Stereo Integrity 24" subwoofer - not kidding! - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 172Likes

post #901 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 92
exactly. I've had it far too long and haven't given it a proper home yet.

Bought a house, got married..... now I have more room for it and I still haven't gotten around to building anything for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post
exactly. I've had it far too long and haven't given it a proper home yet.

Bought a house, got married..... now I have more room for it and I still haven't gotten around to building anything for it.

Im re-building mine (well, fixing a couple of issues and a new paint job/finish)
Im shocked at the output these things have just sitting on the floor...

...some of us just really love bass...

My DIY Subwoofers: This is going to destroy my house...
My Theatre: uniquepattern's asylum

post #903 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
I am using a cerwin vega 5000. (5000watt).

But am only running 1/2 power to it (free air).

Once I get off my butt and build a box for it I want to run 3/4 or higher power; but that depends on if I can relocate the amp to the basement, as it is loud enough to be distracting when I am sitting 7 feet away from it.

edit------------

I know Brandon has blown a few of them up, but I don't know how much power was going to them at that point.... or under what content they were facing when that happened.
Thanks for the feedback man. I think I've seen your hs24 video free air before. The excursion you're seeing in that alignment is scary with 2.5kw! How does it stack against your uls15 in that configuration?

As for me, I'm trying to figure out which way to setup these 24's (hs24d2-mk2 and bhs-24d1) and an othorn b&c 21sw with my 2 amps (sp1-4000 and enhanced clone)

Option A
Fp14000 - othorn + hs24 (9ft^3 box), essentially ~4400w/ch

Sp1-4000 - bhs-240(16ft^3), solid 4000w

Or Option B - use the sp1-4000 on the hs-24 d2, providing it only 2800w

And give the BHS 6kw+ clone power

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
post #904 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Option B

and get another clone later

post #905 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
Option B

and get another clone later
Logistically, I have to use a plate amp and a freaking wireless transmitter. These guys are going into a BIG open floor concept great room at our new house. The smaller box is behind the sectional which is visible through the hallway and kitchen. We've added a very stealthy dedicated outlet in the blueprint just for that sub. Since the amps are going in a seperate room in the basement for the othorn and other hs24, the lines are being ran through the walls upstairs. My wife would not let me put a speakon connector on the floor to hook into for the nearfield... Apparently it would ruin the look of the marble, which doesn't make sense since it'll be hidden by the hutch looking enclosure.

I wish I can just use the clones, they're so cheap but they're loud, fan wise. The clones I'm currently using for my HT is in my furnace room with safe n sound and DD gg.

uniquepattern likes this.
post #906 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lz7j View Post
Logistically, I have to use a plate amp and a freaking wireless transmitter. These guys are going into a BIG open floor concept great room at our new house. The smaller box is behind the sectional which is visible through the hallway and kitchen. We've added a very stealthy dedicated outlet in the blueprint just for that sub. Since the amps are going in a seperate room in the basement for the othorn and other hs24, the lines are being ran through the walls upstairs. My wife would not let me put a speakon connector on the floor to hook into for the nearfield... Apparently it would ruin the look of the marble, which doesn't make sense since it'll be hidden by the hutch looking enclosure.

I wish I can just use the clones, they're so cheap but they're loud, fan wise. The clones I'm currently using for my HT is in my furnace room with safe n sound and DD gg.

So, when is Nick sending your monsters up to our neck of the woods?

post #907 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
So, when is Nick sending your monsters up to our neck of the woods?
He's sending them to my drop box in Buffalo this week, I think. They were done as of Saturday and he just needs to test them before they get boxed up.

