post #271 of 482 Old 10-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

Since I don't have an AVR or a "Sound Processor" things are ran drastically different in my system from nearly every other system on the planet.

You can check out this post from my build thread, it explains how I have it all wired up, and what I'm upgrading towards: #655

But in word-form, it's much simpler to follow:

I serve 2-ch music from my HTPC to my Oppo 105 via USB.
For blu-ray movies I use the Oppo 105, the 6 RCA's for the movie channels gets converted to XLR via cleanboxes.
All that gets (optionally) fed and routed into DCX's, and then various XLR pro-amps.

From the point the signal leaves the ESS Ref Sabre32 DAC in the Oppo 105 (which I run in 24/192 upsample mode) the signals are kept in a pure-analog domain (ignoring the optional DCX ADA step I chose biggrin.gif).

I use the XSP-1 to compose a 2.2 signal from the 2-ch signal, which runs in a pure analog domain (dual dual-balanced inputs and quad dual-balanced outputs).
(I assume all analog circuitry in the XSP-1 and Oppo 105 and Cleanboxes are Class-A output devices.)

This gives me 2.2 channels for music and 7.3 channels for movies. All XLR.

The XSP-1 and Cleanboxes level match the gains between movie-mode and music mode. (With the Oppo 105 being the master volume, if I want it to be.)

So I suppose the DCX's are my "sound processor" for management.

In any-case, this yields extremely high-quality sound, matching or exceeding that of McIntosh, Classe and Rotel (etc etc).
I have zero fatigue and no upgraditis for my upstream components, -120 THD and 133 DNR is all I could EVER ask for (or hope to best).

Heheh. Quite complicated but advanced and I'm interested in stuff like that. However, I'm more interested in your bass management setup than how you have everything hooked up. I'll take your word for it that it is all very hi fidelity. wink.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 482 Old 10-19-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

However, I'm more interested in your bass management setup than how you have everything hooked up. wink.gif

I have dual stacked Dayton PA-18's (3ft^3) loading the front corners. Which covers 1khz to 30hz.
I have quad LMS 18's (7ft^3) , LR up front, and on the sides. Which covers 100 or 200hz to 0hz.
I have a pair of Mal 21's (7ft^3) that are awaiting more amp power, and they will fill in the back of the theater 100 or 200hz to 0hz.
I have 7 Cel 15's (5ft^3) all around for 1khz to 70hz or ~40hz.
I also have 6 HO 15's (5ft^3) coming soon for the front stage to do from 200hz to ~16hz.
I also have more 18's; but how many more?... Wouldn't theEar like to know wink.gif

As I mentioned, I can run any number of those as a mono bass, stereo bass, or tri-channel bass, or summed configuration.
post #273 of 482 Old 10-19-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Bass, that sounds like a killer setup! I have long been wanting to purchase an Oppo BDP-105 and run it straight into my amps with no receiver or pre/pro in the signal chain. I think that would be a great way to go, and I will likely do just that sometime around December.

You should do it.

However, if you like it really loud (like me) you will need an XSP-1, because it gives you an extra ~15db of gain that the 105 just doesn't have. You could make-do with cleanboxes if you needed more and had to, but it won't sound nearly as good though.
Also, you will have to forego a lot of features to gain higher sound quality though. The speaker configurator is lacking compared to any AVR or SP I've had in the past... the firmware on the Oppo sort of sucks.
post #274 of 482 Old 10-19-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

You should do it.

However, if you like it really loud (like me) you will need an XSP-1, because it gives you an extra ~15db of gain that the 105 just doesn't have. You could make-do with cleanboxes if you needed more and had to, but it won't sound nearly as good though.
Also, you will have to forego a lot of features to gain higher sound quality though. The speaker configurator is lacking compared to any AVR or SP I've had in the past... the firmware on the Oppo sort of sucks.

What is the XSP-1? I assumed you were talking about a stereo pre-amp from Emotiva, and if so, how would that be of any benefit in a 7.1 type application? Also, what would the Cleanboxes be needed for? Wouldn't it be possible to go straight from the Oppo BDP-105 into some pro-amps like the Behringer iNuke1000dsp that would power the LCR's, one iNuke1000dsp per front channel, via an RCA to 1/4" TRS connector from the BDP-105 into each iNuke1000dsp? I would probably use one of these old NAD or Adcom amps that I have to power the rears, then use a pair of iNuke3000's to power my subs.
post #275 of 482 Old 10-20-2013, 08:42 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

I have long been wanting to purchase an Oppo BDP-105 and run it straight into my amps with no receiver or pre/pro in the signal chain. I think that would be a great way to go ...

