TD15M - SEOS12 - BMS4550 / theater progress / Dual TD6M - SEOS12 - BMS4550 build. :D - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 314 Old 05-14-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250

Just like to add another tutorial

http://www.exquisiteaudio.com/baffle.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 314 Old 05-14-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Well I've got two baffles clamped and glued. I really, really hate PL. I can't wait to get this part done so I can go back to using wood glue again. smile.gif

I filled the bases up with playsand which will not only add some weight, but dampen vibrations from both the woofers in the cab, and the sub next to it. I decided to add some insulation on top while I was at it, just because.

I decided on doing a combo of duct liner for the rear panel, and stuffing. I hate tedious crap like cutting little squares to fit between the bracing. cool.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #93 of 314 Old 05-14-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Ya know, those baffles cut with a CNC would have only been about $18 - $20. biggrin.gif

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #94 of 314 Old 05-14-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Ya know, those baffles cut with a CNC would have only been about $18 - $20. biggrin.gif

Man, tell me about it. I really wanted to build this thing from scratch myself, but that thought kept popping in my head over and over. biggrin.gif If I didn't need to cut them for my TD6's I might have gone that route.

Besides, one can never have too many tools. cool.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #95 of 314 Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I was hoping to have my Axiom M80's to demo alongside the TD15's but not going to happen. My buddy just toasted his Def Techs and needed a quick replacement so I made him a deal he couldn't pass up. Needless to say I'm not lugging them back down to the basement for comparison testing. cool.gif

I'll have to go by memory. Considering I can't remember what I had for breakfast, you'll have to take that with a grain of salt, lol.

Achievement Unlocked

post #96 of 314 Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Whew, now you won't be as disappointed in my half A$$ design job tongue.gif

Some measurements of these two designs,
First the TD6 design, hopefully I can get a change to vertical off axis measurements outside also as they should show that the dip at 800hz is less prominent below axis. So when using these as heights aiming them a little above ear level might be a good thing. Again these are ungated indoor measurements so the response below 500hz starts to look lumpy.

On axis

0-60 degrees horizontal off axis

TD15M-4 SEOS-12/BMS 4550

On axis

0-60 degrees horizontal off axis

The sensitivity of the Dual TD6m design is about 92dB at 2.83v, reason being that the midrange needed to be pulled down by a large amount (6dB) to get it somewhat in line with the bass level when tuned to 65hz. I don't think the TD6 is the best option when your looking for that kind of extension as I needed to throw away a lot of it's midband sensitivity to get where I thought it sounded decent.

The TD15m-4 design is much better at about 98.5dB at 2.83v.
post #97 of 314 Old 05-15-2013, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Well I was hoping to have my Axiom M80's to demo alongside the TD15's but not going to happen. My buddy just toasted his Def Techs and needed a quick replacement so I made him a deal he couldn't pass up. Needless to say I'm not lugging them back down to the basement for comparison testing. cool.gif

I'll have to go by memory. Considering I can't remember what I had for breakfast, you'll have to take that with a grain of salt, lol.

I doubt you'll need much time to realize how held back the M80s were. Tried them myself too after M60s which got trumped by ED6T6's. I could barely give away the M60 towers....traded for beer to my bro n law biggrin.gif Funny ending is he'll end up with the full 6T6 setup still in my garage. Axiom center channel is horrible imaging. I thought the surrounds were probably ok but then I smoked one, replaced the driver and sold.

TD15's will probably make you want to listen to everything all over again.

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #98 of 314 Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autox320 View Post

I doubt you'll need much time to realize how held back the M80s were. Tried them myself too after M60s which got trumped by ED6T6's. I could barely give away the M60 towers....traded for beer to my bro n law biggrin.gif Funny ending is he'll end up with the full 6T6 setup still in my garage. Axiom center channel is horrible imaging. I thought the surrounds were probably ok but then I smoked one, replaced the driver and sold.

TD15's will probably make you want to listen to everything all over again.

I surely hope so. This has cost a lot more, and been a lot more brain damage than originally anticipated. cool.gif

Matt has been a real trooper putting this together. Nothing has gone according to plan; the guy has the patience of a saint, lol.

Achievement Unlocked

post #99 of 314 Old 05-15-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Never expect anything to go according to plan. lol

Its funny when I look back to the first page of my build, and realize that the whole build changed many times over within 5 months. I don't even have the same receiver, amp, or sub anymore. lol
post #100 of 314 Old 05-15-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Never expect anything to go according to plan. lol

I'm well aware of that. My whole theater build has been a series of hurdles. I thought for once, something might actually go according to plan. smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #101 of 314 Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm well aware of that. My whole theater build has been a series of hurdles.