16hz lover and uniquepattern like this.
post #908 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 11:40 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3013 Post(s)
Liked: 2449
Why not a matching pair instead of one or the other?
post #909 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Why not a matching pair instead of one or the other?
Originally, I went with the dual original hs24's Nick had for sale. Due to the smaller box nearfield, I ended upgrading one of the drivers. One thing led to the next and next thing I knew, I had a bhs24. Lol

Long story short, the WAF kiboshed the plans after I tried to talk to her into an sp12000 and a 240v/30a run into our living room with dual bhs24's. So we compromised and got the mk2 as the second driver... It'll be a foot behind the MLP, while the bhs24 is 16' away with the othorn.

I feel this is fair. She did "allow" me to use 8 x ported subs (4 x hst18's and 4 x uxl18) and 4 x mbm (pa460's) in the basement HT.

So it looks like my hs24mk2 is only getting 2800w!

@uniquepattern - they're now ready!

post #910 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

NICE! ! ! ! !

Ontario is going to get a little louder!

post #911 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
Originally, I went with the dual original hs24's Nick had for sale. Due to the smaller box nearfield, I ended upgrading one of the drivers. One thing led to the next and next thing I knew, I had a bhs24. Lol

Long story short, the WAF kiboshed the plans after I tried to talk to her into an sp12000 and a 240v/30a run into our living room with dual bhs24's. So we compromised and got the mk2 as the second driver... It'll be a foot behind the MLP, while the bhs24 is 16' away with the othorn.

I feel this is fair. She did "allow" me to use 8 x ported subs (4 x hst18's and 4 x uxl18) and 4 x mbm (pa460's) in the basement HT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MEnkGs80d0

You sir are broken! And I love it. Even better, your wife knows you're broken and sort of allows you to get away with it. That's one heck of a system!

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #912 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
I am using a cerwin vega 5000. (5000watt).

But am only running 1/2 power to it (free air).

Once I get off my butt and build a box for it I want to run 3/4 or higher power; but that depends on if I can relocate the amp to the basement, as it is loud enough to be distracting when I am sitting 7 feet away from it.

edit------------

I know Brandon has blown a few of them up, but I don't know how much power was going to them at that point.... or under what content they were facing when that happened.
I take full responsibility for 75% of the "blown" 24's at BEAST's last GTG. I use quotes around "blown" because the BHS-24 that emitted smoke apparently just shut the amp down because the coils read just fine and the woofer still plays, haha. The one other driver with the mechanical issue was my fault as it was one of the (if not THE) first 24's I ever built years ago and I did not glue the spider down - I only used clamps to hold the OD of the spider in place. That build practice has sailed years ago and all the joints are glued and clamped now (have been for a quite a while now).
post #913 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MEnkGs80d0

Sorry Nikko, I would have turned it up more but the dust cap epoxy had just set up 30 minutes prior to taking the video so I did not want to push it very hard even though it was in free-air. That was just about 1.75" of travel out of its 4"+ capability.
post #914 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
You sir are broken! And I love it. Even better, your wife knows you're broken and sort of allows you to get away with it. That's one heck of a system!
Don't you have a couple of customers with more than a pair of mariana 24's? They're as broken as me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
I take full responsibility for 75% of the "blown" 24's at BEAST's last GTG. I use quotes around "blown" because the BHS-24 that emitted smoke apparently just shut the amp down because the coils read just fine and the woofer still plays, haha. The one other driver with the mechanical issue was my fault as it was one of the (if not THE) first 24's I ever built years ago and I did not glue the spider down - I only used clamps to hold the OD of the spider in place. That build practice has sailed years ago and all the joints are glued and clamped now (have been for a quite a while now).
Is that with the big speaker power 8000 and playing sinewaves? My hst18's in their ported boxes are getting double their rated max power (I shouldn't be telling the manufacturer this. Lol) but I don't ever play sinewaves ever. The worse I'll play through them is EOT intro.