Love Oppo, absolute giant killer value and performance. I've been experimenting with variable out disc players, directly into amplification since the 80s. I'm currently config'd differently, not utilizing my Oppo that way, but it is an approach with merit ... if you don't need the flexibility, bass mgmt., etc., there's few things as sweet as direct fed amplification->speakers. Some pieces possess adequate transparency, some don't.

YMMV, experiment and relish in the imaging/resolving power.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #276 of 482 Old 10-20-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is the XSP-1? I assumed you were talking about a stereo pre-amp from Emotiva, and if so, how would that be of any benefit in a 7.1 type application? Also, what would the Cleanboxes be needed for? Wouldn't it be possible to go straight from the Oppo BDP-105 into some pro-amps like the Behringer iNuke1000dsp that would power the LCR's, one iNuke1000dsp per front channel, via an RCA to 1/4" TRS connector from the BDP-105 into each iNuke1000dsp? I would probably use one of these old NAD or Adcom amps that I have to power the rears, then use a pair of iNuke3000's to power my subs.

If you are using DSP amps then you can probably apply enough gain internally to compensate.
The Oppo 105 already has XLR outs for the front two channels so you should be good there; it would only be needed for the center, LFE and 4 surrounds.

It's just that I listen so loudly that I was clipping the output of the 105, which was set to 100 and it STILL wasn't loud enough for my tastes, but 100 was WAY too loud for blu-ray movies, so I was constantly having to touch the volume control or risk blowing up my gear from having it at 100. It wasn't much fun and was risky business.
That's was one of the reasons I added the cleanboxes and an XSP-1; and now I just leave it at 97.

If you are only watching movies with it you should be just fine with a volume of level of about 82, that was the Maximum I used when directly driving amps at least.

The PA-18's are alright, I've fried 2 out of 7 of them already, there QC and power handling isn't the best.
post #277 of 482 Old 10-20-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Damn it, I screwed up two of the cuts on Speakers #3 & 4. I'll have to throw them in the trash and redo them, there goes $100 worth of wood. My fault for not paying attention to what I was doing. frown.gif

I think I might put this project on hold until 2014, and focus on other area's of my theater... my amp closet needs some love.
post #278 of 482 Old 12-30-2013, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will have 23,000watts @ 4ohms going to my 7 SEOS's by the time I call this thread complete. (Can't wait, I'm dying tongue.gif)

I'm not even half way done this build yet, but I finally got around to testing how the SEOS's sound at a higher-than-ear height,

this is 7 inches higher than what the final version will be... but it sounds good (it will sound better 7 inches lower), so I feel that proceeding this way won't be a drastic-mistake or anything.

Progress has been slow but steady, the next item on my purchase-list is more DSP processing power. So that's up next.
The list is big still, I have another ~$5000 worth of stuff that still needs to be purchased before I can say that all materials have even been acquired, let alone... built!

As you can see, I'm very anal about symmetrical stereo-imaging, everything that's on the left must also be on the right, otherwise I lose my mind! LOL wink.gif

Anyway... just a mini-update.
post #279 of 482 Old 12-30-2013, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

I will have 23,000watts @ 4ohms going to my 7 SEOS's by the time I call this thread complete. (Can't wait, I'm dying tongue.gif)

I'm not even half way done this build yet, but I finally got around to testing how the SEOS's sound at a higher-than-ear height,

this is 7 inches higher than what the final version will be... but it sounds good (it will sound better 7 inches lower), so I feel that proceeding this way won't be a drastic-mistake or anything.

Progress has been slow but steady, the next item on my purchase-list is more DSP processing power. So that's up next.
The list is big still, I have another ~$5000 worth of stuff that still needs to be purchased before I can say that all materials have even been acquired, let alone... built!

As you can see, I'm very anal about symmetrical stereo-imaging, everything that's on the left must also be on the right, otherwise I lose my mind! LOL wink.gif

Anyway... just a mini-update.

Looking nice man! What will you be using for processing, playback, EQ, Dsp, ect..?
post #280 of 482 Old 12-31-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm going with 3 DCX's to split, route and EQ the LCR.
post #281 of 482 Old 12-31-2013, 05:22 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

I'm going with 3 DCX's to split, route and EQ the LCR.