Wow, if that wasn't self fulfilling prophecy. After a crap day at work I decide to spend a couple hours tonight finishing up the front baffles for my TD6's. I knnnnnnnooooooooowwwwwwwww better. 2 hrs and 4 frigged up baffles later I've got nothing accomplished. mad.gif

Mismeasure.................check
Mismeasure again......................check
Forget to set the stop guide for flush mount ring............check
Let the router take off and jump track and land in center of baffle.............check

Achievement Unlocked

post #102 of 314 Old 05-16-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 153
LoL, you know what they say, measure twice and cut once!
I can't wait to hear how you like them! I wish that someone would order both a DNA360 and a BMS-4550
to do a comparison, preferably on a Seos15 or I guess a Seos12 would work.
post #103 of 314 Old 05-16-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I usually measure 5x and cut once, but obviously last night my head wasn't in it. Oh well, I got my daily sawdust intake so all is good. cool.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #104 of 314 Old 05-16-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:

Wow, if that wasn't self fulfilling prophecy. After a crap day at work I decide to spend a couple hours tonight finishing up the front baffles for my TD6's. I knnnnnnnooooooooowwwwwwwww better. 2 hrs and 4 frigged up baffles later I've got nothing accomplished. mad.gif

Mismeasure.................check
Mismeasure again......................check
Forget to set the stop guide for flush mount ring............check
Let the router take off and jump track and land in center of baffle.............check

Meh, don't sweat it man. I've made more bloopers along the way then I'd care to admit. biggrin.gif In the end you've got to realize that we do this for fun and that any experience gained along the way is positive. cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I can't wait to hear how you like them! I wish that someone would order both a DNA360 and a BMS-4550
to do a comparison, preferably on a Seos15 or I guess a Seos12 would work.

So far I believe both Erich and Matt G are the only few to experience both compression drivers. Both indicated that once flattened out they sounded more similar than different.

post #105 of 314 Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Meh, don't sweat it man. I've made more bloopers along the way then I'd care to admit. biggrin.gif In the end you've got to realize that we do this for fun and that any experience gained along the way is positive. cool.gif

True dat. I can say that now. Last night I wasn't quite so agreeable, lol. I'd hate to admit how many baffles I've toasted lately.

Quote:
So far I believe both Erich and Matt G are the only few to experience both compression drivers. Both indicated that once flattened out they sounded more similar than different.

Well said. For the record, the BMS is superior. *

* Disclaimer: Because I own that one. biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #106 of 314 Old 05-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

I have the both designs for the TD15M-4 using the BMS 4550 and DNA-360 on the SEOS-12 done and am going to try getting some time in today listening to both back an forth to see if I can find anything that stands out between the two. I will also have distortion sweeps of both designs taken at 90dB.
post #107 of 314 Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

^ This man is a DIY animal. Looking forward to the results.
post #108 of 314 Old 05-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The sand enclosed in the bottom of the enclosure is a cool touch, will steal that future builds. Nice job, sorry to read about the routing misadventures it seems we all have nights where even the simplest routine tasks get screwed up, at least I know I do.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #109 of 314 Old 05-16-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I was thinking. Should the moisture from the sand be of concern? Wouldn't want it to destroy the speaker from the inside out!!

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #110 of 314 Old 05-16-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

The sand enclosed in the bottom of the enclosure is a cool touch, will steal that future builds. Nice job, sorry to read about the routing misadventures it seems we all have nights where even the simplest routine tasks get screwed up, at least I know I do.

Thanks. I was originally going to go with stands but figured this would be a better direction, and provide for a better SQ setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

I was thinking. Should the moisture from the sand be of concern? Wouldn't want it to destroy the speaker from the inside out!!

Moisture from what? It isn't beach sand, lol.

Even if it was wet, it's in a plastic bag sealed in it's own compartment. No way moisture would get even close to the speaker. I'll add some drain holes to the bottom of the cab if it makes you feel better. biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #111 of 314 Old 05-16-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Thanks. I was originally going to go with stands but figured this would be a better direction, and provide for a better SQ setup.
Moisture from what? It isn't beach sand, lol.

Even if it was wet, it's in a plastic bag sealed in it's own compartment. No way moisture would get even close to the speaker. I'll add some drain holes to the bottom of the cab if it makes you feel better. biggrin.gif

Oh ok. I wasn't sure what kind of sand it was honestly. Sounds like it should be fine then

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #112 of 314 Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well even though I really don't think I needed an external amp based on the crazy sens of these; I figured what the hell. biggrin.gif Snagged an Outlaw 7125 that will power the front 5 and surrounds. I'll leave the rears to the receiver.