I'll have to carefully test the bhs24 and make sure they survive the 6500w journey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
Sorry Nikko, I would have turned it up more but the dust cap epoxy had just set up 30 minutes prior to taking the video so I did not want to push it very hard even though it was in free-air. That was just about 1.75" of travel out of its 4"+ capability.
You can always take high excursion videos tomorrow with the Mk2!

post #915 of 940 Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Don't you have a couple of customers with more than a pair of mariana 24's? They're as broken as me!
Yes I do and I think pretty much anyone looking at a 24" subwoofer isn't exactly normal. But it is oh so much fun and even better, we get to have great sound quality (audiophile quality) with phenomenal output.

Quote:
Is that with the big speaker power 8000 and playing sinewaves? My hst18's in their ported boxes are getting double their rated max power (I shouldn't be telling the manufacturer this. Lol) but I don't ever play sinewaves ever. The worse I'll play through them is EOT intro.
Technically they were sine waves from the Lone Survivor helicopter scene, which we later found out the ~6Hz sine wave were 10 dB hotter than the rest of the movie soundtrack. And I don't think there was a BHS-24 at Brandon's GTG, just early build HS24s as my pair were from my initial test boxes and the other was an early HS24 Josh Ricci "tested" and yeah, he's always careful with subs during his "testing". But I think ultimately it was my hand on the volume control when the subs were "blown" so my fault. It probably wouldn't have happened in my system since the gains would have been matched up better. We think a primary contributing factor was potentially the amp clipping due to the gain structure not being setup properly between the receiver and the amp. I have learned my lesson and will be sure to spend more time setting the subs up instead of just dropping them in and beating on them.
lz7j likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound

Last edited by dgage; 08-22-2016 at 08:44 PM.
post #916 of 940 Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM
Point Source

The one BHS that has been tested should be noted of taking that scene at much higher volumes, b2b times and is still ticking. It's not entirely unhurt from it, as the VC's did begin to smoke a little but we saved the driver and it is still fully operational. It should also be noted that we were only using a single box, in a sub-optimal location out in the room, and were still at ref + about 3-4dB, plus an extra 10dB or so on the sub's starting trim, and then David cranked it another several dB's past that. The room was having convulsive fits.
post #917 of 940 Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The one BHS that has been tested should be noted of taking that scene at much higher volumes, b2b times and is still ticking. It's not entirely unhurt from it, as the VC's did begin to smoke a little but we saved the driver and it is still fully operational. It should also be noted that we were only using a single box, in a sub-optimal location out in the room, and were still at ref + about 3-4dB, plus an extra 10dB or so on the sub's starting trim, and then David cranked it another several dB's past that. The room was having convulsive fits.
What amp were you guys using on the BHS?
post #918 of 940 Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM
Point Source

Quote:
What amp were you guys using on the BHS?
Sp1-4000 on a dedicated 30a line, with the Mariana's DSP program and it was taking everything it could possibly pull from that amp.
post #919 of 940 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sp1-4000 on a dedicated 30a line, with the Mariana's DSP program and it was taking everything it could possibly pull from that amp.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I should really be careful then with the 2ohm load on an enhanced fp14k.

post #920 of 940 Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked: 3651
Also, it should be noted that the output (and sound quality) before their ultimate demise was quite extraordinary!
post #921 of 940 Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
And I don't think there was a BHS-24 at Brandon's GTG
There were two there actually. Just ....not inside B's house but in that van.
post #922 of 940 Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
There were two there actually. Just ....not inside B's house but in that van.
That's what I thought too. Brandon and I didn't get to play with the BHS-24 until a few weeks later. Were you crazy enough to take a ride in the van? And did you wear hearing protection? I saw a few people after going for a ride in that SUV and they looked like they had been in a fight.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #923 of 940 Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
That's what I thought too. Brandon and I didn't get to play with the BHS-24 until a few weeks later. Were you crazy enough to take a ride in the van? And did you wear hearing protection? I saw a few people after going for a ride in that SUV and they looked like they had been in a fight.
Yes I did! Got a video of it even.

