Florida Arrays - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Rick Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Here's the L/C/R plus four surround arrays (laying down on the bench behind them).


Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
Rick Craig is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,339
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Excellent. smile.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Tell us a little bit about these babies! I am curious about which drivers you are using? Mids? Tweets?

How do they sound? Can you offer any of your subjective opinions on these arrays versus any other
speakers that you may have heard?
Martycool007 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 05-04-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
maxmercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,377
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Are these Legendre shaded? How do you deal with the HF loss in arrays that need to deliver high SPL in a home theater environment? What is their sensitivity? Are the surround arrays curved or smaller?

These look like a great option for those without much room behind a screen. Arrays offer some terrific advantages: 3dB loss/doubling distance for better seat to seat variation in SPL, vertical directivity control (esp. when properly shaded, lobing can be nearly eliminated), high WAF, but also have distinct challenges: HF loss and subsequent sensitivity loss depending on how you mitigate, and the narrowing directivity with increasing frequency such that they have small listening windows unless delayed/shaded like a CBT. In a home theater environment with listener positions known, they can work very well. But in a multipurpose room, you need either taller arrays or CBT.

These look terrific!

JSS
maxmercy is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 05-04-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Rick Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Tell us a little bit about these babies! I am curious about which drivers you are using? Mids? Tweets?

How do they sound? Can you offer any of your subjective opinions on these arrays versus any other
speakers that you may have heard?

5" aluminum cone woofers and soft dome tweeters. I've built many arrays and these perform very well and were designed for a large high end theater.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
Rick Craig is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 05-05-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Rick Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

Are these Legendre shaded? How do you deal with the HF loss in arrays that need to deliver high SPL in a home theater environment? What is their sensitivity? Are the surround arrays curved or smaller?

These look like a great option for those without much room behind a screen. Arrays offer some terrific advantages: 3dB loss/doubling distance for better seat to seat variation in SPL, vertical directivity control (esp. when properly shaded, lobing can be nearly eliminated), high WAF, but also have distinct challenges: HF loss and subsequent sensitivity loss depending on how you mitigate, and the narrowing directivity with increasing frequency such that they have small listening windows unless delayed/shaded like a CBT. In a home theater environment with listener positions known, they can work very well. But in a multipurpose room, you need either taller arrays or CBT.

These look terrific!

JSS

The shading is proprietary to this design but I can tell you that it works very well. I've set up a test rig that allows me to experiment with Hann,Legendre,etc. so I can compare the results very quickly. Sensitivity is in the 93db range after shading is applied. In some frequencies you actually incease output with the shading due to reducing phase cancellation.

This system is using a DEQX for DSP crossover / EQ functions so we can easily adjust the balance for HF loss. Due to the room design (all speakers hidden) it dictated straight cabinets so the surrounds are straight as well.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
Rick Craig is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 05-05-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
maxmercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,377
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Craig View Post

The shading is proprietary to this design but I can tell you that it works very well. I've set up a test rig that allows me to experiment with Hann,Legendre,etc. so I can compare the results very quickly. Sensitivity is in the 93db range after shading is applied. In some frequencies you actually incease output with the shading due to reducing phase cancellation.

This system is using a DEQX for DSP crossover / EQ functions so we can easily adjust the balance for HF loss. Due to the room design (all speakers hidden) it dictated straight cabinets so the surrounds are straight as well.

Very nice! Great sensitivity as well! Will these get documented on the Selah Audio site like the other arrays, with measurements, etc?

Playing around with shading can yield some not-so-intuitive effects on freq response and directivity. Glad you found a good solution. Shading the MF and HF lines differently can really help things, as I'm sure you already know.

If you can, post up pics of the implemented system before they are hidden from view with screen/cloth.

JSS
maxmercy is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 05-05-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Rick Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

Very nice! Great sensitivity as well! Will these get documented on the Selah Audio site like the other arrays, with measurements, etc?

Playing around with shading can yield some not-so-intuitive effects on freq response and directivity. Glad you found a good solution. Shading the MF and HF lines differently can really help things, as I'm sure you already know.

If you can, post up pics of the implemented system before they are hidden from view with screen/cloth.

JSS

The HT company we built these for may retain exclusive rights to the design so I might not add it to the website. I only saved impedance files because a DEQX was used and the response is a flat line with it.biggrin.gif

I hope to get some pictures myself or have the integrator take some. If the client approves I will post them here.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
Rick Craig is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off