Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
thanks
post #33 of 50 Old 04-23-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i can already tell i could have done a better job making it seamless. i got impatient sanding it by hand without a block. And ya'll dont be dumb, make sure and listen when people say wear a mask when sanding mdf. My throat has been on fire for 2 days now, coughing and stuff. I really put on a thick coat of duratex it seems, i used alot of it up. its a little dark while i was doing the second coat, so im hoping i didnt miss anything. Ill see in the morning i guess
post #34 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

got the binding posts in.. (well, except for one of them in the second box has a nut thats cross-threaded, so i guess Im going to have to replace that.)

Got the first box stuffed. Hope i did it right.. I just jammed about 4 pounds of it down in there, trying to leave room for it not to disturb the driver too much. Ive never used that stuff, but it was pretty funny how quick it balloons out when you cut open the vacuum sealed bag of polyfil.

The first sub should be delivered here to me at work anytime now.. When I get off, Ill attach the little black chrome spikes and try and get this first one installed. Seems like its been forever since I first started looking for a new sub, and finally its almost here.biggrin.gif Couple more pics..

Does this look good enough to ya'll for the stuffing?
post #35 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Got the first sub in! Here are a few pics.. It is more massive in person, for sure.

Ill be hooking er' up after work, hopefully without any more kinks or issues.
post #36 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 309
The HO-18 has two 8.5inch magnets, just imagine the LMS-18 at OVER twice the size/weight; four 10.5inch magnets.
It literally winded me having to move 4 of them down two flights of stairs and then another 120ft to the theater in the baking sun.
Every time I have to move them farther than 6ft, I cry... err, I mean, "This Is Sparta!!". hehe tongue.gif
post #37 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

lol, yeah i feel your pain on that! i bet they are heavy as all hell. especially 6 of em! im sitting here looking for a damn phillips head boit and a 5/16 bit to put the feet on this sub and get the driver in. tired of waiting!!!
post #38 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 05:09 PM

Liked: 10
Got my first one hooked up today too. Waiting on a replacement for the second driver. Dustcap glue was all jacked up on that one.

The wife was not thrilled to learn there would be two of them, LOL

20130429_173331_zpsaab363eb.jpg
post #39 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

nice. yeah i like it, cant wait for the next one. Im having some issues with clipping though.. not sure exactly what im doing wrong..i like to listen to music at 82 volume on my receiver, which it claims is THX reference. But now, the sub amp starts clipping at about 70 something volume. i re-ran audyssey, and it had me turn the amp gain down to about 9 oclock, to be at 75db for the test, but after it was done it was soo weak. now ive got the amp gain up to about 11oclock, and its clipping at right around 80 volume.. Not sure what im doing wrong, but its kinda frustrating. Wish i could get it figured out.
post #40 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 175
what amp are you using?
post #41 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

ep 4000.

all the things in the back are set to the left except 3 and 8 (low pass filters, i have to off)
post #42 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

humm not sure why it would be clipping. i don't start to see the clip lights (red ones) until i hit +8 or so. I also run with the clip limiter on but honestly unless im trying to bring the house down i never see it
post #43 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

damn.. wonder what the issue is.. i listen very loud, almost the whole time its on. so i should have my clip limiters on then, at least?

Damn i gotta get this figured out. as of right now, its not feeling like money well spent. Im sure ive got something wrong here, im just not sure what.

What happens if you run audyssey with the amp gain all the way up? (i had to turn it down to about 8 or 9 oclock to be at 75 decibals, like the test asks for).

As of right now, it sounds more like the cerwin vega 15's are pushing just as much bass. i even moved the crossover settings on the receiver so that the fronts are at 70hz audyssey put them and the center at 40hz), the center is at 80Hz, and so are the surrounds. LFE is at 120HZ by default and i left that alone. the subwoofer is set right at 0db after audyssey. and ive just slowly got the gain on the amp up to about 11oclock now. Seems like it shouldnt be clipping so quickly. Im almost tempted to plug the sub into my CV1800 amp and see how it does
post #44 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

i don't have a AVR with audyssey but i ran YPAO (yamahas thing) with the gain all the way maxed and it set my levels to 0. i run them at +2

only time ive seen the clip lights come on is running the opening scene on The Art of Flight at +12
post #45 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

k, ill re-run audyssey with the gain all the way up i guess. im tired of messing with it for tonight. ill do that after work tomorrow
post #46 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You have the same receiver as me...what level of Audyssey calibration are you running (3 point, 6 point, 8 point)?

Not to discourage you from trying, but when I ran my calibration with the gain all the way up (measured 88 or 89dB) in the sub setting mode, the EQ it ultimately applied cut the balls off my subs. Audyssey gave the subs a much deeper stronger sound when I ran the calibration at 80 dB.

Like Sibuna, I run my EP4000 with the clip limiter switches in the 'on' position.

System Info:
Display - Panasonic TC-P55VT50
Receiver - Onkyo TX-NR809
Blu-Ray Player - Pioneer BDP-320
Front - Pioneer SP-FS51LR (with modified pedestal bases)
Center - Pioneer SP-C21
Surround & Surround Back - Pioneer SP-SS41LR (the 'SS' is for custom boxes)
Subwoofer - Eclipse 88100DVC (x2),...
post #47 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

i just ran 3 point this time. i did 6 point last time. yeah i thought about that, if i turn the gain all the way up, audyssey would just turn it way down. I dont know man.. I mean, there's bass, and i can can make due, but thats not really what i was going for with the amount of $$$ invested. and im not going to fully judge it till i get the second one in, too. Its just the clipping thing is confusing me. doesnt seem like it should be clipping where it is at.
post #48 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yes, I wouldn't make any final judgments until you have both subs up and running... I think the TX-NR809 is capable of pushing a pretty 'hot' signal through the LFE outputs, which contributes to its ability to clip the EP4000.

Is your Dayton driver a single 4 Ohm voice coil? When you get both subs going (so long as they aren't spaced too far apart), you might try running them at both 4 Ohms stereo mode and 8 Ohms bridged mode to determine which sounds best before spending any significant time before performing a full 6 point Audyssey calibration or doing other tweaking.

My subs do not require as much power as yours (mine are spec'd for 500-600 watts RMS), but I found they sounded significantly better at 16 Ohms bridged vs. 8 Ohms stereo. I was also able to turn the gain up higher at 16 Ohms bridged before clipping compared to 8 Ohms stereo (just don't forget to turn the channel two gain all the way down when running in bridged mode).

System Info:
Display - Panasonic TC-P55VT50
Receiver - Onkyo TX-NR809
Blu-Ray Player - Pioneer BDP-320
Front - Pioneer SP-FS51LR (with modified pedestal bases)
Center - Pioneer SP-C21
Surround & Surround Back - Pioneer SP-SS41LR (the 'SS' is for custom boxes)
Subwoofer - Eclipse 88100DVC (x2),...
post #49 of 50 Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Something isn't right in your gain structure. Do you go rca to xlr? You may need a minidsp to boost the signal.

I have 2 SI 18" subs at 4ohm bridged. I run over reference and I haven't seen the clip light once. My gain is set to around 26 on the knob, and my receiver cuts -12db or so. Yes, its that much power at a little more than halfway.

Hook both subs up bridged, and invest in a balanced minidsp. You'll be pounding in no time.
post #50 of 50 Old 04-30-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

i go rca to 1/4", just like my front L/R's to the amp that powers them.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page