Mfw 15 project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, I think I should Probably introduce myself. I'm Conner, and this is my first DIY build. I've been doing a lot of research and looking at different possible uses for what I currently have and I think I've come up with something that fits my needs. I have an mfw 15 lying around that I want to put in a sealed box. It's going to be used 95% of the time for music, and so a sealed box is fine with me because I don't really have to go below 30Hz for the majority of the content I'll be using it for. I modeled it in WinISD (as well as looked at other MFW builds) and I think that 3 ft^3 sealed would do the trick. The only question i really have is about stuffing. I've looked through other posts and think I know how much I would use for this box size, but I'm wondering how the increase in apparent box volume would affect the driver. I definitely (if possible) would like to be within xmax down to 20-25 Hz with a 250W signal. Modeling in WinISD, I achieve that with the 3 ft^3 box, but was wondering if excursion would increase with added stuffing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-05-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 914
hi, welcome. adding stuffing reduces the q of the enclosure, it does not cause the enclosure to function like a larger enclosure even though that is what most folks believe. the confusion comes from the fact that a larger enclosure will also have a reduced q. in winisd you can model adding lots of stuffing my clicking on "advanced" under the qtc on the "box" tab and changing qa from 100 to a value between about 5 and 10. q will go down, but ultimate driver excursion does not go up. bottom line...3 cubic feet and that driver are fine with 250 watts sealed and stuffed.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, well that makes things easy. Thanks for the explanation about stuffing. I was definitely confused as to the actual purpose of it.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page