I got the front baffles glued up so all that's left is to route the edges, stuff, wire, paint, and install. Wait; that sounds like a lot. cool.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #113 of 314 Old 05-17-2013, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post

I have the both designs for the TD15M-4 using the BMS 4550 and DNA-360 on the SEOS-12 done and am going to try getting some time in today listening to both back an forth to see if I can find anything that stands out between the two. I will also have distortion sweeps of both designs taken at 90dB.

I can't wait to hear both your subjective and objective comparisons between these two CD's!
I also just want to say thank you for all of the time and effort that you and the other guys have put in on these different projects!
You guys really are the glue that holds this forum together!
post #114 of 314 Old 05-17-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Hopefully as the summer rolls on we can see a comparison of the 360 vs 4550 w/Seos 12, then w/Seos 15, and w/Seos 18. The bigger the waveguide the lower the CD can be crossed over so differences should reveal themselves.
Chris W
post #115 of 314 Old 05-17-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

Hopefully as the summer rolls on we can see a comparison of the 360 vs 4550 w/Seos 12, then w/Seos 15, and w/Seos 18. The bigger the waveguide the lower the CD can be crossed over so differences should reveal themselves.
Chris W

I'm sure there will be plenty of different builds coming up over the next few months. I myself would also like to see if there is any noticeable improvement in the 15 over the 12. The cynic in me says no, but it will be interesting to see.

Achievement Unlocked

post #116 of 314 Old 05-17-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it would be on a per woofer basis. Some may sound better being crossed over lower, while with others it won't make a difference.

Isn't the crossover point on the SEOS15 (850hz) the lowest the 4550 and 360 can go anyway?
post #117 of 314 Old 05-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Ok upon further listening between the DNA-360 and BMS 4550 I can firmly say the differences if there are any are so subtle that I cannot pick up on any, well maybe one. The 4550 does extend past 20k where as the 360 rolls of at 18k, I think I could pick up on that extra extension but for most material It was not noticeable. Now you should know that I cannot quickly switch between the two as I need to pull out the waveguide switch the CD's and then change crossover parts around on the HF board. If I had two speakers one with each CD and an A/B switch I may be able to pick out some of the subtle differences but the way I am able to do it now I cannot.

Graph time biggrin.gif

I'll start a thread for each of these with all the info on DIY sound group as well.

TD15M-4 + DNA-360/SEOS-12 on axis FR and Phase (measured at 1.3m):

0-60 degrees of axis horizontal (measured at 1.3m):

0-30 degrees above axis (measured at 2m):

0-30 degrees below axis (measured at 2m):

Distortion at 90dB (measured at 1m)

TD15M-4 + BMS 4550/SEOS-12 distortion:

0-30 above axis:

0-30 below axis:

Dual TD6M + BMS 4550/SEOS-12 distortion:

0-30 above axis:

0-30 below axis:
post #118 of 314 Old 05-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

I think it would be on a per woofer basis. Some may sound better being crossed over lower, while with others it won't make a difference.

Isn't the crossover point on the SEOS15 (850hz) the lowest the 4550 and 360 can go anyway?

I do believe the SEOS-15 would be a moderate improvement.

Right now with the SEOS-12 using a passive crossover I really could not push the crossover down any further then about 1100-1150hz without with the vertical lobe beginning to point down. If active you would adjust the delay and all is well, not so easy with a passive crossover. About 1100-1150hz is where the crossover for the two TD15 designs ended up, that is pushing the limits of the TD15M, not only does it start to beam around that point (which my measreuemts show is not too severe yet) but it has some breakup starting about 1.4-1.5k which I found to be quite noticeable and annoying at higher volumes while listening to early versions of the crossover. I notched that out which did help a lot but the SEOS-15 would permit a lower crossover point meaning that the breakup could be further suppressed and the directivity's should match up better as well, less beaming of the TD15. Similar advantages would be had using it with the other 15" woofers as well.
post #119 of 314 Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 252
[cough]5dB/division[cough] wink.gif

Nice work from what I can see. How different is the low corner shape/slope between the BMS & DNA-360 network?

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #120 of 314 Old 05-17-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

[cough]5dB/division[cough] wink.gif

biggrin.gif

I was gonna say the exact same thing!

Nice work mtg. Can you show an overly with the BMS / Denovo CDs on 5db scale and 200 to 20khz frequency?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page