Lol, of course I wore hearing protection. Though I think it fell off at one point it was so loud. Haha! But I didn't have any after effects of the ride. Sterling took it easy on me and it was a fun ride. Plus I got to see a little more of the area where Brandon lives. Such a nice place.
post #924 of 940 Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So it wasn't the BHS that you guys smoked with the sp1-4000? We're planning a shootout between a BHS24/9cu against a pair of co-located ftw21/6cu each in a couple of weeks. I just want to make sure I don't embarrass myself blowing one up too.

Have you tried giving the BHS 8kw from your SP rack amp?

post #925 of 940 Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
So it wasn't the BHS that you guys smoked with the sp1-4000? We're planning a shootout between a BHS24/9cu against a pair of co-located ftw21/6cu each in a couple of weeks. I just want to make sure I don't embarrass myself blowing one up too.
Yeah, it was the "regular" HS24. Not the BHS24 which was brand new at that time.

In fact, Nick has since updated the HS24 to a mkII version. Forgot exactly what was different. New coil/motor I think. Overall "beefier" version of the HS24 but not as much as the BHS24.
lz7j and uniquepattern like this.
post #926 of 940 Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

The new mk2 versions are awesome - I love my pair!

post #927 of 940 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Yeah, it was the "regular" HS24. Not the BHS24 which was brand new at that time.

In fact, Nick has since updated the HS24 to a mkII version. Forgot exactly what was different. New coil/motor I think. Overall "beefier" version of the HS24 but not as much as the BHS24.
My second driver is the Hs24 Mk2, stronger/bigger motor that adds 10lbs. Better alignment to suit a smaller enclosure as well.

I might as well go ahead and strap ~4400w to the hs24 mk2 then. And 6500w for the BHS.
post #928 of 940 Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My second driver is the Hs24 Mk2, stronger/bigger motor that adds 10lbs. Better alignment to suit a smaller enclosure as well.

I might as well go ahead and strap ~4400w to the hs24 mk2 then. And 6500w for the BHS.

I think Nick might have a few tricks in the mk2 versions to lower distortion vs the original too
The newer motor is also very quiet even at high excursions....

They just laugh at everything a bridged XLS2502 can put out in my setup - even free air!

Last edited by uniquepattern; Yesterday at 12:21 PM.
post #929 of 940 Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:

Have you tried giving the BHS 8kw from your SP rack amp?
Not only will you embarrass yourself if you blow up a driver, to add insult to injury, you've already told the manufacturer how much more power you're running than he recommends.

But really, apples and oranges. Remember that I'm using a smaller enclosure than the original HS24 called for and use the DSP and extra power to add a Linkwitz Transform to get better performance out of the low end. As has been pointed out, the newer HS24 mkII have more motor force and work better in the smaller enclosures, almost like Nick had me in mind when designing the update.

With that said, I would give the FTW21s the output advantage since they have the raw displacement advantage and are colocated. Frankly, they should win. But the BHS-24 will more than hold its own. But definitely be careful, even the BHS-24 can be burnt up by 4,000w if too much power is dumped down low for too long a period of time such as that Lone Survivor Chopper Scene with 6Hz/10dB hot signal. If you're pushing the subs hard down low, I'd keep it to shorter bursts but even better if you use a more balanced signal that will allow the driver to keep itself cool.

No, I find the SP1-4000 is more than powerful enough for even the BHS-24. I use the metric of subs per rack mount amp though I know many of you seemingly use number of rack mount amps per sub. LOL!

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound

Last edited by dgage; Yesterday at 12:39 PM.
post #930 of 940 Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not only will you embarrass yourself if you blow up a driver, to add insult to injury, you've already told the manufacturer how much more power you're running than he recommends.
With that said, pretty much everyone who purchased an HS-24 has voided their warranty by applying more than 1500w! I'll stick to the original plan then and use the sp1-4000 on the BHS. I'll reach out to @Electrodynamic and grab another hs24mk2 for my second 16ft^3 cab and use 2 x 24's with another sp1-4000 at 2kw/driver. I love this hobby! Simple solutions.
dgage likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs