Remoting multiple pro amps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I keep posting about this but finally had a few minutes to snap a couple pics on it when swapping out epq1200s for epx4000s.

The 12v trigger out of the receiver doesn't have enough to get past a single 75ohm relay. Using the 12v trigger to turn on a standard atx pc power supply though and it has enough on a single 12v rail to turn on multiples in daisy chain. The receiver 12v trigger is wired to a standard automotive 12v relay which grounds the green wire in the atx power supply to turn it on.

All Behringer amps I've done this with so far have plenty of room inside to mount the omron relay. Just watch out for the black reset button on the side of the relay. It can't be mounted pushed in(against something) or the relay will never close.

Relay being used is available at mouser.
mouser.com omron relay link

Clean and simple.

And a short vid of it in action. 3 epx4000s and 2 ep4000s via wifi. Enjoy!biggrin.gif

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Neat! I wish my Onkyo had a proper 12v output for the main zone. There are only 12v triggers for never ever used zones2 and 3. rolleyes.gif
Bombelman likes this.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #3 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 03:15 PM

Liked: 17
Any idea how much power you're actually pulling out of that power supply? It sounds like overkill to me, but then you are turning on a lot more amplifiers with it than I am.

Here's my 12V trigger system.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P1QJXQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
+
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=110&cp_id=11009&cs_id=1100901&p_id=6882&seq=1&format=2

It's only good to 1A on the 12V side, but that seems to be enough to power one automotive style relay (like autox is doing) on a power amplifier and two 140mm cooling fans. An advantage of this way is that the 12V power supply is unlikely to be taxed as hard, because anything that's physically near the receiver can just be plugged into the smart strip. My bias light and another power amplifier are both plugged in directly.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I have a little secret...QSC makes a line of pro amps that can be turned on remotely. It is the CX series which is available in 2, 4 and channels and in a wide range of power ratings. The downside is that they are prohibitively expensive new. The upside is that you can find deals on eBay and they are very high I laity amps.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan View Post

I have a little secret...QSC makes a line of pro amps that can be turned on remotely. It is the CX series which is available in 2, 4 and channels and in a wide range of power ratings. The downside is that they are prohibitively expensive new. The upside is that you can find deals on eBay and they are very high I laity amps.

Shhhh, I am still in the middle of procuring mine smile.gif One showed up today, one on the way, and one ring to rule them all...

Nice job on the relay setup Autox320, will have to try that out sometime.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

Any idea how much power you're actually pulling out of that power supply? It sounds like overkill to me, but then you are turning on a lot more amplifiers with it than I am.

It's only good to 1A on the 12V side, but that seems to be enough to power one automotive style relay (like autox is doing) on a power amplifier and two 140mm cooling fans. An advantage of this way is that the 12V power supply is unlikely to be taxed as hard, because anything that's physically near the receiver can just be plugged into the smart strip. My bias light and another power amplifier are both plugged in directly.

I have all the small items in the rack plugged into a rack mounted APC surge strips. The amps however are all dedicated lines into dedicated outlets. 20A circuits. Sub panel for the rack room is 100A so plenty is available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan View Post

smile.gifI'll take my QSC clones from Behringer and add remote power for $10 using this method. Pro amps for home use is a very small market.

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #7 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterX View Post

Shhhh, I am still in the middle of procuring mine smile.gif One showed up today, one on the way, and one ring to rule them all...

Nice job on the relay setup Autox320, will have to try that out sometime.

Sorry. Nobody reads the Internet as far as I know. I have 6 of them myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autox320 View Post

I have all the small items in the rack plugged into a rack mounted APC surge strips. The amps however are all dedicated lines into dedicated outlets. 20A circuits. Sub panel for the rack room is 100A so plenty is available.
smile.gifI'll take my QSC clones from Behringer and add remote power for $10 using this method. Pro amps for home use is a very small market.

I should have added that i think your solution is pretty slick. It would be cool to figure out a way to get rid of the PC PSU.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 331
I do the same thing, a smart strip and build relays to power on the amps. Just picked up an iNuke 6000. Time to build another relay box. smile.gif The iNuke 6000 feels a lot more substantial than what I remembered the Peavy ipr1600 felt. About a year ago, I got a DOA ipr1600 and returned it. I remember it weighing next to nothing.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #9 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

EPQ1200 amps for sale listed in the classifieds. DIY takers get first dibs before they go on ebay. Like the ad says I'm open game on pricing with reasonable offers.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1469918/3x-behringer-epq1200-europower-1200w-lightweight-2-ch-power-amp

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page