Alright, it started with me looking for a better sub for my surround sound system, and now ive been talked into going the DIY route. I got talked into going from one 18" to two of them before i finished the first. Ive posted many small threads asking all the small questions, and hopefully Ive gained enough knowledge to really get the ball rolling. I figured i would go ahead and start a new thread and post my progress from the start. I wish i could afford what some of ya'll have built in these threads, as I am in awe of some of them (Gorrila, Carp, Sibuna, etc..), but Im pretty happy/excited about what im working with for starters.
Ive got the Onkyo 809 receiver, a CV1800 powering the front L/R speakers which are both CV XLS-15's. Ive got an XLS-6C for Center speaker and XLS-6's for the back left and right.
For the sub setup, I got an EP4000, 2 Dayton 18" HO subs, a 10 pound carton of polyfil, a tube of PL premium, 16 ounces of wood glue, half a gallon of duratex, a 9" textured roller, simple little binding posts, black chrome spikes for the feet, and 50ft of 12 gauge wire.
Ill post what pics i have here in a couple of posts. I only have my phone for a camera, so sorry about that. I really want to thank all of the regulars on these forums, for they are who talked me into this, and also the reason Ive got the confidence to pull this off. I have zero experience with woodwork, caulking, painting, finishing things like this. Wish me luck! Here is where i am so far..
got the flatpack for the first one in from DIYsoundgroup, and did a quick dry run at the office.
started gluing the first one here. I dont really have much for tools (basically none, lol. I live in a one bed apartment). I didnt even have clamps at this point.
moving right along on the glueing of first box.. got a buddy to lend me a couple assorted clamps.
This was a pleasant treat, i have a buddy who runs a CNC for a living.. he said he could make me a box in no time, for no cost. He even had MDF lying around. I threw him 50 bones anyhow for making my life easier.. This is also where i finally decided to move forward with two of them from the getgo, instead of one.. Ive got the ep4000 which is good for two, anyhow, so why not.
Gluing the second box together..
still gluing number two..
while number two is drying, i got number one sanded down. Ive got to tell ya'll, the fun of "DIY" went right out the window at this point. I sanded by hand. Thats not much fun at all
. anyhow, it makes it all that much more satisfying, now that ive got so much of me invested in these badboys. Ill post a few more pics on the next post so as not to congest it in one post. Making progress..