Crossover question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I had a crossover designed by Madisound, and it is a 2-way design. I was wondering if I could build off of this design and make it a 2.5 way design. Just didn't know what would be involved in doing/calculating this, or if it was even possible. If this has been covered already please show me a link, I already have done a few searches with nothing conclusive. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
i don't know.

if the original design did not intend for a .5 woofer, then your bass may end up too much.

if the .5 is crossed in too low, the large inductor might suck some of the life out of the bass.

otherwise, i don't see why you couldn't wire an inductor in line with a second driver, then wire that in parallel to the rest of the network.

i'm as interested as you are too find out. somebody around here knows the answer.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-26-2013, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I built the Eton S7 kit. I then paid them $30 to design a mtm version of it.

Why not just have them redesign the crossover?

Here is an extremely unqualified question: If you add a second woofer, don't you need to compensate by lessening the padding on the tweeter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am tossing the original crossover design and I am going to try some free design software to create my own. It may be a trial and error thing, but diy is all about learning. Thanks for your responses.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-27-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Good idea, I don't think it would work. The low pass transfer function would change altogether.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-28-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It could be possible. If it was an MTM design and you added two more woofers in order to reinforce the bottom few octaves, it may provide a little more thump if that's what you're looking for. However, they would essentially function the same as an added midbass or sub, so you may as well go that route instead.

YID DIY
post #7 of 11 Old 04-28-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

It could be possible.
Possible, yes, with a new crossover. The question is why. I don't see anything to be gained.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-29-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 154
So if you are building some existing design that uses...say...a 1" tweeter with a pair of 6&1/2" mids per speaker, and the crossover is already completed for this configuration. Can you then add, say...2 more 6 & 1/2" mids that are identical to the existing 6 & 1/2" mids that are aleady in there and connect them in parrell (maybe series, can't remember) using the same crossover? Will this also not bring the low and mid-range up since it would be doubling the drivers cone surface area?
post #9 of 11 Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

So if you are building some existing design that uses...say...a 1" tweeter with a pair of 6&1/2" mids per speaker, and the crossover is already completed for this configuration. Can you then add, say...2 more 6 & 1/2" mids that are identical to the existing 6 & 1/2" mids that are aleady in there and connect them in parrell (maybe series, can't remember) using the same crossover?
No. The impedance load of the mids must be maintained, and you cannot achieve the same load with two and four drivers.

post #10 of 11 Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

So if you are building some existing design that uses...say...a 1" tweeter with a pair of 6&1/2" mids per speaker, and the crossover is already completed for this configuration. Can you then add, say...2 more 6 & 1/2" mids that are identical to the existing 6 & 1/2" mids that are aleady in there and connect them in parrell (maybe series, can't remember) using the same crossover?

If you do that the midrange section of the crossover will see too low of a load impedance, and its crossover frequency will move up about an octave.

If you impedance scale that portion of the crossover then the crossover frequency will be OK, but your tweeter will become weak. If there is attenuation in the tweeter side of the crossover, then reducing it could restore a well-balanced system.

As you add drivers you also end up changing driver acoustical blending, and that is yet another can of worms.

If you hook up the two new drivers through a replica of the midrange side of the existing crossover then that would also preserve the crossover frequency, but you still need to address the tweeter balance issue.

Doubling the number of bass drivers this way will halve the impedance of the loudspeaker system in the midrange, and that may have adverse effcts on the amplifier you use to drive this system.
Quote:
Will this also not bring the low and mid-range up since it would be doubling the drivers cone surface area?

Probably.

In this day and age it is usually easier and more productive to change the system's tonal balance using the kinds of built-in equalizers we find in modern AVRs.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

If you do that the midrange section of the crossover will see too low of a load impedance, and its crossover frequency will move up about an octave.
Only if it is first order. If it is second order or higher the entire crossover topology will be AFU, as will be the results.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page