Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #691 of 703 Old 07-10-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 151
The LMS-5400s are already in place and paid for so it isn't like this is an option. It is further not an option due to space.

Here are the more applicable calculations for my situation.

3 x 4 (or 5) cu.ft. = 12 cu.ft. total
1 x 16 cu.ft. = I CAN ONLY FIT 1 IN THE WALL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 703 Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
Its also a matter of how much space someone has. The wood it costs to build the enclosures and whatnot. Lets just stick with the 1600 price tag and say you can get roughly a pair of 24's for the price of 3 Ultras. I am not going to be able to buy them when they are on sale. And for me the price is about 2200aud including shipping for just one.

While some have room for 24's others only have room for 15's.

^^^^^^^^

Ding ding ding!

Not everyone has room for even a single 15cuft enclosure. The value of a subwoofer driver is not always its pure burst output capability.

Not there is anything wrong with that.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #693 of 703 Old 07-10-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Its also a matter of how much space someone has. The wood it costs to build the enclosures and whatnot. Lets just stick with the 1600 price tag and say you can get roughly a pair of 24's for the price of 3 Ultras. I am not going to be able to buy them when they are on sale. And for me the price is about 2200aud including shipping for just one.

While some have room for 24's others only have room for 15's.
We talk as if a 15 is tiny....HA Best buy has never even heard of a 15" subwoofer.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #694 of 703 Old 07-10-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
We talk as if a 15 is tiny....HA Best buy has never even heard of a 15" subwoofer.
So true...

18" subs in the normal would are considered crazy, but around here it's normal. Anything under 18" is small.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #695 of 703 Old 07-10-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Not quite, more like

LMS-U $925.87ea X3 = $2777.61 free shipping

SI 24 $999ea X3 = $2997.00 plus shipping, and its probably $100 per driver to ship.

shipping for my 24 was 5$
post #696 of 703 Old 07-10-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Plus I am pretty sure 3 of the 24" SI will beat the snot out of 3 LMS and take it's lunch money, bang it's girl, it's mom, perhaps even bang the LMS and make it ride it's bike home after without a seat.

If I had a choice I'd choose the 24" over the LMS for the same cost. I am surprised these drivers are not more popular. Just being 24" make it freakin' way cool IMO. Plus it can obviously lay the bass down with the best of them. Boggles my mind why so much hate towards these.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #697 of 703 Old 07-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 619
I'm pretty certain that the consensus of the SI24 is that it is a bad ass m-f'er of a driver.

Where is all this "hate" that consumes your attention?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #698 of 703 Old 07-10-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Well for me, cost is secondary to space concerns since my theater room is also the living room. I'm not necessarily limiting myself due to the living room but do have design challenges. Space is a big one for me, which is why i went with the LMS5400s vs the SI18s since it takes 2 of the SI18s to equal the output of a LMS5400. Now if the UXL18 had been more available when I bought mine, I might have gone with it. Same for the HS24 except I'd still be space limited but I would have gone with a HS24 in place of one of the LMS5400s.

Regarding the "hate" for the HS24, it is primarily due to the several cost increases. The initial $699 was a group buy special for "beta" testers buying a brand new, unreviewed. unproven subwoofer. It was never the introductory price of the HS24 yet people keep using that as the starting price. So the starting price was really $999 and Nick got smart and realized that was too low as the sub might have even exceeded his expectations. Why would he price a 24" sub at the same price as an LMS5400 when the HS24 seriously beat TWO LMS5400s head to head? Answer he wouldn't so that is why the quick bump to $1299. Now another reason you raise prices is because they're TOO popular and you can't keep up with demand, which is likely why he raised to $1599. Since managing supply and demand is ALWAYS difficult and a moving target, he had probably caught back up or purchased enough raw materials that he can now handle more demand...maybe why the sale for $999 again.

Hearing a single HS24 beat my pair of LMS5400s makes me realize the value of the HS24 whether that be at $999 or even up to $1599.
post #699 of 703 Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Scott when can we get a picture of your subs and mains again?

And did Nick ever do anymore with the clamping method of attaching the woofer? Or whatever someone else did under the baffle lip?

I know he had talked about it but never heard anymore info. And can someone tell me about the packing container the 24's are in?

I have been hearing some horror stories about some other drivers being damaged on expensive speakers in containers not packed very well. This is not about Nick just another company.
post #700 of 703 Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:

And did Nick ever do anymore with the clamping method of attaching the woofer? Or whatever someone else did under the baffle lip?

I know he had talked about it but never heard anymore info. And can someone tell me about the packing container the 24's are in?

I have been hearing some horror stories about some other drivers being damaged on expensive speakers in containers not packed very well. This is not about Nick just another company.
The boxes that Nick provides with the 24's is STOUT!

It's made of 2 x 4's and (I believe 1/2" OSB. Imagine a sub box with a front baffle and no side or back walls.
Mfusick likes this.

post #701 of 703 Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Not true! They sold me one in 1998.

I bought a Cerwin Vega from them with a 15" driver to go with my 2 Cerwin Vega mains that had 15" drivers that I bought a couple years earlier (CV center channel and jbl rears to go with it). Myself and my roommates thought we were in heaven. One of the first things we did was buy the Cunning Stunts DVD by Metallica and rocked that thing on a 27" tube tv. Greatest thing I had ever seen in my life in a home setting. I wore that disk out. Still pisses me off they only played half of Puppets.... they used to do that in concert back then. Blasphemy.
post #702 of 703 Old 07-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

A packing (1st batch) that solid enough to ensure the woofers safely air freight all the way from US to my address in South East Asia without a scratch on woofer, I heard the packing has been improved further now
post #703 of 703 Old 07-10-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
A packing (1st batch) that solid enough to ensure the woofers safely air freight all the way from US to my address in South East Asia without a scratch on woofer, I heard the packing has been improved further now
Thats reassuring to hear then. I am in no way able to buy a pair but was curious. Still looking at puny 15's for now. BUT someday I hope to have a pair of 24's.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page