Some changes in my HT. Advice appreciated. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let's start with my current equipment. Speakers are Paradigm Performance series all around. Receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-91TXH. Subwoofer duties are handled by an RCF21 8ohm in a sealed box fed by an Inuke nu3000DSP bridged.

I have on order the Alpha Zephyr kit from DIYSoundGroup to upgrade front stage. I think the Fusion 8's will be my choice for surrounds as I've built a set (for my father)and think they sound fantastic. All pretty normal so far, however I just purchased a QSC CX168 8channel amp to power this and that has led me to think about getting an Emotiva UMC-200 pre-amp to replace the Pioneer. I have also been thinking about replacing the Inuke as I feel the amp is not producing adequate power for this Sub/box combo. To that end I've looked around and have found a QSC CX702 that although not rated much more than the inuke, I think I trust the numbers more. Some preliminary tests of an epx3000 vs the inuke3000 are showing the inuke to be weaker in the lower frequencies. (Just my own testing, more to be done) Now I may have 2 CX series amplifiers in the chain, would a QSC CM16a be a good thing to have?http://qscaudio.com/products/network/cm16a/cm16a.htm(BASIS are out, too expensive). The Emotiva has PEQ for all channels but I don't think it has shelving capabilities. The CM16a has many features, the power control being the most useful to me in HT I think, the other features are nice too. I think I'd bridge 2 of the channels on the CX168 for the Zephyrs.

How am I doing so far? I spend so much time reading I often over think things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 01:32 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
The gear is one thing, and others can perhaps offer better advice than I can.

However, the big, significant gains are had in the room; i.e., optimizing your current gear with measurement driven direction and subsequent acoustic treatment.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #3 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

The gear is one thing, and others can perhaps offer better advice than I can.

However, the big, significant gains are had in the room; i.e., optimizing your current gear with measurement driven direction and subsequent acoustic treatment.

So very true FOH. I currently use the mic that came with the receiver using REW and a loopback calibration that I read about on these forums. It does not give me a true level as it's not a calibrated mic. I have looked into a couple of mics either the umik-1 from Minidsp or the umm-6 from Dayton. I am leaning towards the Dayton one due to current issues surrounding the calibration of the umik-1. That said my waterfall does not look good at all ... to the point where I would be ashamed to post it, it just keeps going to 300ms from 115hz down. It is a small room.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

The UMM-6 is ordered. CX168 is in transit. Speakers are processing. Duratex is here. The other items are still on my wish list.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page