13-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Not happy with the finish on top of the cabinet as I tried to touch up the part which had less texture with duratex & foam roller. Now the touched up area looks a bit mismatched & somewhat more glossy. Wondering if that will blend in with drying process or do I need to redo another coat of duratex to even it out. My only concern is that I am out of duratex & would have to order a trial pack. Wondering if I can just use flat black latex paint with foam roller over duratex on top to even out the finish.

Vinod
Old 10-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Wheres the best place to buy duratex? Or is there an alternative I should checkout thats available at home depot?
Old 10-01-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Wheres the best place to buy duratex?
www.speakerhardware.com
It's not sold at local outlets. I've never found any alternatives that work nearly as well.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
www.speakerhardware.com
It's not sold at local outlets. I've never found any alternatives that work nearly as well.
I used this horrific truck bed liner by rustoleum, it cost about as much at duratex but I bought it cause they had some at walmart. It smells so bad, subs I painted a month ago still smell. For an extra $20 bucks its worth it if I can live without the smell.

That said its very durable, I drag the subs across the carpet, leave drinks on them, no issues.

does Duratex have any bad odors?
Old 10-01-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I painted my speakers indoors on the kitchen table without needing a lot of ventilation (unlike oil based products). I would say "no".
Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Wheres the best place to buy duratex? Or is there an alternative I should checkout thats available at home depot?
Direct from Acry-Tech: http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coatings/ in gallons.

or Parts Express: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/cab...%5D&PortalID=1 in pints or quarts.

'Good news everyone! I've got bad news' - Professor Fansworth
Old 10-01-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
I used this horrific truck bed liner by rustoleum, it cost about as much at duratex but I bought it cause they had some at walmart. It smells so bad, subs I painted a month ago still smell. For an extra $20 bucks its worth it if I can live without the smell.

That said its very durable, I drag the subs across the carpet, leave drinks on them, no issues.

no not really, its water based and has almost no smell, i mean it smells like a paint but it does not linger at all, I pained my 4 SEOS speakers and the 2 daytons subs in my basement in January, hardly smelled at all , and i used like 1/2 the gallon at one time
Old 10-02-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
I pained my 4 SEOS speakers and the 2 daytons subs in my basement in January, hardly smelled at all , and i used like 1/2 the gallon at one time
FYI, avoid applying DuraTex in the winter, unless you live well south of the Mason-Dixon line. DuraTex cures best when it gets hot. The best way to do that is to leave the cab in the hot sun for a day or two. Commercial outfits heat cure them in large baking rooms, but that's not practical for DIY.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
FYI, avoid applying DuraTex in the winter, unless you live well south of the Mason-Dixon line. DuraTex cures best when it gets hot. The best way to do that is to leave the cab in the hot sun for a day or two. Commercial outfits heat cure them in large baking rooms, but that's not practical for DIY.
2 winters ago I left mine in the basement by one of these for a couple of days: http://www.zoro.com/i/G2598696/

Mike
Old 10-02-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2 View Post
2 winters ago I left mine in the basement by one of these for a couple of days: http://www.zoro.com/i/G2598696/
Heat lamps would work well, and more efficiently, heating the area to be cured rather than the entire room. You'd have to move them around to hit every panel as each cures.