Ataboy! cool.gif

Join the club.... The Triple DCX Owner's Club. biggrin.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #282 of 482 Old 01-01-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Ataboy! cool.gif

Join the club.... The Triple DCX Owner's Club. biggrin.gif

I will have to drink up that pink fluid because this abyss is a deep one. tongue.gif
I already have 200 bands of DSP processing power across 14 channels, what's another 12 channels and another few-more bands at this point? eek.gif
post #283 of 482 Old 01-01-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Purchased this just now. Next purchase will be another clone amp, which brings me up to 50,000watts eek.gif because I'm out of power! eek.gif not really power, but channels rather. But power is good too. biggrin.gif

The extension cable is for my headphones (if you are wondering, haha). tongue.gif

This brings me one step closer to finishing this build at least...
post #284 of 482 Old 01-02-2014, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 68
FREE baseball cap....WOW. eek.gif

Your setup is killer and your almost finished. biggrin.gif
post #285 of 482 Old 01-02-2014, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

FREE baseball cap....WOW. eek.gif
Your setup is killer and your almost finished. biggrin.gif

I throw the free baseball caps in the trash, I have a million of them, why don't they give us something useful like an XLR cable and the thing needs 9 of them (or something confused.gif)
post #286 of 482 Old 01-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Bass Enabler

Because they gotta hock off that corporate advertising crap on to someone. PE is just like any normal person who just wants to throw that crap away. tongue.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #287 of 482 Old 01-06-2014, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's already on the west coast. (officially just 2.5 business days)
It took snail-mail a full 12 days to do the same. eek.gif That's why I HATE when people opt for snail-mail to save $8 in shipping costs; (my htpc burns $8 in electricity tracking your package for weeks on end and it still gets here SLOW. LOL)

I always use UPS or FedEx. Always!
post #288 of 482 Old 01-10-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

It took snail-mail a full 12 days to do the same. eek.gif That's why I HATE when people opt for snail-mail to save $8 in shipping costs

For smaller stuff USPS is great - cheaper than UPS/Fedex and only takes 2 or 3 days to get across the country whereas Fedex/UPS take a week or more.

Noah
post #289 of 482 Old 01-13-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, Let's get this party started...

and you know it...

(not even gonna open it, thanks for keeping the planet green!!!)
post #290 of 482 Old 01-13-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First things first, out with the old, in with the new. (LOL... don't ask) redface.gif
post #291 of 482 Old 01-13-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I re-wired my entire system and readjusted all the DSP settings. FEWF eek.gif

I also took the liberty of labeling them this time wink.gif
(There is 18 XLR wires and more to come...)

The top box is for the LCR, the bottom box is for the tri-channel subwoofers (R & L & LFE).
post #292 of 482 Old 01-13-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh weird, I noticed a sound quality improvement.
I don't have any daisy-chained amp connections anymore and I used both outputs of the XSP-1 which is a shorter, cleaner/more direct path, greater channel seperation, and doubles the effective XLR output sensitivity to the DCX's.
Either that or the new DCX has slightly better SQ, maybe a combination of both that and some freed processing percentage.

It's like 1-5% better sounding now. Whatever it is, I ain't complaining!!! smile.gif
post #293 of 482 Old 01-13-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The top two are DCX's, right? What's the 3rd one?
post #294 of 482 Old 01-13-2014, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a new video of it in action, mega bass @ 20hz.

It's a DEQ, I use it for RTA'ing of the in-room response, you play pink-noise and modify the EQ settings in real-time, makes sure it's not out of wack. wink.gif
(Obviously with unpredictable-music it's gonna be all over the map, so...)

You don't really need one (at all), I bought one cause I was curious. It's more suitable to portable rigs that don't have space for RTA computer junk.
in-rack solution.
post #295 of 482 Old 01-14-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just purchased 6 Dayton UM subs biggrin.gif

Changed my mind because these are sexier than HO's, my goal is LCR's that do 15-20hz@-3db LOL wink.gif
post #296 of 482 Old 01-14-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

120db added @ 20hz before room-gain. COOL tongue.gif
post #297 of 482 Old 01-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Nice! I just bought 6 dayton UMs too, but 18s!

Dan
Scott Simonian and Bombelman like this.
post #298 of 482 Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Just purchased 6 Dayton UM subs biggrin.gif

Changed my mind because these are sexier than HO's, my goal is LCR's that do 15-20hz@-3db LOL wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabracer23 View Post

Dan

Very cool....erm, I mean..... Exxxccceeeelllllleeeeennnttt! biggrin.gif
Bombelman likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #299 of 482 Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabracer23 View Post

Dan

They are a tremendous value for the price.
What kind of box will you be putting them in and what are you powering them with?
post #300 of 482 Old 01-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

They are a tremendous value for the price.
What kind of box will you be putting them in and what are you powering them with?

Yes they are! The Ultimax line is one of my new favorites.

For you, I think no smaller than 3cuft and no more than 1kw per driver. You could do dual opposed (if you wish. I'm assuming you're using two per LCR since you ordered six) if space allows.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page